If you were a grunt in any army...

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Kortney said:
A British soldier around July 1st 1916 at the Somme.

....What?
I know right? Zero Hour sounds like great fun!

Monkfish Acc. said:
Probably the British army. SAS, specifically.
Considerin' I actually planned on joining for a few years.
The SAS are "grunts"? Fair enough. I was under the impression they were one of the best trained, most experienced Special Forces regiments in the world, but maybe that's just me? :p

In fiction I'd like to be a basic Tau grunt (a fire warrior) Cool Hi-tech Japanese-y looking armour, and some of the most advanced infantry weapons in the universe, plus if I survived a few years I'd get a battlesuit. Fuck yeah.

In real life I'd be a squaddie in the British Army of course. Or perhaps the Royal Marines or Parachute Regiment, if I could hack the training. :p

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
I'd be in the Cogs, just because as soon as you don those armour suits, you get amazingly ripped.

Or the French Foreign Legion.

ironduke88

Mar 20, 2010
One of the Spartans from 300? shit, i'd be happy if I could get my body into that state.

Though if I'm a grunt in an ork (40K) army does that mean you have to be a gretchin or a snotling? Cause that does not sound like fun...

scobie said:
"Orks is made fer fightin' and winnin'!"

Orks, of course. Because they're enjoying themselves the most. If I get to be a Burna Boy, so much the better.

Steelfists

Aug 6, 2008
swolf said:
None, as the guy in Troy says "Wars are nothing but old men arguing and young men dying". Don't get me wrong, I respect the people in the military and have served myself but the life is not as ideal as some may believe. For example, while a civ has no hot water, a soldier can't shower. While a civ is irritated that they have to stay late at work, a soldier must stay another 6 months to a year. While a civ is annoyed that they were lied to, a soldier leaves one war-torn country, only to arrive in another. While a civ is annoyed that their baby cries, a soldier sees pictures of their newborn and wonders if they will ever meet. And while a civ is annoyed with a friend for whatever reason, a soldier knows he may never see their friends again. It's tough. Sorry for that being so long. To all current soldiers and veterans out there, thank you for your service.
QFT

Well said sir.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Superior Mind said:
RhomCo said:
Superior Mind said:
I am a grunt in an army. The New Zealand Army.

Stop laughing! It really does exist!

I'm not laughing... although if you were in the RNZAF I would.
You'd laugh, I'd cry.
Awww, I'm sure someone would cheer you up by sending you pictures of combat aircraft so you could see what they look like.

CRAVE CASE 55

Jan 2, 2009
ninonybox360 said:
the red army in 1943....the people who wrote the book on being a badass

Would'nt you want to be in when they are Pushing into Berlin not fighting room to room in Stalingrad?

Alex The Rat

Jan 8, 2010
ninonybox360 said:
the red army in 1943....the people who wrote the book on being a badass
Wow, I think that would be my LAST option. You know, seeing as how the Red Army's casualty rates were astronomically higher than any other nation's. Maybe a tank commander, but I certainly don't think being a grunt would be a good choice! Perhaps I'm just not badass enough for it...

How about a grunt in the orcish horde? They seem to have a good time!

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
The Red Army in the 1920's. The idea back then was that traditional command structure and officer/soldier relations was a product of capitalism and worker oppression. So the Red Army attempted to introduce somekind of democratic process in which the soldiers had as much of a say when it came to orders as the officers. As is to be expected, being conscripted back then was more or less like getting a paid vacation since most soldiers just down voted any orders that could be dangerous/strenous.

If not that, the current Swedish Army was a pretty good place to be as a conscript.