If The Government Is Watching You Online, Facebook Will Tell You

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
If The Government Is Watching You Online, Facebook Will Tell You

Stamos clarifies that receiving such a notification doesn't mean Facebook has a security breach. It's more likely your device is infected with government-level malware which is quietly monitoring your data. "It's important to understand that this warning is not related to any compromise of Facebook's platform or systems," Stamos continues, "and that having an account compromised in this manner may indicate that your computer or mobile device has been infected with malware. Ideally, people who see this message should take care to rebuild or replace these systems if possible."

Perhaps what's truly significant about this announcement is what we don't know. Facebook doesn't seem to disclose which country is targeting you, whether foreign or domestic. It's also refusing to discuss how it determines a state-sponsored attack has occurred, likely to prevent hackers from finding ways around it.

That all said, unless you're using Edward Snowden's Facebook profile the chances of receiving such a notification are very low. Still, knowing the option exists might give some peace of mind to security conscious individuals - at least until the next big data breach occurs.

Source: <a href=https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-security/notifications-for-targeted-attacks/10153092994615766>Facebook, via <a href=http://www.techtimes.com/articles/96749/20151018/facebook-will-now-notify-you-if-it-thinks-your-account-is-being-hacked-by-the-nsa.htm>Tech Times

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Moible phones are the worst way to secure things. According to Snowden, the GCHQ here in England are using and have the ability to take control over mobile phones remotely.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Is this relevant for Canadian Facebook users too? Sometimes we don't get the same things up here with websites and services. <.<

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Christ. Thanks Facebook. Now when will you alert me when you do the exact same thing?

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Chaosian said:
Christ. Thanks Facebook. Now when will you alert me when you do the exact same thing?
They've probably already alerted everyone that they themselves do it too. That sort of thing is usually written in the ToS / Privacy policy. It's just that those things are so long and complex that most people skip over it and simply click the "I accept" button at the bottom.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Mmm, yes, Facebook will alert you when the NSA is spying on you.

However, it won't stop data mining or colluding your data to sell to third parties(which can be accessed by the government just as easily, in fact more so than just hacking into your account) and it will probably continue to pester people to put in their full details on their page.

Yeah, whatever. As some people have already said, monitoring doesn't end there. It can go through phones as well, and whilst we're somewhat privy to the NSA's methods, the GCHQ here in the EU are much worse and we barely know anything about how they conduct their business.

cinloopeno

Jun 9, 2017
all this internet insecurity can really put you on a edge . what a lot of people do is hire hacking services, have their own hacker buddy who they call upon during desperate times . fro hacking social networks to going invisible and buying a new identity. hacking your credit score and erasing your debts. hacking has never so readily available until now. hire a hacker , contact hacktillinfinity at gmail dot com. i trust him to provide me reach services .