If I buy Bad Company 2 on Steam, will I be able to play its multiplayer?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Basically the title. Its on sale right now, and I really want to check this game out. I am a Battlefield player, but I have yet to play BFBC2, and I hear it is the best Frostbite Battlefield game yet.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
I just checked the currently playing thing for it and on steam, there's currently 1500 people playing as of 8am (in my timezone) so if that's enough of a population for you, I say grab it. Although mostly everyone still playing is probably approaching god-tier skills.

That being said, I was never a huge battlefield player, but after playing Bad Company 2, I couldn't stop myself from comparing all the other games to it and being disappointed. To me, BC2 feels better than BF3,4 and hardline.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
DeadProxy said:
That being said, I was never a huge battlefield player, but after playing Bad Company 2, I couldn't stop myself from comparing all the other games to it and being disappointed. To me, BC2 feels better than BF3,4 and hardline.
Most people I know will either say Battlefield 2 or Bad Company 2 is the best. I actually found it somewhat humorous when DICE was making Battlefield 3. Many hardcore BF2 fans kept complaining that it was basically BC2 with planes, and many of the hardcore BC2 fans complained that it was trying too hard to appeal to BF2 players.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
DeadProxy said:
I just checked the currently playing thing for it and on steam, there's currently 1500 people playing as of 8am (in my timezone) so if that's enough of a population for you, I say grab it.
Is that the playerbase of Steam only? Because I was thinking that the multiplayer component can only be accessed by those who buy it on Origin. Are they two separate things, or am I playing with people from Origin too?

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Bob_McMillan said:
DeadProxy said:
I just checked the currently playing thing for it and on steam, there's currently 1500 people playing as of 8am (in my timezone) so if that's enough of a population for you, I say grab it.
Is that the playerbase of Steam only? Because I was thinking that the multiplayer component can only be accessed by those who buy it on Origin. Are they two separate things, or am I playing with people from Origin too?
It doesn't use either for its networking, its servers are separate from both. The game predates Origin, IIRC, or at least its forced usage which began with Battlefield 3. The server browser will initially look empty, but refreshing it brings up some games. Google the problem if none come up, I found a solution and got playing it. There's only a few servers now but they're very active.

The single player is actually quite fun, too. Environments are almost as destructible as the MP ones.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
the multiplayer of bad company 2 is still very much alive
I had it installed until like 2 weeks ago and I had no issues at all when playing it online, neither lag nor lack of players

[sub]surprisingly enough, Quake Wars also still has a good playerbase going on[/sub]

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
According to gametracker.com there are plenty of servers up right now. [https://www.gametracker.com/search/bc2/?searchipp=50&sort=3&order=DESC]