If you play Call of Duty you're not a real gamer

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Here's what I think:

If you only play Call of Duty, and you're only playing the multiplayer, then no, you're not a gamer. You're someone who enjoys Call of Duty. You enjoy playing a single game that is just updated every year. To me, that's not a gamer. And there's nothing wrong with that. There are tons of people who only play CoD with their friends because it's easy to pick up and doesn't require a huge amount of time. I myself have picked up every installment since 2 because I enjoy the single player campaign (up until the terrible thing that was Ghosts, anyway).

Now, the people you're describing--the ones who jump on other people and shout at them that they are not gamers--those people just suck. Plain and simple. They feel threatened that they're losing their niche, that the title of gamer is being tainted and they must defend it at all costs. It's the same mindset that guys have whenever a girl says she's a nerd/gamer, or when fans of a series get all prissy and stuck up when their series suddenly becomes popular. It's the "Old Guard" mentality, and it is rarely ever pretty.

Michael Legault

Feb 27, 2013
I have a friend who says he is not a gamer he just plays cod, he has (had) no interest in other games. He now plays BF4 though but still doesn't consider himself a gamer.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Well despite being a petty criticism, I believe it still has some truth to it. Many friends and acquaintances of mine only ever play Call of Duty, and they only play it for a couple hours here and there to pass the time. I wouldn't really classify them as gamers.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
To me, gamer means gaming enthusiast (which I would refer to myself as. Gamer just sounds weird to me.) Playing the occasional sport does not make you an athlete, but that doesn't mean that you have to only play sports to be an athlete. This is similar to gaming. If they only hop on COD a few times every month, or it's the only game you play, than I wouldn't classify that person as a gamer. However, that term doesn't really mean anything to me. I don't dislike someone if they mostly play smartphone games, or Solitare. Let them have their fun, that's what video games are about, after all. However, if someone calls themselves a gamer if they only play sports games or COD, I'll call them out.

People, enjoy what you want to, that doesn't matter to me. Just don't say your a huge Marvel fan if you haven't read the comics, or say your a gamer if you haven't really expanded your knowledge of games.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Anyone who tells you that is full of shit. Everyone that plays COD is a gamer. I just don't see why everyone is angry at casuals.

Apr 5, 2008
Being a CoD player is the gaming equivalent of being an avid watcher of Michael Bay films. You're buying style without substance. However a CoD player is at least a gamer proper, even they're the vapid fanboy with social difficulties.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Eh, somewhat true.

A lot of people that play CoD don't consider themselves gamers (the only real requirement) and don't play much besides CoD. If they don't see themselves as gamers then who am I to say they are?

Mar 30, 2010
Clowndoe said:
It just helps them feel like they're on some moral high hill. Something you notice looking at other FPS forums is that people there are really proud of their "niche" FPS that "not everyone can just pick up". Nothing to do but walk away.
Pretty much this.

There are some people who, rather than accepting that the blanket term 'gamer' refers to a multitude of different people with different tastes, insist that gaming should be some kind of exclusive club only available to those who meet some arbitrary standard. Thing is, OP, those people can be safely ignored. Their sense of elitism (whether it stems from insecurity or arrogance) is their hang up, not a fault of the game in question.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
In my experiences, it seems that nothing can make you a "gamer"; there are only things that make you not a (real/true/hardcore) "gamer". Funny how that works.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
If you're holding a controller or running a game on your computer, you're a gamer.

Sep 14, 2009
Nickolai77 said:
I think we've got to the stage now where it is abnormal not to ever play some sort of game (be it on your smartphone, on Facebook, on console, handheld or PC). Like how owning and driving a car doesn't automatically make you a car enthusiast, neither does owning a couple of games automatically make you a "gamer". Not that there is anything wrong at all with that, although if someone went around claiming to be a gamer but they'd only ever played FIFA and Call of Duty titles I'd be a bit skeptical of their claim.
yupp this.

It's just "posers" in a different form. Just about everyone I deal with on a day to day basis owns a car and uses it daily..does that make all of us car enthusiasts? absolutely not, most of us can't tell you where the engine starts and ends when you open up the hood. Not a big deal in the slightest, but if someone goes touting around how much of a car buff they are, and other car enthusiasts learn they are a poser, you bet your fucking ass they will be called out and harassed for it

(^true story, I know a couple people who are car enthusiasts and JESUS CHRISTTTTTTT all they do is fling their e-penis's online and cred check every single person who remotely has a nicer car than a fart can beater) so this kind of environment isn't all that special when compared to other categories in hobbies.

