If you could Direct The sequel to any game...

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
roushutsu said:
My first immediate thought is a new NiGHTS game. I thought Journey of Dreams was a pretty decent sequel, especially considering it was 10+ years after the initial hit, and if Sega wasn't in the financial shape that it's in I'd be hoping that the series would continue.

First and foremost, I'd keep the crazy bosses. No doubt, they were some of the best parts in both games. As for the rest of the game, I'd tone down on the mini-game feel that Journey had, maybe divide each stage into 3 lengthy sequences, each with their own little quest or something. This would also avoid having to re-use missions every frigging level. *coughOctopodcough*

As for the story, I'd focus more on the rivalry between NiGHTS and Reala, maybe even detail of their relationship prior to NiGHTS's betrayal. Maybe somehow make it a parallel to the kids' stories. While I applaud Journey for trying to implement a full-length story into the game, the best (and pretty much only interesting) parts were when Reala showed up.

You know, I was going to say NiGHTS, but you pretty much took the words from my mouth. Well done.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
I'd love to take a swing at a sequel to Master of Magic. The world has been waiting eighteen years for MoM2; it's been long enough. It's time once again to bring together custom mages, magical races, multiple planes of existence, artifact creation, and 4X turn-based gameplay into the world. And this time it'll be multiplayer!

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
A CSI-style game but...

As an RPG with a system that can randomly come up with cases, motives, suspects with a fixed smll percentile chance of the cases being linked to a serial killer/arsonist/thief.

You earn an income through your job and you can buy cars, apartments, magazine subscriptions, etc.

You would need to furnish your apartment and some things can give you a bonus to your skills. Computer aids general research. Entomology starter kit allows you to use bugs as a rough timeline, Chess will allow you to link evidence in more concrete ways, etc.

Relevant Magazine Subscriptions will allow you to gain a bonus as well.

The most important aspect of the game? No immediate failure state. If you fuck up, the bad guy/s go free and your colleagues like you less. Perform exceptionally well, they like you more.

Screw up enough, you will be fired.

Depending on how the team developing this would feel, add other options...

Say someone tries to bribe you to get someone off? Threatens you? Would you intentionally screw up for that reason? Would you tell your supervisor?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Matthew94 said:
EHKOS said:
...with my avatar? Do I really need to say it?
Yeah, you do. I have no idea what it means. It reminds me of Naughty Dog but that isn't a game.

Sorry :/
The greatest gaming sin in my opinon is giving the licesense of a franchise over to another studio. It's ruined many great games like Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter. Oh and Spyro.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Sixcess said:
Duke Nukem in Escape From Development Hell

The game would pick up immediately following the end of Duke 3D, with Duke being dragged into a hellish alternate dimension. This is Development Hell, where game franchises go to die, and Duke must run and gun his way through the ruins of dead and forgotten game franchises to escape.

Gameplay would be unashamedly retro - lots of guns, lots of health, lots of enemies. No cover, no regenerating health, no QTEs.
I like that. I, myself, have been wanting to know what the earlier builds of Duke Nukem Forever were going to be like.
Particularity, the 2001 version.

There are so many sequels I would love the lead...

Zapper 2, sequel to Zapper: One Wicked Cricket! It's gotta have more levels and words, puzzling mechanics, power-ups and maybe even multiple boss fights. Also, Zapper's character could be explored a bit further, considering...
...he's a bit of an anti-hero in a basic sense. He didn't rescue his brother out of nobility, but, because he made a good TV hookup.

Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 3, sequel to Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2. We could see at the end that Bridget Bleu had more planned, even further than Plastro! This needs to be explored. Sargent Hawke and Vikki might even be getting... married!? Dr. Mad still hasn't been seen, only mentioned. And there really should be vehicles that you can drive, and not just shoot. And more than just tanks and helicopters. More nations should be seen, and there should be a giant teddy bear!

Zero Wing: Infinite, sequel to Zero Wing. Maybe, just a simple "2" will do. You know that old phrase, "All Your Base Are Belong To Us"? It came from Zero Wing. Despite the bad translation, it was actually quite fun to play. A revival of the series might include an HD version of the first game to bring people up to speed. A sequel would have to be entirely 3-D, possibly playing vaguely like StarFox.

