If you could make any NPC the protagonist of their own game, which?

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
609
0
0
Nin men hao, Escapist

Spin-offs, spin-offs, spin-offs. After a franchise becomes sucsessful enough, it usually gets its own side series based on a minor event, mechanic or character.

If you guys could give any minor NPC or side character their own game that explores their story, powers and/or personality, which?

For example, a Resident Evil game that centers around the RE4 merchant would revolve around trading with different factions, developing more and more advanced weapons and raiding facilities to loot their supplies in order to sell them off to the hightest biter. Or an Oswald of Carim game where the main characters makes his pilgrimage to the Painted World in order to pay tribute to Velka and ask her to pardon his sins.

Or remember the "I am Error" guy from Zelda 2, yeah, imagine his story.
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,184
173
68
Conrad Verner from Mass Effect. It would make a pretty funny spinoff. Following Shepard's example. Trying to make himself a hero after Shepard died (the first time).
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,264
1,338
118
Ish from The Last of Us. I don't think I've ever seen a post-apocalypse story where the main protagonist is so gosh darn positive and hopeful (and witty) against all odds.
 

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
4,828
0
0
Marauder Shields.



He was basically the Sans of Mass Effect. He was just trying to save you from the horror.
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,760
0
0
CaitSeith said:
Conrad Verner from Mass Effect. It would make a pretty funny spinoff. Following Shepard's example. Trying to make himself a hero after Shepard died (the first time).
Only if they pulled a Ciaphas Cain where he's really a cowardly looser, but everyone thinks he's great because he's either lied or accidentally bumbled into a victory.

As for my choices...hmm...Mission Vao as a Private Investigator in a Noir Star Wars game. Oh Oh! A Strategy Builder game like City Skylines or Roller Coaster Tycoon, where you're the Machine from A Machine for Pigs. And you have to build your gruesome self, capture civilians, kill them, gut them, turn them into pig people, bring them back to life and feed them to the hungry masses.

And maybe a FNAF game where you're one of the animitronics.
 

WhiteFangofWhoa

New member
Jan 11, 2008
2,548
0
0
Either Fox-Hound or the Cobra Unit from Metal Gear, maybe with individual chapters on each member before they become a team.

Good luck making Psycho Mantis not overpowered though. Maybe the Cobras would be the better choice since they were deployed in World War II.
 

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
5,294
0
0
Talia Martinez from GTA : V. I kind of wish she had been one of the protagonists. A competent tough as nails female Hispanic-American getaway driver. Gets screwed over on a score and has to start all over again and find a new crew.
 

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
10,225
3,161
118
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gender
Male
Killer Is Dead <spoiler=Spoilers for KID> Playing as Mondo's older brother, David, before he was corrupted by dark matter and became the villain. Then again, the same thing exactly happened to Mondo, so you're already, in a way, playing as him.

Lady from DMC3. It would have been nice to have a game about her. Maybe her game could have taken place after 3, and little after 1. Originally Capcom was going to do a spin-off game, but canceled very early before going to pre-production.

Scarlette "Shinobu" Jacobs from No More Heroes 1 & 2 definitely deserved her own game. A black, white-afro, modern samurai assassin. I'm there.
 

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
2,865
493
88
Country
USA
Gender
Male
Alex and/or Eli Vance for a Half-Life spinoff chronicling the aftermath of the Seven Hour War and the rise of the resistance (Ie, an interquel between HL1 and HL2). Eli's story would showcase his transition from being a scientist to being a leader, managing resources and commanding operations. In terms of gameplay, I see this as effectively XCOM 2-lite. Alyx, by contrast, would show her sneaking into the fights herself earlier than she should have (much to her father's horror) and developing her skills as a tech-savvy rogue. For gameplay, think Thief, Hitman, or the less direct parts of Deus Ex. Story ends with Eli realizing that he won't be able to keep Alyx away from the fighting[footnote]and indeed, with her skillset he shouldn't, no matter how much he wants to[/footnote] and introducing her to Dog as both an apology and compromise. The stinger during/after the credits would have the G-Man approach him and offer the Resistance a needed edge for an undisclosed price.
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,489
901
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
Well, I guess I can nominate:

-Strife and/or Fury (Darksiders, as in, they haven't been playable yet, so if a Darksiders 3 ever happens, maybe that could be corrected?)

-Alyx Vance (Half-Life...basically what Asita suggested, acting as an interquel between the first and second game. Or heck, make her playable in Half-Life 3 if it ever happens)

-Echo (Killzone...okay, you do take control of her for about five minutes at the end of Shadow Fall, but come on Guerilla...)

-Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda...okay, I don't see this happening, but think about it. Most of the time we've controlled Link (Courage), along with Zelda (Wisdom) a few times. Maybe someone who controls the Triforce of Power (and yes, Cia, I know, but still...)

-Sylux (Metroid...controversial as this is, I don't see Samus as the be all and end all of the Metroid setting, and I'd gladly play as a different character. Sylux would be a good candidate off the top of my head)

-
 

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 18, 2020
7,426
2,078
118
Country
United States
Gender
Male
OtakuNinja said:
Solaire of Astora in which he finally finds his sun :')
Apparently if he survives to the end of the game and helps you beat the final boss, he links the flame in his own world, thus finally becoming grossly incandescent. I forget if that's a generally accepted fan theory or if the creator himself said that's what happens.

I always got the impression the other characters are more or less going through the same journey you are but in their own worlds.
 

B-Cell_v1legacy

New member
Feb 9, 2016
2,102
0
0
Hawki said:
make her playable in Half-Life 3 if it ever happens)



-
thats what we need. removing iconic character freeman and putting female character in best FPS series ever just to apease feminists.

anyways I wish Vaas would be protagonist of far cry 3.
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,489
901
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
B-Cell said:
Hawki said:
make her playable in Half-Life 3 if it ever happens)



-
thats what we need. removing iconic character freeman and putting female character in best FPS series ever just to apease feminists.
Quick, let's play a game! Count the things that are wrong with this sentence:

-Well, the spelling, grammar, and punctuation are all wrong, but that's par for the course.

-Nothing in that suggestion suggested that Gordon be removed, and he's not the only character that's been playable in the series either.

-Gordon is hardly "iconic," but you might get some wriggle room there.

-Declaring Half-Life to be the "best FPS series" is a judgement based entirely on subjectivity, and academic to the discussion.

-It's a sad day when someone claims that having a female character is done to "appease feminists." Then again, you're the person who declared that having Emily in Dishonoured 2 was such a move, and that you only like "badass, manly" protagonists in games, so what do I know?

But at the end of the day, it's a moot point, since Half-Life 3 is pretty much vapourware, so don't worry, you won't have to stomach Alyx being playable. I suppose that my suggestion that Fury be playable is also "appeasing feminists?"
 

B-Cell_v1legacy

New member
Feb 9, 2016
2,102
0
0
Hawki said:
B-Cell said:
Hawki said:
make her playable in Half-Life 3 if it ever happens)



-
thats what we need. removing iconic character freeman and putting female character in best FPS series ever just to apease feminists.
Quick, let's play a game! Count the things that are wrong with this sentence:

-Well, the spelling, grammar, and punctuation are all wrong, but that's par for the course.

-Nothing in that suggestion suggested that Gordon be removed, and he's not the only character that's been playable in the series either.

-Gordon is hardly "iconic," but you might get some wriggle room there.

-Declaring Half-Life to be the "best FPS series" is a judgement based entirely on subjectivity, and academic to the discussion.

-It's a sad day when someone claims that having a female character is done to "appease feminists." Then again, you're the person who declared that having Emily in Dishonoured 2 was such a move, and that you only like "badass, manly" protagonists in games, so what do I know?

But at the end of the day, it's a moot point, since Half-Life 3 is pretty much vapourware, so don't worry, you won't have to stomach Alyx being playable. I suppose that my suggestion that Fury be playable is also "appeasing feminists?"
with exception of portal which i really liked. I only play/liked games with male protagonist. guess what feminists think of me?
 

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
7,489
901
118
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
B-Cell said:
with exception of portal which i really liked. I only play/liked games with male protagonist. guess what feminists think of me?
Are we talking about feminism in its intended form, or extreme form? If the former, nothing. If the latter, negatively.

I have little time for the latter approach. But claiming that any form of female representation in a male-dominated series is "appeasement" is on the other end of the spectrum, and just as asinine.
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
10,845
1
3
Country
United States
The merchant from Resident Evil 4. Forgot Leon. Let's have a game about the guy that beat Leon through every single dungeon and then decided to set up shop.
 

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
6,192
1,855
118
Country
United Kingdom
B-Cell said:
thats what we need. removing iconic character freeman and putting female character in best FPS series ever just to apease feminists.

anyways I wish Vaas would be protagonist of far cry 3.
That's what we need. Removing iconic character Jason and putting another male character in best FPS series just to appease Meninists.