Me personally? Don't really care either way, but if someone touts themselves as being a big gamer, and I start getting excited and start talking to them about a myriad of games, and they respond back with "lol, all I play is Carr of Dooty" I'm probably going to be pretty bummed and sigh a bit.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU SEE THIS EVER.

There will always be stupid opinions represented in some form. But by far the vast majority of the sentiment I see doesn't exclude CoD players from being gamers. Casual gamers, maybe. Some people want to draw the distinction there. Personally I don't think the multiplayer is a casual activity, and I'd want to factor in playing habits and interest as well. But that's another issue. Real gamer is not a term I would use because it implies they don't play real games, that their tastes are somehow invalid. I still think one type of games is different to another type of games, and I would call that social or casual vs hardcore or hobbyist (for lack of better words), but they're both comprised of real games.

Anyway, without going on at length, I question the integrity of your observation and suggest that you are just making a topic that you know people will voice an opinion about.

EDIT: And I should probably note that individual definitions of gamer - I use it to mean everyone who considers themselves a gamer, which is pretty inclusive and not useful, where other people would use it for what I would call core gamers or hobbyists - will affect the answer.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
A game shouldn't become less credible as a result of popularity. We aren't talking about minesweeper here, CoD is pretty much as gamer-y as it gets. It's a AAA FPS. I think the consensus here is accurate - that people saying that playing CoD doesn't make you a gamer are people who need to shut up and sort out their own issues.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Racecarlock said:
It's arrogance, plain and simple. Like the people who watch toddlers and tiaras and go "Glad I'm not that evil" or the people who watch jersey shore and go "Glad I'm not that stupid", gamers too need to jack off their ego. So they create a scapegoat for everything wrong with gaming. Casual gamers, call of duty players, or shit, even people who don't particularly like "Art" games (Gone home, dear esther, every day the same dream).

It doesn't help that I'm part of all three of those categories. I may play games all day, but I'm pretty casual about it. I own one COD modern warfare game and have demos of the other two. I also found every day the same dream to be boring as hell.

The only difference between this and masturbation is that your mom can't catch you with your junk hanging out. It's basically the worst kind of way to feel good about yourself. By making others look worse. And I hate it.
I don't think you should be so down on masturbation. It is having sex with someone you love.:p

If someone plays a game even if they only play Call of Duty, they can call themselves a gamer. Or a Call of Dutyist whatever they prefer.

There are no hardcore gamers except flight sim geeks. Compared to them everyone is a casual gamer.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Gamers are people who play video games.
Call of Duty is a video game.

Ergo we can deduce that people who play Call of Duty are gamers. See? That wasn't so hard.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
You know it's funny, I remember a thread a while ago that was nearly the exact opposite of this one.

aaaaannd... [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.400700-Can-you-be-a-good-gamer-if-your-bad-at-CoD?page=1"]found it[/a]

I'm not entirely sure which of these statements is stupider, they're both so stupid. I guess it goes to show how strongly opinionated people are about the Call of Duty franchise. Seriously people, it's just one series, your status as a gamer cannot be determined solely by whether you play it or not.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Despite being social animals, humans tend to like to categorise, and especially categorise as "us" and "them." This probably had some evolutionary benefit, but now we just use it to ***** on the internet about who the true fans of X Y or Z are.

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
To me, anyone with a genuine interest in the hobby is a Gamer. If you go out of your way to find information on the upcoming BLANK that has anything at all to do with gaming, BAM, you're a gamer. Even if all you're doing is occasionally googling to get an update on the next version of whatever it is you're playing right now.

My aunt plays some games online, but isn't a gamer, because she doesn't care about games. She once was, when she was into Pokemon, and was waiting for the next one in the series, but then fell out of the groove after gold and silver. Didn't matter if it continued, or died.

Gamer is a state of mind, not a set of rules. Some people tell me I'm not a PC Gamer because I don't know how to build my own PC and overclock my THIS and do THAT to the OTHER THING. I want to Play Games on a PC, that's PC Gamer to me. The guy who builds PCs and optimizes and all that is a PC Hobbyist. I HATE working on/fixing computers. I used to have to do that shit for my family because they thought I was good at it, and I was always just muddling through and reading articles online and being afraid I'd break everything. Fuck PC Hobbying, I want to play Games on a PC. I am interested in it, and I can't wait for New PC Games to the point that I read up on them all the damn time. State of Mind, bitches! WOOOO!!!!!