If something is given to you for FREE, do you have the right to complain or rant about it?

FLSH_BNG

May 27, 2008
Yeah, I'd say you have a right to complain... I wouldn't unless I was promised it would do something that it hasn't been able to though; otherwise you just look like an ass to everyone.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
You have "the right" to complain about absolutely anything.

Crayven said:
I Work for a chain of supermarkets, who give out free drinks everyday to people for getting a free card. Even then people can complain, belittle or try to abuse me and the people i work with for more free things, not having sugar, spoons or making it with extra ingredients without paying. add to that some people refuse to get the free card and want to just take the free drink. I had a person throw a cup of coffee at me for daring to ask her to scan her card after her leaning over and taking a cup without asking.

Unless it makes you ill, costs you in repairs or somehow causes you trouble you would have avoided without the free thing, you cant complain. just dont take it, or take it and be grateful.
Waitrose free coffee? This is where I work and similar problems have arisen with a recent promotion that what you said was way worse that anything I've ever experienced. It's amazing how quickly people go from "this is free" to "I am entitled to this free thing".

I think that the fact that those drinks you gave out are free is kind of irrelevant to most of that stuff. Throwing coffee in someones' face is never reasonable even if it's at a premium price and full of spiders.

Free samples and free-to-play games can still be completely shit but I think people need to generally temper their rage and complaining instinct based on how much they've put into something.

If you leap straight to outrage for a small thing like running out of sugar then what's going to happen when a display of baked beans topples and breaks both of your child's legs?

A.K.B.

Feb 27, 2014
Nothing should be beyond constructive criticism....
be it free or not.
But in the end, you need to make your criticism concise, on point, backed with a good argument and delivered as courteously from your side as possible....
Otherwise.... How would Anything improve ?

Merrik Blackwater

Mar 17, 2015
I feel that if you are given something for free you have every right to critique it. That is to say you should be free to point out flaws and things that could have been done better. This, to me, is most prominent when developers release a free beta and WANT your critique and criticism. That, however, does not give you permission to say things like: "That just plain sucked" There needs to be some amount of meaning behind what you are saying. Of course that is all just my opinion and I am probably just off my rocker as usual.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I'm offended by the lack of ferrets in the OP.

OT: Absolutely you have the right to complain/rant/criticize anything you damn well please. That's the great thing about freedom of expression. I criticize and complain about League of Legends with my friends which is a free game to play, I've criticized Skype which is a free program.

There are lots of things that are out there for free, and you're free to criticize them however you wish, but you may want to be aware of your surroundings before doing so.

dragoon3zero

Apr 26, 2011
I would complain about it if somebody I know got hurt simply because I got something random or it just completely wastes my time. It would then have negative value.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
If you think it's something bad or something you don't want, then articulate why that is the case, what would make it appealing if that is at all possible and in both cases do so in a polite (or at least non insulting) manner.

Unless your goal is to look like an arsehole, then by all means rant and hurl abuse.

That's my take anyway.

Crayven

Plum tickler
Mar 28, 2011
K12 said:
Waitrose free coffee? This is where I work and similar problems have arisen with a recent promotion that what you said was way worse that anything I've ever experienced. It's amazing how quickly people go from "this is free" to "I am entitled to this free thing".

I think that the fact that those drinks you gave out are free is kind of irrelevant to most of that stuff. Throwing coffee in someones' face is never reasonable even if it's at a premium price and full of spiders.

Free samples and free-to-play games can still be completely shit but I think people need to generally temper their rage and complaining instinct based on how much they've put into something.

If you leap straight to outrage for a small thing like running out of sugar then what's going to happen when a display of baked beans topples and breaks both of your child's legs?
I think it was because she felt i was using her pernicious time for a "pointless" reason and i was daring to assume she couldn't afford the coffee, and when someone is serving you something for free, then they must be worth the same. I feel i should say, most people are lovely, but the few can stick in your mind. I am just glad she has been banned, but ive seen her around a few times, always shamefaced.

Another thing comes to mind, CCP give little gifts out for Christmas and people Complain about there presents because it wasn't expensive.....

rasta111

Nov 11, 2009
If you mean a content creator gives you something for test purposes I think it's safe to say they want your honest feedback... Or if you're talking about something like a free sample in a supermarket my sense of politeness tells me I shouldn't say anything rude and I guess most people would just play along and if they don't like it not buy it.

I guess it would depend entirely on the object in question and it's nature but you always have the right to complain in reality. It's not as if anyone can stop you except you now is it? Doesn't mean you should but I myself value honesty.

