If you were a grunt in any army...

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
WanderFreak said:
I want to be one of the guys at the BACK of one of those epic 100,000 man charges you see in movies like Troy.

Stand there for hours, waiting for our turn to charge. Thinking, 'is it coming soon?' No, no it isn't. But wait, I see movement! The time now now brothers! ONWARD TO BATTLE! CHAAAAAAA--wait why is everyone going the wrong way? What do you mean the battle ended three days ago?! THE FUCK?!
I see an interesting NPC for a D&D campaign...

"He's survived hundreds of battles with nary a scratch. He's risen through the ranks because there was no one else above him that survived. Surely he is a force of nature."

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Probably the British army. SAS, specifically.
Considerin' I actually planned on joining for a few years.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
swolf said:
None, as the guy in Troy says "Wars are nothing but old men arguing and young men dying". Don't get me wrong, I respect the people in the military and have served myself but the life is not as ideal as some may believe. For example, while a civ has no hot water, a soldier can't shower. While a civ is irritated that they have to stay late at work, a soldier must stay another 6 months to a year. While a civ is annoyed that they were lied to, a soldier leaves one war-torn country, only to arrive in another. While a civ is annoyed that their baby cries, a soldier sees pictures of their newborn and wonders if they will ever meet. And while a civ is annoyed with a friend for whatever reason, a soldier knows he may never see their friends again. It's tough. Sorry for that being so long. To all current soldiers and veterans out there, thank you for your service.
With all the respect for soldiers but you are comparing a civ in a country thousands of miles away from war with soldiers. Now compare a civ in a war-thorn country with soldiers.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
A horse being ridden by a general into war.

Then I can cast him off my back and lead a revolt to free all the other horses as a charasmatic leader and found Horsalia my own kingdom, made of horses.

swolf

May 3, 2010
Vitor Goncalves said:
swolf said:
None, as the guy in Troy says "Wars are nothing but old men arguing and young men dying". Don't get me wrong, I respect the people in the military and have served myself but the life is not as ideal as some may believe. For example, while a civ has no hot water, a soldier can't shower. While a civ is irritated that they have to stay late at work, a soldier must stay another 6 months to a year. While a civ is annoyed that they were lied to, a soldier leaves one war-torn country, only to arrive in another. While a civ is annoyed that their baby cries, a soldier sees pictures of their newborn and wonders if they will ever meet. And while a civ is annoyed with a friend for whatever reason, a soldier knows he may never see their friends again. It's tough. Sorry for that being so long. To all current soldiers and veterans out there, thank you for your service.
With all the respect for soldiers but you are comparing a civ in a country thousands of miles away from war with soldiers. Now compare a civ in a war-thorn country with soldiers.
I have not experienced that life so I wouldn't venture a guess at it out of respect to those who have to live it everyday. I do understand that life is cruel and unforgiving for them yet it's something I have trouble even imagining. On a related subject, have you seen the documentary "The Forgotten Children"?

merc hunter

Jul 3, 2008
I suppose I have to say A New Zealand Army rifleman seeing as Im applying right now for that possition.

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
WanderFreak said:
Paksenarrion said:
"He's survived hundreds of battles with nary a scratch. He's risen through the ranks because there was no one else above him that survived. Surely he is a force of nature."
"His path is built upon the bodies of his comrades. His sword has yet to dull. He shows no fear in the face of whatever is off in the distance. He is... the soldier at the back of the line."

I smell a meme.
I know the perfect meme.

Disaster Button said:
A horse being ridden by a general into war.

Then I can cast him off my back and lead a revolt to free all the other horses as a charismatic leader and found Horsalia my own kingdom, made of horses.
I wish to see this made into a movie.

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
If I were a grunt, I'd stay in the Swedish army presumably.

They won't give a shit unless the UN tells them to.
Besides, pay would be good. Nowadays it's a job application ^.^

Haagrum

May 3, 2010
magicmonkeybars said:
The French army, I'll let you fill in that joke on your own.
Either the French or Italian army. My only concern would be if our main production facility for white flags was taken out.

Or the Barmy Army. Yes, they're English, but they have excellent chants and I'd get to be a drunken lout at the cricket.

EDIT: For fictional armies? Opposing the Army of Darkness, hands down. Hail to the king, baby!

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
The Covenant Seperatists.

I would gladly lay down my life under the leadership of the mighty Arbiter.

IzisviAziria

Nov 9, 2008
Mitch Tai said:
Space Marines from "Aliens" cause they got the coolest guns.

Real life, I'd go with a grunt for the french under Joan of Arc cause that would be crazy cool.
lol happy first post

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
swolf said:
I have not experienced that life so I wouldn't venture a guess at it out of respect to those who have to live it everyday. I do understand that life is cruel and unforgiving for them yet it's something I have trouble even imagining. On a related subject, have you seen the documentary "The Forgotten Children"?
If you are referring to "The Forgotten Children" of Congo, not yet.

And I didn't have opportunity to experience life in a war-thorn country either. although I imagine it I don't know how close or far to the true feelings one can have my thoughts are. I just felt instinctively that despite your comparison being right it should be pointed in what setting it fits.