If You Thought the Facebook Posts About Japan Were Bad...

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
eTe said:
Blatherscythe said:
http://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/2463189/Funnyjunkers+do+wat+you+do+best+please/

This just in, watching Fox news causes uncalled for violence, ignorance and stupidity from people. [/sarcasm]

I know the lawsuit about the cross statue is pretty foolish on it's own, but this is just ridiculous. I thought the ignorance and hatred people posted when Japan won the world soccer cup was bad. Can't you be sued for saying crap like that? Those are fucking death threats to a group of people based on lack of religious belief. And this is probably just the tip of the iceburg when it comes to religious lunitics.

Since this website is full of Atheists I want to hear your thoughts on the subject.
People who call themselves Christians like that... It is so sad.
I've found in my experiences in life that Atheists do harbor more hatred than normal towards some organizations, but the way those people are talking is shocking. Christ was all about loving others regardless of any other factor.
Heck, I hate Scientology, fundamentalists and extreamists, mainly because they take advantage of people, promote views and practices that are just plain wrong and cause violence. But I certainly don't cry out for thier deaths, well the extreamist leaders might be an exception becasue they seem to be a combination of what is wrong with religion.

books of war 13

Jul 1, 2011
hate groups like this never last long its like Martin Luther King Jr taught hate just ends because even if they reach their goal the members need to hate something and if their enemys are silenced or untouchable they just hate each other and destroy the group.

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
Tsaba said:
Spot1990 said:
Tsaba said:
Twilight.falls said:
I'm nor completely familiar with Christianity, so I may be wrong, but isn't it considered a bad thing to harbor murderous thoughts against people?

Or course, the lawsuit is silly already.

Honestly, I just dismiss it as childish. Since people aren't concerned about grammar on Facebook, those threats lack any gravitas.
As a Christian let me just say, aren't there extremists in every religion? Even Atheists?
And to answer your question yes it would be considered a sin and let me quote Daniel Tosh by saying Christianity is a religion where we can all live bad lives repent and go to heaven, I've read the cliffsnotes.
Firstly, atheism isn't a religion, but I'm guessing you didn't actually mean it that way.

Secondly, I've never heard of cases of atheist extremism. ie people killing in the name of atheism. Sure, there's definitely been atheist psychopaths but, like video games, the atheism was incidental. Atheism is just one single belief or disbelief depending on how you view it.Not enough there to form a murderous world view.

I have, his name is:
Joseph Stalin
Stalin really didn't give a shit about other peoples lives in general, I don't think he really targeted any particular group outside of the Ukrainians and Christians.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Blatherscythe said:
Tsaba said:
Spot1990 said:
Tsaba said:
Twilight.falls said:
I'm nor completely familiar with Christianity, so I may be wrong, but isn't it considered a bad thing to harbor murderous thoughts against people?

Or course, the lawsuit is silly already.

Honestly, I just dismiss it as childish. Since people aren't concerned about grammar on Facebook, those threats lack any gravitas.
As a Christian let me just say, aren't there extremists in every religion? Even Atheists?
And to answer your question yes it would be considered a sin and let me quote Daniel Tosh by saying Christianity is a religion where we can all live bad lives repent and go to heaven, I've read the cliffsnotes.
Firstly, atheism isn't a religion, but I'm guessing you didn't actually mean it that way.

Secondly, I've never heard of cases of atheist extremism. ie people killing in the name of atheism. Sure, there's definitely been atheist psychopaths but, like video games, the atheism was incidental. Atheism is just one single belief or disbelief depending on how you view it.Not enough there to form a murderous world view.

I have, his name is:
Joseph Stalin
Stalin really didn't give a shit about other peoples lives in general, I don't think he really targeted any particular group outside of the Ukrainians and Christians.
Well contrary to popular belief, Christians and Ukrainians are people or they are the last time I checked.... I digress, yes he is the biggest mass murderer in history that killed off just about anybody and every one.... and he is Atheist. That was pretty much my point.