Tis better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
Yes, just because you got something for free does not mean that the quality of the item or service were good. But it does not mean that you should witch hunt or attack someone instead of providing feedback or constructive criticism.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Keoul said:
Yes.
I mean someone could seriously gift me shit wrapped in a box and I can't call him out on it just cause it was free?
Awwww.... you stole my example......

Yes of course you have the right to complain. Hell, you do a disservice by not complaining. Assume your mother makes you a dinner(free of charge) but she got the recipe wrong and it tastes awful. Now if you don't complain, she will never know something is wrong and will keep serving you that meal that is slowly killing you inside to eat. If you do complain, she can spot her mistake and fix the problem.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
I think yes, but only if you're not a complete dick about it.

Consider the many many people over the years that have made free games, or art, or music.
Complaining about it in the sense of complaining about having seen it, is a little stupid.

But, if it's sort of, good, but not great (or even quite bad), it may be worthwhile to point out it's flaws anyway.

Assuming it isn't incredibly mean, the creator of it may well appreciate some honest feedback on their work.
After all, they do presumably care whether what they've created is any good or not, and if nobody is willing to say anything negative about it just because it's free, then they will basically never know what they are doing.

Is it good? Is it bad? In what way is it good or bad?
Something specific about it that's dragging it down?

Is it a good idea with a flawed execution? (technical problems, bugs, etc), or maybe it was just a bad idea in general?

How will they ever know a thing if nobody is willing to say anything?

If something is free, the nature of the complaints may have to be different. And arguably, you should be more lenient (especially say, with bug fixes and the like for a free game, because presumably the creator is using their spare time, and may have incredibly limited resources that make fixing certain technical things quite challenging)

The standards may be slightly different, but that doesn't mean you should hold off on any kind of criticism whatsoever.
As long as you aren't being mean about it, and are considerate of the limited resources they may have been working with compared to the kind of stuff you pay for, I think it's perfectly legitimate to voice any complaints or feedback you might have about something even if it's free.

(Of course, if it's free for another reason, such as a marketing stunt or something, that's slightly different again. Because while you might not be paying for it directly, someone was, so that subtly changes things again...)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Of course you do. Who is going to force their own rules on someone else? No one can tell you can't complain about something free because that will make them a dick.

Whether it's a good rant or there is a good reason for it is another topic.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
Yes. What kind of question is this? If someone came up to you with some free rape you'd probably complain wouldn't you? Just because somethings free doesn't mean you have to like it.

TheMightyMeekling

Sep 10, 2014
Einem geschenkten Gaul, schaut man nicht ins Maul.
- German proverb.

If you get a gift, you get a gift, and complaining about it is just being a jackass.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
No, you don't have the right to complain.
However the reason is for me complicated.
Let me give you some examples:

Lets say you go to a Bar and a friend of your want you to buy you a drink to celebrate something. The drink you get it is the most discusting thing you get to put in your mouth. Do you tell your friend the drink suck and you must feel bad for this. No. Turn around, face the Bartender and give him a Hook Punch and see him fall all over the other poisons he serve.

Lets say a customers of your bake for you a pie to say to you thank you for your services [happen a lot in Greece]. However the Pie is made with Lemon. A Lemon Pie. I hate Lemonpie with all Might I have. What I do? I take the Pie and I give it to my other co-workers. I make them happy. They ask you why you did this. You tell them you f*cking hate Lemonpie.

Lets say a friend of your buy you a gift for your birthday. You open the package. It is a F*cking PS2. I hate Playstation. I will be always with PC Maste Race. You say thank you to your dear friend for thinking about you. The Next day you take the PS2 and return it to the store. You take the money. You tell to your friend and you go together to play Starcraft with LAN.

Lets say I am a reviewer and a developers give me a free code of his new videogame to tell him my opinion about it. I play it and sadly it is a big pile of sh*t and I even can smell it from my monitor. You tell thanks to the developer for the code and to expect the review to the next day. The next day you complain about the game to other unknown people.

You see, when you complain about something, you must select your target wisely.
You have and always have the right to complain about something, but always, ALWAYS select the right people to complain about it.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
White Lightning said:
Yes. What kind of question is this? If someone came up to you with some free rape you'd probably complain wouldn't you? Just because somethings free doesn't mean you have to like it.
I know right? A totally shit question.

Wait.. Free rape? Yeah that just went a bit dark there.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
If someone gives me, for example, a free punch to the face, I think I have a right to complain about it... Does that answer your question?

So I'd say yes, you can complain. There's no particular reason why getting something for free should stop you from expressing your opinion about it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
You always have a right to run your mouth and others have a right to run theirs, you have the right to ignore them also.

In general however if you wanted someone to actually hear your reasoning then don't be pissy when delivering the message, because that will immediately stop them from listening and they will only wait their turn to get pissy with you, which will lead to merely a waste of everyone's time.