If mutants became real, which side would you be on?

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
develop a cure
force injections
only path to true equality

most mutants have some unfair advantage over regular humans my decision is either:
force mutants to be handicapped a la harrison bergeron
go equalist take away their bendi- i mean mutant powers

ive always been contemptuous of natural genius or innate ability, it's a fault i know, but the fact that some 6 year old brat can be as good as or better than me at something ive spent years of my life practicing strikes me as intensely wrong.

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
What side would I be on? What a stupid question. Iron Man's side of course!

Seriously, given the rundown of X-Man powers that most people - not a big fan of the series myself so I assume this is basic/common knowledge - probably have; I'd side with the mutants. A lot of people here are worried about what they could do. You'd have every reason to be worried to if you were threatening them or frightening them. On the other hand... we've got some serious and seriously mutant solvable problems on our little blue green rock. Give them something to do, something productive, and let them police each other. Wouldn't it be great to reshape the world's climate using Storm? "Yea... uh... there's no rain again. Yea, about three weeks... Uh huh. Great! I'll tell the farmers and we'll put out the rain barrels, see in a few hours!" That power alone! Fight them... pha, we'll be trying to be them before long.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Depends. If they can simply lift a wee bit heavier things, or something like that, then let them stay.
But if they really ARE X-men like, i.e. can shoot deadly lasers, control weather, reand my most secret thoughts, then I'd be really, REALLY affraid.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
generals3 said:
000Ronald said:
generals3 said:
000Ronald said:
So you're going to hunt down and 'neutralize' literally ANYONE with supernatural powers? Even if they don't know they have supernatural powers? Even if their powers functionally harmless? If there's someone who has a super-power that he can blow soap-bubles from his hand EVEN WHEN THERE IS NO SOAP AND WATER THERE, are you going to hunt down and 'neutralize' that person?
Depends on how this mutant thing works. For instance, is it hereditary? (as in, if a parent is a mutant the progeny will too) If yes than the least, for those with "harmless" powers, would be permanent castration. But I guess we could allow those with totally useless "mutations" to live on. Although i'd say "retiring" mutants would be the solution if a "cure" cannot be found. Preferably blood wouldn't be shed but if it's the only viable solution to get the world rid of ultra dangerous people than I wouldn't hesitate.
Is that so? What if it's someone importiant, like a senator or a diplomat? Do they get the axe?
Off course, why would they be spared? If anything i'd consider them even more dangerous. I don't care about positions. You may very well be the president for all i care.
Alrighty. Fell right into it. Let me set up a scenario for you.

You're in the military, you're drafted into this super-duper elite unit that does exactly what you described; you kill people with special powers. You start off with small fries; homeless people, minimum wage children, and so on. But you work your way up to where you're offing senators, diplomats, and you top it off by assassinating THE PRESIDENT. Because he has mind control powers or something.

And then, afterwards, you get back to base, and find yourself FACING COURT MARTIAL. Not only were almost none of the people you killed actually mutants, but the person in charge had been using you as his own personal hitman. None of the senators, none of the diplomats you had killed had been anything more than political targets picked out by someone who listened to a bit too much Sean Hannity. And don't tell me that in a world where there is a movement of people who want to kick out The President of the United States because they don't think his birth certificate is real, including multiple solders who refuse to respect the authority of his office this could never happen.

...do you see the problem with what you're saying? You're creating a problem where there doesn't need to be one. You're looking at windmills and running them down on the off chance that they could be giants. Not only is it pointless, but it makes you incredibly easy to dupe. All someone needs to do is make you think someone else is a threat, and you're on a witch-burning crusade. And you kill people. And maybe even the people they're related to; you kind of inferred that[footnote]"Depends on how this mutant thing works. For instance, is it hereditary? (as in, if a parent is a mutant the progeny will too) If yes than the least, for those with "harmless" powers, would be permanent castration. But I guess we could allow those with totally useless "mutations" to live on. Although i'd say "retiring" mutants would be the solution if a "cure" cannot be found. Preferably blood wouldn't be shed but if it's the only viable solution to get the world rid of ultra dangerous people than I wouldn't hesitate." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.849818-If-mutants-became-real-which-side-would-you-be-on?page=2#20992010][/footnote].