Garethp

Jun 14, 2011
jwwzeke said:
Garethp said:
Honestly, after looking into the law suit, it's not that silly. They're suing, not because there was a religious symbol in the memorial (they don't actually care about that), but because it was the only religious symbol. Again, not because no other religious symbol was asked to be put up there, but because all the other requests were denied. They're suing because NY said that only the Christian symbol should be there. They're suing for religious equality, saying that there was no reason to deny other religions

People may think it's silly to fight over that, but honestly, a fight over any kind of equality is a fight worth having. You can't create equality by deciding what is and is not a silly type of equality to pursue

Just saying

Very reasonable then. Question: Is it actually an Atheist organization making the lawsuit. If it is, then the only thing I find a little odd is that it would be atheists suing for more religious symbols to be allowed. I would think that individual religious groups would be suing for their own. Atheists would be uninvolved one would think.

I can think of two reasons for this decision by NY:
1) The US still thinks of itself as a country founded on a single religion, Christianity. Their founding principal seems to be, yes you can come here, but you will adapt to our ways/beliefs. The whole melting pot idea. But given their stand on freedom of speech, etc. one would think they should accept the idea of multi-culturalism by now.

2) If they do allow other religious symbols for each religion that wants them... what happens when the muslims want one added. I completely believe that their were a lot of moderate (i.e. not crazy fundamentalist) muslims who were probably shocked and hurt by the Word Trade Center attack... but I can't imagine most of the people in the US would be okay with a symbol representing anything close to the group who was responsible for the attack being placed there as a memorial. So easier to deny all religious symbols (except their founding religion) than allow all by one?

Not saying I agree with those reasons... but I'm guessing they were the big two reasons for the decision.
Yes, it was the Athiest Society. I don't think it's weird at all. Just because you don't believe in religion doesn't mean you don't believe in equality. Atthiests still see that religion is needed as a crutch for some people, but even then you can't use it as a means to oppress other religions. As for those reasons, I believe 1 is a shitty excuse, and as for 2? Muslims also died in the crash. People of almost every religion suffered. It's not just a "We want our religion there because Christianity is there" it's a "Muslims, Jews, Buddhists died there too, shouldn't their religion be on their memorial as well?"

TheJesus89

Aug 4, 2011
I'm an Athiest, and they REALLY deserve everything that's been said. They have been nothing but dicks to the people who find faith in that cross.

The irony is not lost on me though, so don't think I'm siding with the catholics. Just both sides deserve shit.

Garethp

Jun 14, 2011
TheJesus89 said:
I'm an Athiest, and they REALLY deserve everything that's been said. They have been nothing but dicks to the people who find faith in that cross.

The irony is not lost on me though, so don't think I'm siding with the catholics. Just both sides deserve shit.
Read my above post, it's not about the cross, but about the fact that it was the only religious symbol allowed

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Lilani said:
viranimus said:
You do realize she put out another video saying she was trolling, right?

Yes and I apologize for a misunderstanding but you do realize that is exactly why I referenced the video? Specifically because she admitted to being a troll. I was presenting the notion that the people who posted those hate filled status updates come off much like other trolls, like her, who are pretending to be hyper hate filled for lulz.

Meh, beyond that thats about as much as I can be compelled to discuss on it, because much like most people on the escapist tonight there are bigger, more important issues rolling around right now.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
viranimus said:
And why is it that I get the distinct impression from these updates that it is infinitely more likely that these are trolls pretending to be Christians?

I guess its because its impossible to put false information into facebook, right?

Honestly I see more "agenda" potential from atheists who wish to make Christians (lets not kid ourselves, this isnt about Jews, Hindus Buddhists, this is about Christians because really athiests seemingly dont care about any other faith than Christianity except occasionally Islam.) look evil and retarded than I see the potential for one of these Christians to spout pointless meandering hate filled garbage that essentially has no purpose.

Because, yanno, thats NEVER happened befor, right?

DAMNIT!
Don't know if someone told you this (the site's running so damn slow right now thanks to the Extra Credits thing) but she was a Poe.

I already debated about the cross on youtube after ProfMTH argued that it was just a symbol of support rather then religious. My suggestion was to flip it upside down.

I don't really see the point in getting upset over this stuff, stupid people will have stupid opinions.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Speaking as an atheist myself, I have to say I don't mind God. He seems like a pretty cool dude for a fictional character. It's his fanclub I can't fucking stand.

Matthew Kjonaas

Jun 28, 2011
The Lunatic said:
That's a nice peaceful religion about forgiveness and equality you've got there.

