If mutants became real, which side would you be on?

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
I'd be pro Mutant. Because if that really is the next phase in human development, there's no point fighting it.

It's inevitable. They're going to win.

And I for one welcome our new Mutant Overlords...

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I just read three pages of this Forum, and I cannot believe no one has said this. Now, I would be Pro-Mutant if they where real, but if they where real, Why would we try to "demutify" them? Why wouldn't we try to get on their level? Think about it, there are mutants that can shoot laser beams, manipulate minds, turn into beasts, teleport, bend steal, transform into anyone on the planet! I mean, my goodness, think of what we could learn by studying them! We could make all of Humanity on their level! Human Progress isn't accomplished by "Dumbing" down others, it's made by studying and adapting. Science, Politics, Art, Philosophy, all done through study and adapting. To Demutify people would be to censor television, would be to burn heretics at the stake, would be to ban a book due to it's controversial message. We don't need to Demutify the Mutants, we need to Mutify ourselves to be equal to them. That is the only solution. And the only way to accomplish that is to accept Mutants into society.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Look I feel like a Nazi saying it, but we'd need to have a file of all the mutants on hand and keep tabs on them. I suppose we'd need a goverment run academy for them too.

Because this is the problem, you got people suddenly getting eye lazers and being unable to control it. I would never judge a mutant the way the humans did in the cartoons, but it's a fucking problem if suddenly someone gets the ability to explode like an A-Bomb or something and can't control it, for everyone.

That said, I can never understand how the civilians work in the Marvel Universe. So they'll blindly love Captain America, and they have no problem with the Fantastic Four, but they'll treat Beast like a black man at a motherfucking Klu Klux Klan rally? The hell?

Mr.Mattress said:
I just read three pages of this Forum, and I cannot believe no one has said this. Now, I would be Pro-Mutant if they where real, but if they where real, Why would we try to "demutify" them? Why wouldn't we try to get on their level? Think about it, there are mutants that can shoot laser beams, manipulate minds, turn into beasts, teleport, bend steal, transform into anyone on the planet! I mean, my goodness, think of what we could learn by studying them! We could make all of Humanity on their level! Human Progress isn't accomplished by "Dumbing" down others, it's made by studying and adapting. Science, Politics, Art, Philosophy, all done through study and adapting. To Demutify people would be to censor television, would be to burn heretics at the stake, would be to ban a book due to it's controversial message. We don't need to Demutify the Mutants, we need to Mutify ourselves to be equal to them. That is the only solution. And the only way to accomplish that is to accept Mutants into society.
Well the normies aren't going to want to be like Beast or what not and dealing with the negative effects. They'll just want to be like Superman, so really it wouldn't be equal.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
GamerMage said:
And you actually believe that? You wouldn't even give them a chance to prove you otherwise? I suppose what they say is true: "You fear what you don't understand, and hate what you can't conquer."
Nothing about fear or conquest. Hell, I said in my own post that it'd either be no one is a mutant or every person is; I'd have no problem so long as either of those things are met.

But in the end, humans and mutants would be incapable of co-existing for the most part. Think about it for a moment, there have been studies showing that merely having a gun in the house increases a person's chance of responding violently/aggressively... now what if that person could cause someone to explode just with their thoughts alone?

It has nothing to do with "hatred" or anything. I wouldn't "hate" someone for being a mutant, however I'd acknowledge the fact they technically -could- kill me without breaking a sweat. I mean, for God's sake, imagine some 13-year old in the throes of hormonal rebellion suddenly having access to nuclear weapons, or a toddler that can breath fire having a temper tantrum.

It's a tragedy just waiting to happen.
Even worse, when they first have powers they initially can't control them.

Also imagine someone having Kitty Pryde's power. Like anyone in their right mind wouldn't use it to steal and rob banks.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
GamerMage said:
(Uh, yes? Yes, it could? Ever hear of Waco before?)
Did they kill senators and a president without notice?

(Look up Infamous: Second Son. They call the Conduits "Bio-Terrorists". Fetch (A Neon Conduit)'s parents try to turn her in to the cops. )
You missed the point. What i meant is that there are already people considered enemies and if a crooked higher up wanted it they could also order special units to kill people based on bogus accusation. If you can say a senator is a mutant while he's not why not a terrorist?

But it isn't that easy in reality.