While I'm not a soldier myself, I come from a long line of them; my father was in the army, my uncle is buried in Arlington, my grandfather in the navy, and my great-grandfather endured mustard gas attacks in WWI. So I can tell you with the experience of numerous generations that killing someone has never, never made the world a better place. Not once. All it does is leave scars that never heal. And you're suggesting that killing Americans-American civilians, no less, the very people that any decent soldier is sworn to protect-would help anyone? No. That is not how it works.

There may be dangerous people walking around. They may even be inclined to violence. But going out and killing them isn't going to help, it's going to make things worse. It's going to make them more inclined to violence, because they know you're going to kill them. Furthermore, by treating them like enemies, you are going to create the very enemies you are trying to wipe out. And they needn't have been your enemies in the first place.

I just...I can't wrap my head around the willful ignorance you're spouting. It's like you're completely unaware of how psychology works. It's almost like you want an excuse to go around killing people for no reason. It's like something out of Warhammer 40K. That is not a complement.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I think that some sort of registration or tracking system would pretty much need to be implemented.

I mean, think about it: the sheer security implications of something like this are mind blowing, we won't even let people on airplanes with a pair of scissors, what the hell are we going to do when there are people who can shoot lasers out of their eyes and tear a building apart with their bare hands? No Government in their right mind is going to let people with that sort of destructive capability just walk around without some way of keeping track of them.

Then think about what would happen with Police work and law enforcement. Once people discovered there were mutants who could mind control others, every criminal could simply say "I didn't do it, I was being mind controlled by a mutant" and the onus would be on the courts to prove otherwise. Or people could say it wasn't them that committed the crime, it was a shape-shifting Mutant ala Mystique.

Remember in X-Men 2, how Professor X had Cerebro, a device that would allow him to quite literally murder every living thing on the planet, and he's upset because the Government wants to keep track of him? You think!?

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
000Ronald said:
Alrighty. Fell right into it. Let me set up a scenario for you.

You're in the military, you're drafted into this super-duper elite unit that does exactly what you described; you kill people with special powers. You start off with small fries; homeless people, minimum wage children, and so on. But you work your way up to where you're offing senators, diplomats, and you top it off by assassinating THE PRESIDENT. Because he has mind control powers or something.

And then, afterwards, you get back to base, and find yourself FACING COURT MARTIAL. Not only were almost none of the people you killed actually mutants, but the person in charge had been using you as his own personal hitman. None of the senators, none of the diplomats you had killed had been anything more than political targets picked out by someone who listened to a bit too much Sean Hannity. And don't tell me that in a world where there is a movement of people who want to kick out The President of the United States because they don't think his birth certificate is real, including multiple solders who refuse to respect the authority of his office this could never happen.
This could happen... Well not really. You really think one man alone could get special units to kill senators based on bogus reasons without anyone noticing? You can't just make units carry out missions and expect no one else to ask themselves questions. Unless you live in an Empire and that one person happens to be the emperor i doubt so. And heck anyone who has the ability to make such decisions obviously already has so much power senators or presidents are just symbols.

And heck... this could already happen now. Just replace "mutant" with "terrorist". A hunt on mutants wouldn't be unlocking this type of scenarios.

...do you see the problem with what you're saying? You're creating a problem where there doesn't need to be one.
If you don't see any problems with people who could be considered as powerful or more than nuclear weapons running around than we clearly will never agree on this. Personally i'm already very strongly pro gun control because i consider giving your average joe a hand gun already irresponsible. So yeah, mutant super powers... That's societal suicide.