Frogger 3, sequel to Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge. Bring back the open-world gameplay, and huge challenge from the first game, with the cast and bonus content of the second. Explore levels of ice, candy, farms, deserts, a digital dimension, and more as Swampy attempts to fulfill his plan to use the froglets to power the mechanics necessary to create his own game.

Break-Out 2, sequel to Break-Out. Bouncer saved his friends and defeated Batnix, but... I Got nothin' on a story, but the original game was fun.

I'd also love making sequels to stuff like Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, The Incredible Machine, BattleTanx (maybe reboot it), Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, 007, Mario, Sonic, and even Call of Duty, so, I could give it come culture, innovation, and decent quality. And fun. Fun is important, too.

Surpheal

Jan 23, 2012
A game that had promising ideas out the ass.

I would make Lair 2.

The controls for flying around on your little dragon mate would be more like those of pretty much any game that includes flying airplanes. There would be absolutely NO motion controls what so ever, at all, and if anyone was to merely mention anything associated to them they get shipped off to Papua New Guinea. Combat will stay similar, using fireballs and mid-air skirmishes in flight, and fireballs, flamethrower, claws and feeding while on the ground. It might stay a linear level to level game, or maybe have a [Prototype2]-like over world with missions and such. The story would not be related to the first game, and the more you progress the more dragons you get to have in your little dragon stables, which you can go to and switch the dragon you are riding on. Hell, might even add multiplayer that would have you engaging aerial and ground based targets and what not.

But mostly, I just want to fly around on a dragon raining down death as you can only do on a dragon.

dragon

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
If I could take charge of any dream game project what would it be?

Hmmm....

Well, I'd either break into Rare, rehire the decent designers that left, and get them to work on both a sequel to Conker's Bad Fur Day AND an actual GOOD sequel to Banjo-Tooie. (and retconing Nuts and Bolts)

Or, I'd head over to Relic Studios and tell them to stop with the incessant Warhammer 40K stuff, drop the current Company of Heroes sequel, and get to work on a third installment in the Homeworld series. If only to make up for the decent but somewhat lackluster story of Homeworld 2. (and to live up to the status of 1)

Those, honestly, would be my dream projects. Ones I know will never happen but given the power would do all that I can to make them real.

Though, I wouldn't mind working with id Software on a decent new Doom or Quake game. Those games are B-grade sci-fi but there's literally no reason they couldn't become amazing. A touch of decent writing could do wonders for them.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Advent Rising 2 of course. One of the best and most original sci-fi games to ever come out and one that will probably never get a sequel now.

Although I would clean up the gameplay a bit, add more diefic powers, and more guns. Story wise I would delve into the reasons why aliens believed humanity would become gods, how that happened in our natural evolution, and even give a glimpse into the identity of the creatures pretending to be human gods to the rest of the alien species.

Oh and I would put in some actual roleplaying and choices as Ethan. That way you were making a story instead of watching one unfold

jarkhideous

Mar 18, 2011
Matthew94 said:
Deus Ex 2: I'd make it not shit. (Human Revolution was a prequel)

MGS4: I'd take the cutscenes and put most of them in codec form.

System Shock 3: Expand on SS2's gameplay but have it be completely separate from SS2. No SHODAN or anything.
as far as MGS4 goes maybe you would prefer MGS:peace walker more then. almost everything is in codec form.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
You know what? I want to make a Bubsy game. You can press the control stick in a certain way to direct your claws. There is a double jump, a life bar, and it is not in 3d. We all know what happened last time...

After that, who knows? Kao the Kangaroo?

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
Mirrors Edge 2

I would make the contextual actions much more lenient. I would want a lot of the actions to feel more fun and intuitive like assassins creed. I feel like the whole flow of that game would come crashing to a terrible halt when you would miss a grab by a millimeter.

Also I would alternate between linear "racing" missions, and stealth missions(with some decent stealth AI) These stealth missions would focus on climbing and fitting through tight places to either avoid or slowly ghost a superior force.

Also, when you disarm someone, you would have to shoot them to kill them. I don't know why but that always bothered me lol