If EA loses Star Wars games license, then who should have it?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So everyone knows how EA uses the sacred name of Star Wars for their own gains. They turned what was supposed to be a fun and nostalgic memories of Battlefront games into grind or pay type of scheme. There even was a rumor about how Disney might take revoke EA's license on the franchise.

So which publisher do you think should have the license for

1. A Single-player narrative driven game
2. An actually GOOD multiplayer game

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Eh, I say let EA hold on to Star Wars if only they could give it to Bioware to make a single player KOTOR game or a Star Wars RPG in a new setting.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
No single studio should have exclusive rights to make Star Wars games. Disney should give studios licenses on an individual basis and everyone should get an equal opportunity to create something based on Star Wars.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Adam Jensen said:
No single studio should have exclusive rights to make Star Wars games. Disney should give studios licenses on an individual basis and everyone should get an equal opportunity to create something based on Star Wars.
I just want a Single Player RPG of SWTOR with real time combat like Gears of War-esque Third Person Shooter Combat for Troopers/Blaster Users and Devil May Cry/Kingdom Hearts style Combat for Jedi/Sith/Lightsabre/Melee users.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
Take a page out of GamesWorkshop's book. Let that IP run free and suck up a few shitty titles in order to enjoy some greats.

What am I talking about? Disney wouldn't allow that to happen.

The problem is I can't think of a single AAA that would be deserving of it... maybe Ubisoft? I know their Uplay bullshit and microtransactions in some games are right bullshit but they're capable of producing some damn fine games from time to time. I'd love to see some Jedi action using the Assassin's Creed engines.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I am not sure if I am serious or joking: Ubisoft. Like Abomination says, Jedi action in the vein of Assassin's Creed would be awesome. Similarly, Far Cry in Star Wars also sounds great. And Ubisoft is like the only triple-A publisher to actually take chances on more niche titles (Valiant Hearts) or unconventional takes on high profile brands (Rainbow Six: Siege), which means they would likely do some cool stuff with the Star Wars IP.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Count me as a second for the Games Workshop approach. If that's unfeasible, give it to CD Project Red.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Abomination" post="9.1055262.24239090 said:
Take a page out of GamesWorkshop's book. Let that IP run free and suck up a few shitty titles in order to enjoy some greats.

What am I talking about? Disney wouldn't allow that to happen.

The problem is I can't think of a single AAA that would be deserving of it... maybe Ubisoft? I know their Uplay bullshit and microtransactions in some games are right bullshit but they're capable of producing some damn fine games from time to time. I'd love to see some Jedi action using the Assassin's Creed engines.[/quote

If you basically want assassin's creed but with a star wars theme, then sure I guess... Because that's about all Ubisoft makes these days it seems. At least for the big releases here in the west.

Why not try something like CD Projekt RED? Heck with their upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 game disney can even see beforehand what CDPR can do with a sci-fi setting.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
If I had to choose one, Bethesda. Because it seems they are the most inclined to make single player games out of all the Western AAA publishers.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
CaitSeith said:
Saelune said:
LucasArts...
First we need LucasArts to be back. I doubt Disney will have it happen.
But why? Like...why does Disney not want their own game developer? For one of those companies that likes to eat up everyone else...it seems a weird line to not cross.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
This. But if I HAVE to choose just one then Devolver Digital easily.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
Yeah, I'd like another Factor 5 Rogue Squadron game for sure. Maybe a Black Squadron game that follows Poe in the events leading up to The Force Awakens.

And (even though I'm Team Jedi, not Team Sith) I'd like Rocksteady to make a Arkham Asylum style sith adventure. If they get directed to a movie tie-in, then maybe an Arkham style game in the undercity of Coruscant following Ventress or Maul in the events prior to their canon appearance as they go from Force-sensitive (mostly melee) assassin to stealing crystals to construct their lightsabers.

Using fear and striking from the shadows and instead of gadgets like Batman, they could use force powers.

And though I'm Team Jedi, it should just be a sith adventure. No lame binary lightside/darkside choices/endings.

Jango/Boba would also be a good fit for a Rocksteady style game, with all their gadgets. It could also maybe be a Kylo Ren adventure, tie in to finding the location of the map to Luke Skywalker and falling under the influence of Snoke.

*Though I'd prefer a Rocksteady-type Sith adventure with a new character and time frame and lore, rather than a forced (pun intended) movie tie-in.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Saelune said:
But why? Like...why does Disney not want their own game developer? For one of those companies that likes to eat up everyone else...it seems a weird line to not cross.
Because the Disney board is made up entirely of business people with no creative experience.

They know nothing about making or selling games. To them games are merchandising, so they have to be cheap and highly profitable immediately, the idea of a game being it's own stand alone franchise doesn't seem to register with them but even so Disney gets 'into' gaming every few years then out of it again very quickly.

Their last serious efforts were Epic Mickey and Disney Infinity. Both were pretty good, but after they discovered that Epic Mickey 2 couldn't achieve the same sales on half the bdget and a third of the time they shut Junction Point Studios and killed off the whole project.

Likewise they killed off Disney Infinity despite it being Amibos (or Skylanders) for Disney, Marvel and Star Wars. The cost of the ongoing development and upkeep apparently being more than they could stomach against the potential for sales.

Star Wars is pretty much a victim of that approach. Instead of spending any of ther own money they close LucasArts in all but name and handed the license to EA. EA has released bugger all but what they have released has been very profitable, so Disney takes it's cut for no investment.

Once EA gets the micro transactions going in Battlefront 2 I expect the lootbox controversy to be forgotten by the board.

Foxcubwendigo

Apr 5, 2018
I think Telltale, Bethesda, Obsidian or Larian should make a Star Wars single player game. No idea who should make a multiplayer game, sorry, I'm not a multiplayer game guy.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Samtemdo8 said:
Adam Jensen said:
I just want a Single Player RPG of SWTOR with real time combat like Gears of War-esque Third Person Shooter Combat for Troopers/Blaster Users and Devil May Cry/Kingdom Hearts style Combat for Jedi/Sith/Lightsabre/Melee users.
Somebody get THQNordic, Platinum Games, Obsidian or Bethesda. More so for single-player, I have no idea, nor I care for multiplayer. And can we just get Star Wars 1313 back, while we're at it.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
sanquin said:
If you basically want assassin's creed but with a star wars theme, then sure I guess... Because that's about all Ubisoft makes these days it seems. At least for the big releases here in the west.

Why not try something like CD Projekt RED? Heck with their upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 game disney can even see beforehand what CDPR can do with a sci-fi setting.
I don't want an Assassin's Creed game with a Star Wars coat of paint, I want them to use their skill with parkour and melee animations to make a Star Wars game.

For all its faults, Ubisoft has some great programmers working for it and I feel their approach to combat would be appreciated.