If you could change ONE thing about FFX?

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Glad to see I'm not the only jaded former FF fan in here. :3
I'm sure there are plenty of us around - FFX was the turning point for a lot of people, but from what I hear the games since then have been incrementally worse with each installment. I'm surprised the franchise is still limping along, honestly.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
GundamSentinel said:
Rawne1980 said:
Remove Tidus completely.

Set Auron as the main character .... he needs no companions.
How about this idea: tell the story of Brasca, Jecht and Auron. Their pilgrimage would be so much more epic.

Nah, I liked FFX the way it was; the good and the horrible bad. New voice overs wouldn't be a bad idea, but I think I'd miss some of the camp and awkwardness of the original. Okay, scrap the laughing scene, that one has to go.

Oh, and scrap/completely rework the blitzball and chocobo minigames. They were so frustrating.
I've been saying for coming up to a decade that a prequel showing Braska, Jecht and Auron's pilgrimage would be amazing.

Tbh I have no issues with FF10 that I'd consider deal breakers. Re-dub the game would be good maybe because some of the voice work falls a bit flat at times, make the celestial weapons, super bosses, in fact screw that: make the entirety of the post game less dull and tedious. There's so much to do after the story in FFX but so much of it requires grinding and crap side quests that I could never be bothered to do it all. Also; make al bhed primers available and change the locations of the ones you can miss, or just have subtitles in english and remove that mechanic altogether -_-

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Remove tidus entirely and make either auron or yuna the main character, re-work the animations so those things act like human beings, re-make the dub so there aren't any more unnaturally long breaks littered through all conversations.

Ah hell, it's a lost cause.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Fix the lip synching, and you fix the one major problem I have with FFX. Everything else is fine.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Mega shame they didn't pick, idk, any Final Fantasy 'before' X, virtually couldn't have gone wrong, but oh well *sigh*.

clunky controls, slow movement, irritating characters, slow story line, I mean, its so hard to pick just one thing to improve upon out of all of the faults. Maybe the swimming european handball game stuff, that was just way too hard and annoying. If they refined the entire game, it is possible for the underlying final fantasy to 'possibly' shine as a good game, anything is possible really, so many niggling things about this particular game though (could be worse, could be FFXII).

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Broady Brio said:
Change Tidus' hair so he doesn't resemble Meg Ryan.

Second place goes to the removal of this. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0]
Tidus has bad hair?
Have you seen this dude?

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Considering that FFX is my favorite game in the series, I'm tempted to say 'nothing', but as is the case with any older game, improvements could of course be made. Can't think of anything off the top of my head, though. Maybe a few extra areas to explore? Fixing Blitzball (hated that minigame)?

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Swap out Tidus. Entirely. Most Square rpgs already have effeminate looking men, I don't need an effeminate acting one as well.

Given 2 options I'd make his final sword look better. And/or take the highest damage in game move away from Waka.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Well... maybe actually give it a world to explore? Most of that game is on a rail, which was really disappointing after playing FF7 and FF8.

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
HardkorSB said:
Broady Brio said:
Change Tidus' hair so he doesn't resemble Meg Ryan.

Second place goes to the removal of this. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0]
Tidus has bad hair?
Have you seen this dude?

True. But you have the glory of kicking the crap out of him. Several times. With Tidus, you see his head, constantly.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
as someone who got into the FF series because of FFX, i wouldn't change much.

1) make all of the monsters you fight before the Calm Lands count.
2) make it a little less ridiculous to get the celestial weapons

i actually loved the CTB system. rewarded planning every move (and you could see how it would effect the turn order) without that annoying 'i just inputted everyone's moves, but i have no idea if the monster will hit in between those turns' that the ATB system has (i still like ATB though).

the character designs were actually pretty awesome - and uniquely FFX. sorry to your definitions of masculinity, especially when it comes to teenage boys, but Tidus was fine (is it because he's a teenager or because just the design of a teenager - which outside of hair color, sounds like a typical emo kid to me).

