If you could experience one game for the first time again, which would it be?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
A tie between Homeworld 1 and Homeworld: Cataclysm. Both games just blew my mind. Though I'd probably have to go with Cataclysm to be honest.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Stalker SoC. it was the most unique and innovative game of its time. and possibly one of the greatest FPS ever. its the game that i played first i was blown away.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Strange, whenever I see threads like this Planescape: Torment seems to dominate the responses. Which is a fair answer.

As for me, I'd have to go with KotOR II: The Sith Lords. It's now my favourite game of all time, but after my first 'playthrough' I actually hated the game, because of a bug that caused the game to be unfinishable. I poured so many hours into it trying to work out what went wrong that when I found out I got rid of the game and didn't play it again for years.

Such a fantastic game when it works though.
Fappy said:
Considering I just played through Undertale for the first time a few days ago, I suppose I will go with that. It was just such an incredible journey. I want to play through it again, but know it won't be nearly as special a second time.
Seeing as it was your first playthrough I imagine you got a neutral ending? If so, then yes you should definitely give it another run through.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
Barbas said:
Dragon Age: Origins, because my experience with it left me quite emotional inside, in a good way. The music was so beautiful and the struggles so real that I felt attached to every companion I made on my way through the giddy highs and hellish lows of that world. Earth was better then as well, but no amount of hammers to the temple will bring that back. All you can really do is get drunk.
Boom. Same here and funnily enough i just posted a thread about it.

An honoury shout would have to go to Morrowind. Ye gads how that drew me in! It felt as if I'd walked into another world, and I actually changed my job to accomodate it lol.

Final shout to Actraiser. Had it as a pre-teen, booted it up for the first time at about 8am in the morning, stayed glued to my Famicom all day until I finished it about 12.30am the next morning. It was like the perfect one day romance, and every single second was a high.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Knight of the Old Republic.

That late game reveal, you know the one, that blew my mind. And yes, I know people say the amnesia at the start was a dead give away. It might have been, but the games I was playing around that time, many of them used the amnesia trope. So it's not like it stood out in the crowd, I thought nothing of it.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Two things:

The first time I played Oblivion. It was the first RPG I'd played and exploring for the first time felt so much more immersive (amazing, considering how un-immersive that game really is) than any other I've played since. I did everything in the dumbest way the first time around- It took me a good 30 minutes to find the gate into the Imperial City, but it really blew me away. Every RPG I play always gets compared to that experience.

The second is Minecraft. The time I was getting really into Minecraft I was going through a breakup and taking it incredibly badly, so throwing myself into the community server was a way to forget about all the crappy stuff that was going on. That server had such a great community at the time and I've never, ever had as fun gaming experiences with other people as working on towns, exploring and moderating ("im from planetMC can i has mod?' No.) there. I can't play MC much anymore because it just makes me sad that server's pretty empty now.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Rabish Bini said:
Strange, whenever I see threads like this Planescape: Torment seems to dominate the responses. Which is a fair answer.

As for me, I'd have to go with KotOR II: The Sith Lords. It's now my favourite game of all time, but after my first 'playthrough' I actually hated the game, because of a bug that caused the game to be unfinishable. I poured so many hours into it trying to work out what went wrong that when I found out I got rid of the game and didn't play it again for years.

Such a fantastic game when it works though.
Fappy said:
Considering I just played through Undertale for the first time a few days ago, I suppose I will go with that. It was just such an incredible journey. I want to play through it again, but know it won't be nearly as special a second time.
Seeing as it was your first playthrough I imagine you got a neutral ending? If so, then yes you should definitely give it another run through.
Nah, I did true pacifist. I guess technically you get Neutral first? After getting that ending you don't need to start the game over from the start so I count it as the same playthrough.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Arkham City.

I knew about Joker's death before I played it, which was like 4 years after its release.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Fappy said:
Nah, I did true pacifist. I guess technically you get Neutral first? After getting that ending you don't need to start the game over from the start so I count it as the same playthrough.
Ah fair enough yeah I killed one monster on my first run through so had to go through again. Still there's always the genocide route if you have the cojones!

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Wild ARMs 1. The intro alone would blow me away for another few hours and then, while the graphics wouldn't be anything special, the story would be awesome to behold again.

Also, Hanpan. The gaming worlds need more Hanpan.

Freyr

Mar 19, 2014
Alan Wake. While the gameplay wasn't really anything special, the storyline was great.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Metal Gear Solid.

The twist about you working to get the card to disarm the nuke arming it, that was so well done. I would love to play that with no knowledge of what's to come.

Great story, character and game play to me, it is one of my favorite games of all time.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Xenoblade. That moment when you first exit the cave, enter the Bionis' Knee, hear that music playing and it starts to dawn on you just how immense the game is... It's amazing. I've explored plenty of big RPG worlds, but Xenoblade's always felt as there was something new and amazing around every corner. Okay, sometimes the 'new and amazing' turned out to be a giant murderous spider, but that's part of the fun!

Xenoblade X had those moments as well, but after playing the first game it was just harder to be caught by surprise, because I already had a good understanding of what the creators were capable of. Still, that first time you get to fly...! I swear, I had this huge dumb grin on my face the entire time and it didn't wear off until I had flown around the world. I mean, I did kinda know it was coming, but actually experiencing it was something else because of insane amount of freedom you get.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Chrono Trigger. Fantastic game even to this day, but it just doesn't hit me like it did the first time. You can't go home again.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I've seen some good suggestions here and, if given the option, would love to grab that first time reaction with them once more.

For me it'll be dungeon master.
That's right, one of the ancient tile based party rpgs.
It was back before the availability of help on the internet you see.
The only thing me and my friends had were our own experiences to share.
We'd discuss it and offer suggestions or strategies to make it further and further down into the dungeon.
Maps?
We made our own.

While there were other games that came after which had better gameplay and stories with surprises hidden away in them, other games where the only help was between a group of friends sharing ideas and tactics, Dungeon Master was the first.

Good idea for a thread 09philj.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Undertale, because some dickhead spoiled one of the main endings for me.

If that didn't happen I would be happy choosing: Super Metroid, Half Life, Silent Hill 2, MGS3: Snake Eater, Majora's Mask, Final Fantasy 7, StarCraft, and some others.

2HF

May 24, 2011
How has nobody said Portal?

Blew my mind like nothing else has, and I want that back.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Xenosaga episode 3. That ending my goodness that ending. Never has a game made me cry. If i could go through that again i would.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
State of Decay. I dunno why, I was obsessed with that game. I played it so much I dreamed about it. It covered my every waking thought for like a month. I was always worried that my mans were dying while the game was off, and I always made sure to get as many resources as possible. Did all the quests.

Everything.

And then I beat the game and...and it all went away. Whoosh. Like a whisper of a shadow of a dream of a memory of a good time. And I just can't get it back. Sigh...