If XCom and Jules Verne Had a Kid, Would it be Renowned Explorers?

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
If XCom and Jules Verne Had a Kid, Would it be Renowned Explorers?

Did you play Reus? Did you like it? Well, developer Abbey Games has something for your inner Indiana Jones.

Abbey Games, maker of Reus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124110-God-Game-Reus-Asks-You-Mighty-One-To-Aid-Puny-Humans], is working on something new to please your inner Indiana Jones: Renowned Explorers: International Society. Want some turn-based tactical fun, in the heart of an untamed jungle? Maybe you fancy your chances talking your way past that giant scorpion, or - if you were sensible - maybe you hired Ivan, so he can go buck-wild crazy on its eight-legged butt. It's Jules Verne meets XCom, only with fewer Mutons and more zombie pirates. Not that there are zombie pirates. It's just a myth. I hope.

The game world is based on popular 19th century beliefs, when large chunks of the map were still marked off as 'we don't know, but we think Prester John lost the source of the Nile right about here.' Each explorer is unique, with their own abilities and skill trees, and you have different ways of dealing with each problem the game throws up. Maybe you'd prefer your intrepid adventurer try a bit of smooth talk with the emotional interaction system, or perhaps you'd rather try the Captain Caveman school of diplomacy instead.

[gallery=3058]

It's a randomly generated world, so expect to find new things around the corner, including exotic areas and cultural capitals as well as trackless wilderness. When you've scooped up as much loot as your greedy arms can carry, it's back to the museum, where all your successes are recorded.

When this finally launches, sometime in 2015, it'll be on PC, Mac and Linux, price TBA. If this is enough to whet your appetite for adventure, better head over to the website [http://renownedexplorers.com/#]. There's a newsletter you might want to sign up for. Just don't drop anything on the floor; there's no maid service here!

And Man

May 12, 2014
I'll have to keep an eye on this. It looks pretty interesting, and I enjoyed Reus quite a bit.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Hex-based combat is reminiscent of Panzer General and has nothing to do with XCOM at all. Julius Verne is also a stretch. Yes, there is the concept of adventure in the title, but the Caribean setting is characteristic of a ton of other more relatable things.

Monkey Island meets Panzer General is much more closer an approximation.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jules Verne meets XCOM? That's...a dodgy comparison.

Regardless, I liked Reus, it was very calm. I hope this game retains at least some of the relaxed atmosphere.
blackrave said:
Why do people like hexagon grid?
Square grid is so much better.
I beg to differ. Hexagons give you way much more tactical flexibility.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I am so many levels of down for this game and I have no idea why.
It just speaks to me, also there's a luchador, I fucking love luchadors.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
interesting; another setting analog would be New Horizons, a strategy game by Koei on the SNES which was set during the Age of Exploration (though admittedly that was several hundred years before this). Anyway, I do like the idea of a game set in something straight out of one of those Doc Savage pulp stories. Sign me up

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
Jules Verne meets XCOM? That's...a dodgy comparison.

Regardless, I liked Reus, it was very calm. I hope this game retains at least some of the relaxed atmosphere.
blackrave said:
Hexagons do offer more flexability but I also prefer squares, I don't know why, they're just more aesthetically pleasing.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Cowabungaa said:
blackrave said:
How 6 directions give much more tactical flexibility than 8 directions?

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
Hex grids avoid the issue of diagonal movement that appears in square grids where you're forced to approximate the cost down to either 1 or up to 1.5 from the real value which is closer to 1.41. That said hex grids run into an issue when dealing with straight walls, which are a normal construction feature. Both have their purposes, but for combat in an open environment hex grids tend to produce fewer anomalies.