If the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device on permanent hiatus

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

In short, GW's new no-animation policy means the series can't continue, they can't become a GW partner because their work references too much outside of GW, and even if they could use parody rules to flout the ban, it would still basically be at GW's grace and cause friction in the community for why they get a pass.

So unless GW changes their policy, no more TTS

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I don't understand anything in the OP. What emperor? Palpatine? Napoleon? What's a GW?
It should be a rule that before you start referring to a thing by its initials you need to first type it in full so people have an idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I don't understand anything in the OP. What emperor? Palpatine? Napoleon? What's a GW?
It should be a rule that before you start referring to a thing by its initials you need to first type it in full so people have an idea what you are talking about.
In short, Games Workshop (GW) have placed a complete zero tolerance approach against fan animated material, this has caused the YouTube comedy series (think Dragonball Z abridged) entitled “If the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device” to be permanently shelved by the team making it. The Emperor in this context is The Emperor of Mankind.

Does that clear it up enough?

I have never watched this, I have never played a wargame, and yet I know enough to ask this: Is there anything that Games Workshop won't ruin for no discernable reason?

I mean shit outside of this show I don’t even like WH40k other than appreciating a good visual style, and this is…..well it’s disappointing but to be expected so I’ll just take my good memories of the show and leave it there. And be grateful that’s the extent it affects me.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
In short, Games Workshop (GW) have placed a complete zero tolerance approach against fan animated material, this has caused the YouTube comedy series (think Dragonball Z abridged) entitled “If the Emperor had a Text to Speech Device” to be permanently shelved by the team making it. The Emperor in this context is The Emperor of Mankind.

Does that clear it up enough?
Yes, thank you.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
GW seems hellbent on making its fan community as depressingly grimdark serious-all-the-time as the 40K setting.

Heresy, such has having fun, must be stamped out.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I'm quite bummed. I've been following it a while and I do love the Pillar Fuckstodes and the Yuugi-Oh parody episodes are among my favourite.

This feels incredibly hypocritical of GW. A lot of their current official animation stable came from fan animations. Such as Richard Boyland who was behind the Helsreach animated series who is now helming the production of Angels of Blood. Astartes was originally a fan animation but has since been adopted as an official work and the creator has been hired as well.

So now putting a stop to fan animations, the very thing that helped start their own animation stable? Cause they want to do some weird Warhammer streaming service and monopolize things?

Man. This is fucky.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So now putting a stop to fan animations, the very thing that helped start their own animation stable? Cause they want to do some weird Warhammer streaming service and monopolize things?
I mean, yeah. Pretty much.

OT: Was wondering when such a thread would be made, but also shocked that of all things this series was also affected. I don't have time to watch the video, so can I ask on what fucking grounds GW could have to force TTS to end production? I don't watch the series, but I'm pretty sure it's a parody and a far, far cry from fan animations GW is hellbent on running into the ground.

Their whole "no fan animation" thing honestly sounds illegal, but welp with YouTube not giving a fuck, I can see why YouTubers wouldn't feel safe.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

OT: Was wondering when such a thread would be made, but also shocked that of all things this series was also affected. I don't have time to watch the video, so can I ask on what fucking grounds GW could have to force TTS to end production? I don't watch the series, but I'm pretty sure it's a parody and a far, far cry from fan animations GW is hellbent on running into the ground.

Their whole "no fan animation" thing honestly sounds illegal, but welp with YouTube not giving a fuck, I can see why YouTubers wouldn't feel safe.
It doesn't really matter whether or GW's 'no fan animation' policy has real ground to stand on. It's been shown time and again that fighting copyright strikes is a soulsucking and costly endeavour, one that most content creators can't afford to be tied up in, and Warhammer youtubers are overal pretty small time. GW knows that as a corporation they can just browbeat people into submission.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia

From the sounds of the video, the creator doesn't want to risk his future with TTS. He's got a family to feed and bills to pay, so he's thinking ahead. And GW hasn't been the most fan friendly organization anyway.... just look at their model prices. GW hasn't actually approached him asking him to shut it down, but he's not comfortable riding on it anymore with the new stance the company has taken.

Even if he's in his right and could potentially win a court battle if it ever got to that - such things have a cost. Legal fees and the loss of his livelihood during the battle. Just YT copyright strikes are probably bad enough, and these would just demonetize his channel on the regular.

So yeah, Bruva Alfabusa just doesn't want to risk things. And if he officially approached GW asking for permission - that might just shine a light on his channel which I think he'd rather just preserve even if he's not working on it.

Even if GW hires him and adopts the TTS series, it can't remain unchanged. There's too much parody and references to other IPs, and so that's off the table.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
GW seems hellbent on making its fan community as depressingly grimdark serious-all-the-time as the 40K setting.

Heresy, such has having fun, must be stamped out.
Brother, get the De-monitizer. The heavy De-monitizer.

-Games Workshop exec. Probably.

Reactions: Chimpzy

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So I actually decided to check out this content, as I keep seeing it pop up. I usually ignore WH/WH40k stuff, but I watched the fan made introduction to the human empire here.....

and holy fucking shit is this stuff SO goddamn silly :LOL: I mean, seriously, just, listen to what this uber-serious british guy is saying, with such gravitas. It's like the edgey edgelordness of a 12 year old

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Fucking hell, TTS was the best thing to come out of 40k in years.
GW seemed to have been pulling their collective heads out of their asses for a good while now and having a bit more of a live and let live policy.
I suppose from what people have been saying (too lazy to watch the video) they haven't specifically gone after him, but I can understand his decision I guess.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
and holy fucking shit is this stuff SO goddamn silly :LOL: I mean, seriously, just, listen to what this uber-serious british guy is saying, with such gravitas. It's like the edgey edgelordness of a 12 year old
Yeh, there's a reason the term"grimdark" originated there. But it wasn't always like that. Ok, no, it was, but in the earlier years, like late 80's to mid-late 90's, it had some tongue in cheek awareness of how brutally ridiculous it is, represented by some really silly factions, models and rules. Nowadays? Not so much. Except the Orks, they're still allowed to be goofy.

It's why I like TTS so much, as do a lot of people presumably. It takes that uber-serious edgelord lore, and makes it fun again with lots of profanity-laden humor.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So I actually decided to check out this content, as I keep seeing it pop up. I usually ignore WH/WH40k stuff, but I watched the fan made introduction to the human empire here.....

The primer is a bit over dramatic, but believe me, that very edgelordness is one of MANY aspects of WH40k that this show skewers mercilessly. I too basically ignore WH40k but this shit is hysterical.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The primer is a bit over dramatic, but believe me, that very edgelordness is one of MANY aspects of WH40k that this show skewers mercilessly. I too basically ignore WH40k but this shit is hysterical.
Is it really overdramatic though? REALLY?! I mean seriously, given the context of the setting, he's just....saying the shit that someone else actually wrote down and was like "yeah, that's totally legit content there." :LOL:

I just think it highlights how ridiculous the entire premise is, by discussing it in the very tone the people living in that world would probably use. I'm sure the show mocks everything in the franchise, and I'm on ep. 3 right now, had to stop watching due to work. But yeah, it's amusing to watch them make fun of it.

But, holy shitballs just the premise itself is hilarious to me. It's like the amount of seriousness in the setting, is inversely proportional to how serious anyone actually takes any of it.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

Now watch what REAL 40k is like