If you had to name your son after a video game character, who would you choose and why?

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Flaery said:
I would give my child a name that already exists as my one act of good will towards them, but that doesn't bar me from giving them uncommon or weird names.
A few names I've been mulling over for a boy would be; Adell (Disgaea 2) Cecil (Final Fantasy 4) or Link (LoZ of course)
As for girls I find myself torn between; Franziska (Ace Attorney) Rozaline (Again, Disgaea 2) and Minerva (Roman Goddess who I am sure has been portrayed in a few games)
LOL, I was just playing Disgaea 2. Rozalin is kind of a pretty name. :p

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
I REALLY don't like people giving their kids silly names, that's messed up to me. Like that poor kid that is called "Facebook", not to mention "Hashtag"... HASHTAG! Even Aragorn seems kinda cruel, and that has become a pretty popular name... Kids can be really evil about such things, I imagine rough school years... I mean shit, my name is extremely mundane compared to those but I STILL got shit for it!

I suspect naming traditions are quite diferent in my country from what they are in the US, so they might seem a bit strange... For my dauther I really like Heather or Revy, but a friend said that those are guy names (which is not true where I come from!). I'm not sure those are in games though...

Adam is in a game, Deus Ex: HR! I like that name for a boy, maybe I'd call him Adam.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Lucian Lachance is the best.
OMFG I have to thank you for reminding me of Lucian! I wouldn't name my kid that personally, but he's an awesome character and it made me realise how much I miss playing Oblivion when it was new and fresh to me...

Jenny Jones said:
Mushy Snugglebites if it's a girl or Felicia Sexopants if it's a boy.
As much as I love Tina, if you called your kids that I'm afraid I'd have to mercykill your kids and then remove you from the world before you could do any more harm!

Also, so that I hopefully don't end up in jail, I do in NO way condone violence and I have no intentions of ever acting upon the previous statement. It was only said as a feeble atempt at dark humor, something I am fully aware that I do extremely poorly as I am at heart a warm and fuzzy person that doesn't draw much enjoyment from Transformers because it is, and I quote, "too violent".

... Tina is a damn fine name! I'd call my daugther Tina...

Darren Carrigan

Mar 6, 2012
WTF Shepard or OMG Shepard from Mass effect
I do like the name Ellie,Liara
Male Wise I do not know.
Ash from pokemon? Dom from Gears? Travis from No More Heroes?
Does Vegeta count?

Captha : That's Right
Vegeta is always right

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
TizzytheTormentor said:
TrulyBritish said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
That, or Dante...
"Daddy, why do you want me to take both gun and sword lessons while eating Pizza tomorrow?"
"Shut up and keep applying the white hair dye"
But what if he turned out like....
*whispers*
the Other one O_O
"Ready for your bath son?"
"Am I ever"
*dives in*
"That's good..."
*throws in toaster*
I guess that's why you're called TizzytheTormentor, eh?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I like Booker. Just very simple and sounds cool. But I've always wanted a kid named Damien so there's gotta be a game character out there.

Also one of them needs a middle name Valvatorez but that's a bit mean.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Lilani said:
A child is an independent and autonomous human being, not a bumper sticker to show off every book or movie or video game you personally like. I will not name my child after a video game character, especially one with such an obnoxious name like "Cloud" or "Alucard" or "Zidane." If it's a regular name that happens to be shared by a character then fine (Nathan, John, Fiona, etc) but a fantastical name? Certainly not.
This. I'll go with "Max", the default name for the protagonist of the Shining Force, and not tell anyone that that was the source.

...Although I will admit that Myst opened up the possibility of "Atrus". It's almost normal... almost...

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
tippy2k2 said:
I never understood why parents hate their children so much that they would name their kids like that...

What did that kid ever do to you!?!?!?!

To answer the thread though: Alyx (as in, Alyx Vance). I love that name (though I would do that to a girl obviously, I would go with Alex if it was a guy and I'll just assume there is an Alex somewhere in video games).
One comes to mind, he eats people and elbow drops off of skyscrapers.

OT: in the unlikely event of me having a kid Lee I suppose, always liked that one.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Lilani said:
A child is an independent and autonomous human being, not a bumper sticker to show off every book or movie or video game you personally like. I will not name my child after a video game character, especially one with such an obnoxious name like "Cloud" or "Alucard" or "Zidane."
Uh, Zidane is a real name :p I've only ever seen it used as a last name, in real life, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zidane_(name)

http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/boy/zidane

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
TizzytheTormentor said:
TrulyBritish said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
TrulyBritish said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
That, or Dante...
"Daddy, why do you want me to take both gun and sword lessons while eating Pizza tomorrow?"
"Shut up and keep applying the white hair dye"
But what if he turned out like....
*whispers*
the Other one O_O
"Ready for your bath son?"
"Am I ever"
*dives in*
"That's good..."
*throws in toaster*
I guess that's why you're called TizzytheTormentor, eh?
What do you mean? I am the paragon of good parenting!
I do have to suppose he should be thanking you for sparing him from becoming.... that *shudders* thing.
Although I do question the use of an otherwise perfectly good toaster.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
xmbts said:
tippy2k2 said:
I never understood why parents hate their children so much that they would name their kids like that...

What did that kid ever do to you!?!?!?!

To answer the thread though: Alyx (as in, Alyx Vance). I love that name (though I would do that to a girl obviously, I would go with Alex if it was a guy and I'll just assume there is an Alex somewhere in video games).
One comes to mind, he eats people and elbow drops off of skyscrapers.

OT: in the unlikely event of me having a kid Lee I suppose, always liked that one.
Heh, I always figured you were like me and didn't like kids at all... o3o

OT: Even though I don't like kids, I like naming things, so I have thought of this before... and I really don't want a son... kids are cruel and disturbing creatures and the extra aggression that comes along with a boy would probably be too much for me... but for a game related name... I'd probably go with something normal like Jamie or David... because guys names in video games are either super macho or pretty normal and boring... and I'd prefer to go with the latter...<.<

for a girl though, I like quite a few... mostly Lain, for obvious reasons, Felicia, Alice... just off the top of my head...

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I'm going to get seriously meta and name my child "protagonist" because I like a lot of nameless protagonists. Plus, I'd be teaching him/her a lesson because we are all the protagonists of our own lives

Edit: I would also consider "FagBalls" and "TwattyCake" if anyone understands my old ZP reference

Double edit: I finally thought of good one I could use, Ness from Earthbound. I like the sound of it and the character it was based on (who coincidentally could be a nameless protagonist). It's little unusual but the name obviously sounded American to the Japanese people who made the game so there's that

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Easy way out: choose a common name I.e Nathan, Marcus, Joel, Sam, Max etc. That way no one could definitively prove I was a horrible parent.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Tydus, because it just sounds like a cool name that won't get him ashamed for the rest of my life. Its not too outlandish...

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I don't have anything for females. Maybe Lufia as well, it's really pretty. But if it were a boy... Adol, from the Ys series. A man who ventures through the world and saves many places from disaster and calamity, heck yeah that's what I'd go with!

yo mato

Mar 18, 2011
I just can't believe no one said"Ellie" for a girl, and"Joel" for a boy.

Those are decent names I think...