You're looking at windmills and running them down on the off chance that they could be giants. Not only is it pointless, but it makes you incredibly easy to dupe. All someone needs to do is make you think someone else is a threat, and you're on a witch-burning crusade.
You were assuming i would be in a soldier position. Let's get one thing straight: what you're saying applies to 100% of soldiers. A soldier doesn't think, he obeys. And if I were in a higher position, don't you think i'd double check info? You are acting like an ideological stance somehow makes me easier too dupe, that's rather condescending actually, it's not because someone holds a different opinion on how to handle something he doesn't have the ability to use his brain.

While I'm not a soldier myself, I come from a long line of them; my father was in the army, my uncle is buried in Arlington, my grandfather in the navy, and my great-grandfather endured mustard gas attacks in WWI. So I can tell you with the experience of numerous generations that killing someone has never, never made the world a better place. Not once. All it does is leave scars that never heal. And you're suggesting that killing Americans-American civilians, no less, the very people that any decent soldier is sworn to protect-would help anyone? No. That is not how it works.
Oh the american centrism :p I'm not even from the US and it would be on a global scale if it were up to me.

And i'm sorry to say it but that paragraph was an emotionally loaded ideological speech involving little to no pragmatism. Killing people can very well help actually. If I can save a million by killing one or save a billion by killing thousands than i'm going to say killing helps. I'm sorry but i'm not going to risk the lives of millions by letting living time bombs with huge powers walking around. Either i'll defuse them or destroy them.

There may be dangerous people walking around. They may even be inclined to violence. But going out and killing them isn't going to help, it's going to make things worse. It's going to make them more inclined to violence, because they know you're going to kill them. Furthermore, by treating them like enemies, you are going to create the very enemies you are trying to wipe out. And they needn't have been your enemies in the first place.
Aah but you're not devious enough. I would first pretend to be friends and use those who buy it to hunt down the baddies until the opportunity arises for a massive sweep. You see at this point it's not like I could go any lower morally speaking so it's not like manipulation, lies and treachery would pose an issue.

I just...I can't wrap my head around the willful ignorance you're spouting. It's like you're completely unaware of how psychology works. It's almost like you want an excuse to go around killing people for no reason. It's like something out of Warhammer 40K. That is not a complement.
For no reason? I'm sorry but that's just insulting, you're trying to present me as some kind of sadist (even though i explicitly said that if there was a way to neutralize the danger without violence, like using a cure, i would chose that one over the violent way). I gave my reasons. I'd say it's a bit naive for someone to think somehow having mutants with x-men like powers running around can end well. (But maybe we have Hollywood and its happy endings to thank for that?)

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Pro-mutant, of course.

ExtraDebit said:
I'll be on whichever side that's okay with "kill all humans".

If apes were the dominate specie on earth and then human just came about, you don't think humans would kill all apes?
I think you misunderstood OP's question: you are not a mutant. Are you pro-mutant or anti?

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
I side with whatever faction respects everyone's God given rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. So I'm basically going to be everyone's enemy since no matter who's in charge, mobs tend to want to oppress.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Which is the side that has powers but chooses to either ignore them or use them as a conversation starter in favor of watching TV and playing video games?

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Depends on the power. If it can't be controlled, then putting them somewhere far away with people watching over them is a good idea. If I turn out to be the case, then I would totally fight for my rights. However, in most cases where I'm not omnipotent then I'd be equal rights and all that stuff.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Well, if we are talking a world with the mutants from X-men as we know it being real, then the mutant side. How can I refuse a side that has both Sir Patrick Stewart and Sir Ian McKellen leading it?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I do read the books. I'd fall under Sublime's regime - using technology to distill genetic gifts into an aerosol form in order to make them commercially viable to the general public. This simultaneously makes me at least somewhat pro-mutant (though some might find it disgusting), and it evens the playing field. Should a mutant battle break out in my neighborhood, I just take a puff of Megacorp brand forcefield generation and keep on walking.