Slvrwolfen

Sep 10, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Rack said:
-Small-scale-
Why not? By killing Yunalesca, the ability to make another Sin was lost forever. After that, there can never be another one even if NO ONE is badass enough. This is what happens when your resurrection plan is external and dependent on mass manipulation. The idea is that eventually, enough people get tired of it and go badass. The story focuses on what happens WHEN that happens, not when the same pattern is repeated forever. The story is "This is what happeend when the world changed". It isn't the same if nothing happens.

EDIT: Hey, I just thought of something. Lavos came to the Earth to use and manipulate all the power of the world and its lifeforms towards its own evolution. It's a time-traveling, space-going badass, but...you'd kill it in a heartbeat, right? Rather than accepting the inevitable?
Actually, it is said in the story later on that the 'Final Aeon' you'd get from Yunalesca is in fact not needed for Sin to resurrect. Any Aeon would work, it'd just be weaker due to not being made from a fresh sacrifice and instead just the dream of the Fayth. Remember how you have to fight all of your Aeons in the end? That is when Yu Yevon takes over them and tries to make the new Sin out of them. That is when you realize that in order to win you must sacrifice all of your past friends, the Aeons. The only thing Sin/Yu Yevon would've had to do even if the pilgrimages did stop, was to attack and devour summoners that still had their Aeons and take over the Aeons.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
WhiteFangofWar said:
Better side quests to get the Celestial Weapons/other optional things.

FFX has one of the largest and most diverse selections of bonus bosses of any game, but without the ability to break damage limits and gain the needed stats quickly, a lot of them are just too obscure, frustrating and boring. The game is one of my top favourites of all time, but who thought dodging 200 lightning bolts in a row was a good or even achievable idea? The same person who thought it would be fun to require you to win a Chocobo race in 0 seconds, I guess.

On that note, instead of Meg Ryan, Tidus' hair actually reminds me of Chocobo feathers. Maybe that's why his ultimate weapon is the one you do the races for.
My thoughts exactly, they should make them pick-up items like the crests. Also another problem is where some of the collectables are. The Sun Crest for example is all too easy to miss and if you do, you have to fight one of the toughest Dark Aeons in the game to go back for it. Another Dark Aeon also blocks one of the Jecht Spheres for Auron's Overdrive.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Sieg Firebrand said:
With a remake/ remaster of Final Fantasy X coming in the near future I thought it would be interesting to find out what my fellow escapists would change if they could change one thing and one thing only.

This came about from a conversation I had with a friend where we decided we would probably either change the voice acting for certain characters (Tidus, Wakka and Rikku mostly) or change some of the character models (Seriously Tidus? Leather Lederhosen?)
Personally, make status effects worth a damn!

On small enemies you might as well 1 hit the fuckers or just spam attack 'cos the fight wont last long enough to be worth putting them on. On boss type creatures they are immune to about 99% of them and the ones they aren't immune to are pathetic, like moving them down 1 attack turn.

I mean of course you can't cast death on Seymore but let me petrify him or something.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
MORE BLITZBAAAAAALL!

Seriously, how awesome was Blitzball? I would avoid going to Zanarkand just so I could keep playing games of Blitzball and look for people to hire.

Mauso88

A Simply Dignified Manly Man.
Feb 3, 2011
All I remember was the story progression stopping dead until I'd farmed a billion AP and learned almost every sphere for every character, I'd make it so you can actually finish the game while you still have your own natural hair and teeth left.

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Kinguendo said:
MORE BLITZBAAAAAALL!

Seriously, how awesome was Blitzball? I would avoid going to Zanarkand just so I could keep playing games of Blitzball and look for people to hire.
Sadly it seems you and me are the only ones who liked Blitzball T_T

I'd change the way you get the Celestial Weapons, those idiot tasks can go to hell.