If you had the ability to switch your gender?

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
If I had the ability to instantly change from one to the other then yeah, why not :D

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
RatRace123 said:
I don't know why I'm asking this, but if you had the ability to switch your gender back and forth at will, would you utilize it? What would you do? Would you choose to live life as the opposite gender?

Again, not sure why I asked this.
I'm also not sure if this thread will end up being SFW.
Well technically we all have that abillity already, we just can't control it. In every living thing with genders is the code for both genders. In some extreme cases, gender transformation for animals has been recorded, typically when the population gets low. How it happens or what the signals are, are unknown. This was a key element of Jurassic Park and the whole "nature find a way" thing. Think of the bit where they find the pregnant Dinosaur and were like "OMG, they were all supposed to be men" they wanted to control the population.

That little factoid aside, probably not. While sexist to point out, girls just aren't as physically capable as guys are. Men are stronger, and faster.

To be quite blunt, as some authors have pointed out the entire allure of being a girl comes from wanting to be an ATTRACTIVE member of that gender. Like it or not, beautiful women are showered with things in many cases, and taken care of. Girls tend to be jealous of other girls who are better looking for that reason, and a lot of the complaints about the "Hollywood body standard" (ie who gets to be movie stars and the like) are based on jealousy and what those girls get.

In a literal sense I'm not all that good looking a guy at the moment, and my general features just aren't feminine. If I went through a spontaneous gender change, I'd still be overweight, out of shaped, and fatigued from medication, but would be missing what's left of my strength.

Not to mention other biological issues. I mean a lot of girls take the attitude "it's not fair, men should have to bleed from their penis!". Well, unfair as it might be, I'm sort of glad that I don't have to. You'd be surprised how often basic facts people learned in sexual education are forgotten in gender transformation fantasies.

Having read books like Heinlan's "I Will Fear No Evil", I've put a lot of thought into the subject at times. The closest I'm likely to get is playing a female character in some RPGs. That let's me appreciate the imagery, and fuels pervy thoughts, without actually being a girl. :p

As a final note, concepts like "Ranma 1/2" can be amusing, but to be honest from what I've seen it's not all that well thought out. Ranma doesn't seem to lose much in the way of fighting abillity when he turns into a she.

Plus, in a realistic sense, where we don't have magic to alter reality, whenever I see shapeshifting that isn't magical I typically have to wonder about body mass and the like.

Wutaiflea

Mar 17, 2009
I'm incredibly boring, because I really don't think I'd try this out. I'm quite happy being a woman, and considering how alike my brother and I are, I think its safe to say I have a good idea what I'd look like as a dude.

I think the only thing I'd be interested in really is the differences (or lack, thereof) in how men think, but if I was just me in man-me's body, I wouldn't get to see that.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
Would be interesting to try, maybe my family would be more open to me playing games (or less).

And i would be able to throw hizzy fits without it seeming strange :D.

WestMountain

Dec 8, 2009
With the ability to switch gender I could answer the greatest question in all mankind for guys

"Do girls have a better orgasm?"

Kasper Gundersen

Oct 18, 2010
Come on guys, I think we all know what we would do ;)

Yes that's right: find out what girls are thinking :D

And yes, I know what you where thinking... Yes that means you too Adrian!
(Your name is probably not Adrian, but it gave a good scare to any Adrian reading this)

Elric Randall

Aug 7, 2010
If I had awesome gender swapping powers, I would use them and often. :D Besides the obligate sexy times, I'd like to screw around with people. I could also take advantage of two kinds of sexism if I'm careful. Male for the job, female for the bar? I might actually go to a bar for that.

I'd swap into a girl, and pick up some drunk guy for a good time. When he wakes up, the person cuddling him has a penis. oops!

I didn't see anyone suggest this, but what about using the male form for period dodging? Besides that, if something slips through the birth control you're using, BAM! Male parts don't get pregnant!

MechaBlue

Jun 16, 2010
I'd switch. See if there really is any difference in the male-female experience.

And then I'd use my new found penis to pee off of everything I could.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Way too many invocations of Man I Feel Like A Woman [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ManIFeelLikeAWoman].

Come on, folks. Think of something that's actually useful.

Like voice acting.

Depending on how fast the switch is, you might be able to pull off a male and female role in one take and just edit out the pauses. If the switch takes a while, record the lines for one part, switch, then record the lines for the other and edit the resulting WAV files together.

Being able to switch between being male and female on the fly would be a great tool for a game developer. One person could then do all the voices in their game. No need to hire a second actor for the female characters.

Verp

Jul 1, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
I wish that people would learn the difference between sex and gender ¬.¬
As your question asked whether I would change my gender, no, I would not use the ability to switch my gender.
In fact, if most of the people here knew the difference between sex and gender, they probably wouldn't either.
Unless they like being gender dysphoric.
It's not nice, it certainly is not. My dysphoria is mild, yet it's quite enough :/

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I would only do it a few times but it would be in my home with the curtain shut. The main reason why I wouldn't utalize it is the cost. It will cost quite a bit to buy extra cloths, makeup etc for my other feminine side (no I will not use my mum stuff!!). I would also probably end up having split personaility as well.