If you could pick ONE game from your past to remake, what would you choose?

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
If there's never going to be a Timesplitters 4, a HD remake of Timesplitters: Future Perfect would be nice. If there is, I would love for either Hogs of War or Summoner 2 to be given a HD remake.

skim172

Nov 28, 2007
Vigormortis said:
Easy choice. Homeworld.

I still view it to be one of the greatest RTS games every crafted. Not to mention having one of the best stories ever put to the digital format. Combine those with super tight gameplay, innovative ideas (some that have yet to be truly replicated), and a fantastic score and it's still phenomenal even by today's standards. If Relic were to do a modern-day remake, or for that matter, a decent sequel (making it a trilogy), I'd be one seriously happy camper.
GOD YES. Homeworld is still one of the most unique RTS games and I heartily recommend it despite its dated graphics simply because the experience is so unique. Innovative, balanced strategy in a three-dimensional space - hasn't been replicated ever. And it's a shame, because very few people I meet seem to know it. PLAY THIS GAME. You don't know joy until you order a hundred fighters to form up a giant claw and descend upon a cruiser straight down from above.

However, my first candidate for a remake ... is Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Okay, hear me out - yes, it was a poorly-made sequel with a lot of glitches, bad graphics, boring gameplay, way too short, obviously rushed out by the studio well before it was ready, and did a major disservice by forever blackening the Deus Ex name.

And if you're a true Deus Ex fan, you want them to torch that game completely and start afresh with a true, thoughtful sequel, one that restores the depth of multiple-plotline storytelling, the open-ended flexibility and exploration of gameplay, and the spirit of uniqueness and innovation that set the original apart. You want that. C'mon. You want real sequel to that game, not this cheap knockoff. You want them to restore Deus Ex to its illustrious throne.

I know, we're getting a prequel - a prequel published by Square Enix without the work or input of a single member of the original creative team (and designed by French-Canadians of all people). And you know what, I'm gonna set down a good chunk of my money not just to pre-order the game, but pre-order the special edition, in the perhaps foolish hope that it will be that glorious, radiant star that illuminates the universe with its majesty.

And then they should remake the original, too. Because that deserves an update. And c'mon, if they have the time and money to make a new Thief game, they can remake DX.

Maybe they can get actual foreign language speakers this time. Instead of some white guys in a studio doing horrifically offensive impressions of an accented Chinese woman.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I'm going to have to say FF VII. It was essentially the first RPG I ever played and it inhabits much of the nostalgia portion of my heart and it really needs a graphics update. Voice actors wouldn't be necessary, but they'd be easy to find due to the movie that was made.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
LostAlone said:
Insane_Foxx said:
Redingold said:
Deus Ex. A truly fantastic experience that was only slightly marred by the terrible graphics and rather dull voice acting.
their is going to be a new deus ex. comes out later this month
That kinda misses the whole point of the thread. While it may turn out to be a good game (certianly looks good to me) it is NOT a remake of the original.
The original doesn't need a remake. A remake of a game should be about taking a great game, and improving it to epicness (including fixing gameplay problems and all the other small things that prevented the game going from 95% to 100% pwnage). The problem here is that Deus Ex gameplay is already perfect, and even the graphics (which can be considered rather shitty) still set a great mood and tone. In fact, i doubt that the new Deus Ex coming out later this month in any way can match the tone set by the terrible version of the Unreal Engine they used in DX. In fact, the original Deus Ex only had one major problem, and that was that the graphics engine was horribly optimized, meaning that it took a good computer to run it smoothly, even though the graphics were terrible, but that problem has been automatically solved with hardware advances on modern computers.

Remakes are about unleashing the potential of games, where the original didn't really unleash it properly, and in that regard, the original Deus Ex already did a hell of a job.

If i were to put my vote, and i would put it on the original Mass Effect. I'm getting tired of playing through Mass Effect 2 over and over at this point, but i just can't get myself to play the first one because of the (by comparison) terrible combat gameplay, item management and Mako Sections. If Mass Effect 3 turns out to be better than both ME1 and ME2 in all aspects, remaking the first two games in a similar way would make me a happy panda.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Treblaine said:
BLOOD!

More games need Flareguns and Pitchforks!

Though the original is still great, I'd expand on its Americana Horror and extend the gameplay into further dimension and add depth of what would be called "RPG-lite" for want of a better term. Basically Bioshock style progression of weapons and abilities.

"with today's polish and graphics but EXACTLY the same game play"

WHY?

OK, Blood is VERY basic for 3D environment but making it all 3D environment without doing something different with that is such a waste.
Hell yeah brother. I'd love to see a this-generation Blood. I've never had more fun with a game than Blood. I still play, but silent... I can't get DOS-box working :(

Pibb Omega

Feb 28, 2011
I'd really like the megaman legends games to be remade. I tried looking for a copy of 2 on amazon and its expensive as hell. I'd also like some control issues to be dealt with.

Unstable Ark

Jul 26, 2011
Chrono Trigger, or any old 2D RPG classic for that matter. No, hear me out. I don't want 3D worlds or models (actually, it might work on some), but more on the lines of HD sprites and audio. I don't see 'em too often.

Hoagster51

Jun 8, 2010
I would probably say Deus Ex, I played and finished one playthrough with it like 6 or 7 years ago and even then I was appalled at how bad the graphics and voice work was. I enjoyed it but the graphical quality significantly marred my experience.

snark

Aug 31, 2008
Tie Fighter without a doubt. I reinstalled it and played through it this summer and it held up amazingly. I would love to see it with a graphics overhaul and more than like 4 voice actors. Some of the communications in that game sound absurdly goofy. That being said, flying with Darth Vader as your wing man trying to save the Emperor was and still is one of my top moments in gaming.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
War of the Monsters or Godzilla Save the Earth. I would play those two games for hours on end.