Honestly, I think before anyone can go about saying anything on the behalf of some religion or therefore lack of, they first need to take a test to ensure they meet the basic qualifications for that religion.
You are so right because if we had people that know what they were talking about they would be least stupid people acting like they know what is the answer.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Zyntoxic said:
those are not true christians! or maybe they are but in that case they are sinfull christians and will, if they are right, have to answere for those sins.
Christianity promotes love, even for those who do not share your belief, because maybe if you can show others the true happiness of god then others will follow, people are not appealed to join a religion because of hate directed at them.

I have a friend who truly takes this to heart, evry time I see him he is smiling, and if you ask him why he simply answers "because I know jesus loves me", he is probably the most happy person I've ever known and the only person who have ever made me consider if religion had merit, which I then concluded it did not and I stayed atheist, or well that is at least the clostest lable known to me, since in my opinion there is no god, period, but I don't believe we have all the pieces to the puzzle yet, there are things about us and physics and the universe around us we still don't know and perhaps never will know, but I've found many atheists naive and dismissive of such things, believing as blindly in the science we have today as some christians believe in god. science once claimed everything was made out of the five elements but with a varying precentage of each element form object to object... which was kind of wrong... just a thought.
I would say that the five elements thing is in the same alley as chakra and astrology. It's certainly not science, in fact it's religious more than anything aside from there being no worship involved. I personally feel that the "blind belief" in science is as simple as expecting experts, who have devoted the better part of their lives to learning their craft, to know what they're talking about better than laymen. On that note science doesn't "claim" anything since it's more a means of understanding our world than a dogma. The Scientific Method is the only thing that defines science, and it is the very antithesis of dogma.

matoasters

Jun 7, 2010
This isn't limited to Christianity, sadly, there are people like this everywhere. Let them have their bile. They don't have the guts to do any harm, for the most part.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Does a cross belong in a municible/public area? No.
Should people throw a fit about it? Probably not.
It really just seems like it comes down to atheists and christians doing what they do best: being assholes and zealots, respectively.

EDIT: Just followed the link.
Its shit like this that makes me want to rage quit my country. You Brits dont have to deal with stuff like this, do you?
The posts really embody some of the stuff I hate the most, ignorance (especailly around religion), bad grammer on easy stuff, miss spelling easy words, and bad rhetoric.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Harbinger_ said:
I've seen Atheists act this way about Christians and nobody usually cares. Why should this matter?
Because there is no inherent hypocrisy the other way around.

If you are an atheist and you say we should kill all Christians, you haven't violated any fundamental tenant of atheism by saying we should kill all Christians. (Now, you certainly are probably a bad person, but atheism does not profess any sort of moral decrees, it is simply the expression that there is no deity.)

However, if you are a Christian who says we should kill all atheists, you've violated fundamental tenants of your religion. The Christian religion states that one person shall not kill another person, it states that if you feel someone wrongs you, that you should turn the other cheek, it states that no man may stand in judgement of another person's actions, for judgement is the domain of God alone.

GenericPCUser

Dec 22, 2010
bader0 said:
Twilight.falls said:
For every 10 of these crazy people there are 100 000 sane christians, maybe more. I have met many a sane christian that accept my lack of belief and don't try to force anything on me.
People are generally sane in public, and crazy in what they consider private. People are stupid and don't realize facebook is public, which leads to posts like that.

Everything else is just prejudice, brought upon by the way they were raised (which, if I am to believe theses people's posts, they were raised in a psudo-Christian family; you know the kind of Christian that says that they are Christian but probably sins more often than someone of a different faith or lacking faith.)

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
Deosnt matter what you believe, a dick is a dick.

Let's all try to not be dicks. It really ruins it for everyone.

DoubleTime

Apr 23, 2010
Hey now, not all of us are atheist (or of an Abrahamic religion, mind you). Some of us are quite happily balanced between science and spirituality.

viranimus said:
SNIP *but referencing video*
Wha....hu...ugh..... See I feel she's less "Christian" and more "youth who hasn't grown up and has a mental disorder." Jeez people like that freak me out.... (people who convince themselves there wasn't any other force at work, not Christians or any other religion for that matter) Seriously, has she never heard of the tectonic plates?

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I hate those links. Japan Earthquake, the World Cup, and now this. Every time I'm reminded of how the Internet brings out the worst people....