If You Don't Believe in Evolution, Why?

Snack Cake

Jun 9, 2009
There is almost no area where the Abrahamic tradition makes a falsifiable claim about the nature of the universe, which isn't directly contradicted by modern science. Germ theory, astrophysics, and geology all differ sharply with holy books of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Evolution is no more scientifically controversial than any of these other topics. However, none of these areas of science are under constant attack by the religious community, the way that evolutionary biology is.

Why?

Cakes

Aug 26, 2009
Buddy, don't do topics like this. Some people don't believe the same things as you do, and that's fine.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Flame-fest will commence within three posts if this isn't locked.

And yes, I bumped this hoping to see one - it's like waiting for the bomb to detonate in Counter-Strike, before the CT's can get to it. The anticipation!

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I personally think my faith(christianity) and science intersect pretty well, but arguing that here is like trying to argue with a twilight fan girl that edward is creepy. So why bother eh.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
chances are you might find one person who doesnt beleave in evolution on here and like 5-10 trolls who will argue it to be stupid

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
Well, beacuse we have faith my son, faith.

You need it, faith and hope are the only things making us seperate from the bad guys.

Now i dont really belive in the Evolution theory, or the the other creation/how we were made theories, and mainly Evolution is attacked because it pretty much destroys whatever faith/ideas the religioous communities have. If Evolution is ever 100% solved, then it would be a giant blow to the religions of the world. It wouldnt disprove God, but would make it highley unlikley.

Alos, this could turn bad.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Atheist/anti-theist here.

Because it directly threatens the concept of how religions think the world was created and it offers the idea that maybe we aren't as special as we think we are. I also hear people say that they can't believe they came from apes. Just look at a Chihuahua, they are descended from wolves and they barely resemble them.

Snack Cake

Jun 9, 2009
OK, if the consensus is that this question was asked badly, such that it will absolutely become a flame fest, is there a better way to ask it? I admit, that my wording is loaded, so maybe somebody could help me rephrase this question to be more civil.

I honestly don't understand the phenomenon, and I would like to.

Cakes

Aug 26, 2009
sneakypenguin said:
I personally think my faith(christianity) and science intersect pretty well
Agreed. Why there is a conflict is beyond me.

Cakes

Aug 26, 2009
Snack Cake said:
OK, if the consensus is that this question was asked badly, such that it will absolutely become a flame fest, is there a better way to ask it? I admit, that my wording is loaded, so maybe somebody could help me rephrase this question to be more civil.

There's not really any way to do this properly. People get really touchy when it comes to this, you'd be better off taking it to a forum that focuses on religion 'n stuff.

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009

Friendly Word of advice. Don't start religious or VS. Threads, they will only spark a flame war and get you precariously close to being banned, or getting someone else banned.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Snack Cake said:

EH your question is fine its just here you have the the religion bashers who go out of their way to prove those with a faith wrong. Honestly there are probably only a handful of people who reject evolution (myself included) so it's like jumping into a shark tank with a bloody wound. And then the flame wars start.

Cakes

Aug 26, 2009
dragon_of_red said:
Now i dont really belive in the Evolution theory, or the the other creation/how we were made theories, and mainly Evolution is attacked because it pretty much destroys whatever faith/ideas the religioous communities have. If Evolution is ever 100% solved, then it would be a giant blow to the religions of the world. It wouldnt disprove God, but would make it highley unlikley.
See, that's where you're wrong. Evolution doesn't destroy any religious beliefs at all. Plenty of religious people agree that evolution just gets into the specifics of how *insert deity here* made this mess work. Evolution already is pretty much "100% solved", as you put it, and it doesn't disprove God in the slightest. It makes absolutely no comment on the existence or lack thereof of any sort of Deity.

Snack Cake

Jun 9, 2009
Cakes said:
sneakypenguin said:
I personally think my faith(christianity) and science intersect pretty well
Agreed. Why there is a conflict is beyond me.
I presume that you don't see a conflict because you are able to take the factual claims in the Bible as largely metaphorical / not literal. I can understand a blanket policy that allows for science and religion to be separate spheres. But this gets back to my original question. Why do many religious people accept some science that contradicts their religion, but not other parts? For example, there are few (I suspect) American Christians who reject germ theory in favor of belief in demonic possession, but there are many who reject evolution in favor of creation.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
JimmyBassatti said:
sneakypenguin said:
I personally think my faith(christianity) and science intersect pretty well, but arguing that here is like trying to argue with a twilight fan girl that edward is creepy. So why bother eh.
Totally off-topic, but a way to piss off a Twilight fan girl is to tell them the actor that played Edward is homosexual in real life. It's true, and they totally flip shit.
OT: I don't know what I believe in, really.
I always just point out an interview where the director guys(idk who) had to make him shower because he only showered like twice a week. Seriously the guy looks like a hobo sometimes.

Cakes

Aug 26, 2009
Deshara said:
Yes, and some people are willing to talk about it. Shutting out any request to talk about it by automatically claiming that nobody can be civil while doing so is only helping to alienate two already self-seperating demographics.
Sorry, but it's true. These topics, while pretty interesting, just never seem to fly here. It'd be nice if it could, but I only see this ending in a horrific blood-bath. If it doesn't I owe you a Coke.

CloakedOne

Oct 1, 2009
well, there's all sorts of proof for evolution, I'm not really sure why people still dispute it.