(No, dear, that's what we would call "Missing the forest for the trees". )
Elaborate. What Am I missing here? Mutant a extremely powerful and can cause a lot of damage, mutants are human and thus prone to evil/regretful actions so mutants could cause a whole lot of deaths. What is it i'm missing?

(1. No, generals3... a man chooses, a slave obeys. Which are you, I wonder? 2. Like you?)
Since i'm not a soldier, a man? Although i'd say calling all soldiers slaves is quite rude.

Oh the american centrism :p I'm not even from the US and it would be on a global scale if it were up to me. (You're cold-blooded, you that?)
When i have to be, i'll be cold blooded.

And i'm sorry to say it but that paragraph was an emotionally loaded ideological speech involving little to no pragmatism. (Does everything have to be?)
When your decisions can affect billions of lives, yes.

Killing people can very well help actually. If I can save a million by killing one or save a billion by killing thousands than i'm going to say killing helps. I'm sorry but i'm not going to risk the lives of millions by letting living time bombs with huge powers walking around. Either i'll defuse them or destroy them. (That what you tell yourself,generals3? Amazing how you can justify such actions, isn't it?)
Well it's not that amazing really.

(That's EXACTLY what you'd be doing!)
Yes... isn't that what i just said?

[No,it isn't!)
Yes it is

I gave my poorly defined reasons.
If you think protecting millions/billions from extremely dangerous beings is a "poorly defined", fine i guess.

You're a monster, you know that? I'm half surprised you wouldn't try to find a way to weaponize them for yourself. We're not going to reacha happier ending if we don't at least TRY to reach it first. You're saying you'd just kill them with wreckless abandon. What is WRONG with you?
A monster? No. I'm just the one who'd do what has to be done so people like you, who don't want to make the hard decisions, get to keep their conscience and live. In this world sometimes evil has to be done for the greater good.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"Officially Not My Business"

Occasionally, I'm completely overjoyed that my opinion doesn't matter and I have no say, so I don't have to make a decision. This would be one of those times.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
Spot1990 said:
It's not even about violent mutants. You ever heard of New Son? It's an alternate universe version of Gambit. Who lost control of his powers and killed literally everyone on Earth in seconds. He travelled to different realities and found the same thing had happened in a bunch of them. This is Gambit we're talking about. The guy with the stick and the cards. Letting mutants walk around free would be like letting people buy over the counter nukes at a 7/11.
And are you suggesting that literally every mutant is going to have world-ending powers like that? Or are you suggesting that we ought to treat someone who has a magical, invisible sixth finger on their left hand that can only affect brownies the same as Mad Jim Jaspers [http://marvel.wikia.com/James_Jaspers_%28Earth-616%29]? Do you realize how stupid that sounds? How backwards that sounds? How paranoid that sounds? You're approaching Glenn Beck levels of paranoia there, pal. Step back a bit. Take a deep breath.

I'm not saying that there won't be people with dangerous powers. I'm not even saying that none of those people will be violent. But what you're suggesting is comparable to suggesting all clowns are serial killers because John Wayne Gacey was a serial killer. That's like saying anyone with a gun wants to kill schoolchildren because one guy with a gun killed schoolchildren. That's like saying everyone who plays video games is a violent, mass-murdering sociopath because a handful of people who play video games went on mass murder sprees. That is the level of discussion you are at. Stop and think about that for a moment.

generals3 said:
If you don't see any problems with people who could be considered as powerful or more than nuclear weapons running around than we clearly will never agree on this. Personally i'm already very strongly pro gun control because i consider giving your average joe a hand gun already irresponsible. So yeah, mutant super powers... That's societal suicide.
I considered writing a longer response, but really, this is the only thing I think I need to respond to. Because you're absolutely right. I don't have a problem with keeping tabs on people; I don't even have a problem with keeping a registry of people who have certain powers. What I have a problem with is the idea that there is NO WAY that people with inherent, inborn differences can live together peacefully. And what I especially have a problem with is the idea that someone would be willing to murder children, and their parents, for that reason. People who don't have the power to do harm to you otherwise. It boggles my mind

If there's no way for the two of us to rectify our disagreements, then I will respectfully bow out of discussion with you.

GamerMage said:
(Insert Slow Clap Here) Couldn't have put it better myself. It's people like this we gotta watch for. They make people like us look bad. Ever play Infamous: Second Son? It's main plot focused on this. Heck, it's part of the main villain Augustine's reason for Curdain Cay and the DUP as a whole. ...If I had some amazing powers like Gambit or Delsin's or even Natsu's for Fairy Tail, I'd want to help others. I'd be hesitant at first, (Not sure where I'd start) but ultimately, I'd do it. That's just the kind of person I am.
I've heard of it, but I haven't played it. I played the first one; I really liked it...right up until the third act. I actually threw my controller so hard I broke it at that one point. You know the one.

That being said, I do very vaguely recall there being a story in X-Men where the exact thing I describe happened. That's...kinda where I got the idea.

NSGrendel

Jul 1, 2010
I'm afraid the Codex is very specific about never suffering a mutant to live.

Pass the flamer.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Nice thread I already had this on my mind for a few months.

Personaly I find the use of mutants and other superpowered people as an allorgy for minorities (the mages from dragon age spring to mind) to be completly broken. Because I have never met a homosexual, jew, black person or (insert other heavily discriminated sexual, religious or racial minority here)who could shoot lasers out of his eyes or read my mind.

We can't even trust "the good guys" to use their powers responsibly. Because already people in positions of power abuse that power. Ranging from relativly innocent (diplomats not paying their parking tickets) to genocide. I did not realy have an opinion on this subject until I saw how irresponsible proffesor X uses his powers in Xmen firstClass.

At first I thought just to kill them all. Because while humans have certain rights that is also on the assumption that we are all equals and mutants defenitly aren't equals. But after some thoughts lets just register and sterilise the less dangerous ones and lock up the rest. Either in prison or some sort of special community far away from the civillized world. Or just kill them if none of that is an option.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
I think you get more accurate answers if you force people to make their judgement in a world not just with mutants, but where they are not, and have no chance of being a mutant. Otherwise there's going to be a bunch of people enjoying the x-men fantasy, instead of maybe considering the consequences of those sorts of powers.

Or even better, make the mutants all gay, and of indeterminate gender. See how many are love the idea then. I think it's maybe a little less than the idea of nobly fighting the good fight that people are interested in, than being able to shoot people with lasers, stab people with claws, or rip the earth apart with various forms of psychokinetic powers, and being beholden to no-one, that people really enjoy about these fantasies.

The idea that these groups are persecuted just makes it ok in retrospect. It's a very nerd reaction to perceived persecution.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Neutral. While I am all for equality and rights and apple pie, I will only do so when they remove whatever disease currently infecting them with that terrible of a fashion sense (have you ever seen anyone dressed like that in a normal setting?)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
chinangel said:
pro mutie. The last thing this world needs is even more descrimination and hate: god knows we have enough as is.
Pretty much this. I don't read the comics, but in the various incarnations of the X-men I have seen it always amazes me that the words "Human Rights" never come up while mutants are being herded into concentration camps and what-not.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
000Ronald said:
What I have a problem with is the idea that there is NO WAY that people with inherent, inborn differences can live together peacefully.
Who ever said that? I'm sorry but you're distorting my argument. You've taken one specific type of difference and than extent to "all differences", as if i ever said anything about "differences" in general. We're talking about people with special abilities that make them much more powerful than your average human being (and by extent more dangerous). A person with a mental deficiency is also inherently different but did anything imply i'd want to "neutralize" them? No. That's because they aren't a danger to society.

This isn't about them being "different" (and i want to stress i find it objectionable you tried to make it about "differences"), it's about them being "powerful" and thus dangerous.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
Without reading anything into it say I remain human and boring as all fuck and all the mutant want me dead because reasons well duck it then I will die. You know why? It is due to the fact if the "Kill all humans" fuckers win they are still likely to a very small degree right, you likely had a million people that could grow sodding grove of fruit trees in the bloody desert and people that could give clean water to EVERY PERSON EVER TO LIVE EVER and while you had a good team and a bad team you likely had a war in which at least one good mutant was all "I could kill all the evil fucks or at least the mian evil fuck but wah death /cry" and then he got murdered and then evil guys won. So yeah worst case scenario die to the hands of evil. This is why I like X-Men and to the small degree of comics I know of why i like Marvel more than DC they just tend to do bad guys and congruency better.

There is just so many good mutations that even if we just think of shit we know is real we know also has a hypothetical cure. The only thing we have no cure to is to a hypothetical we never thought could exist, given that may be a mutation it is less likely than a massive about of helpful mutants or even one that counter said hypothetical evil.