If you were in charge of the games industry, what would you change?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
No more using customers as beta testers. If your game has major bugs (read, bugs that crash the game or cause paths reasonable players would take to make it impossible to proceed), you fix them ASAP, and you apologize. If you can't (or won't) fix them, you hand out refunds.

If you don't do something with a character or franchise for twelve years, it goes in the public domain. No more crushing the projects of the few fans who still give a rat's ass about things you stuck in a junk drawer more than a decade ago.

Demos and screenshots must come from passages that will actually be in the game. It's too early to be certain something will be in the final game? Tough. I guess it's too early to release a demo.

All games except MMOs must retain their basic functionality, even if a server goes offline. If that means you have to issue a patch that stops a game from trying to look up authentication servers in its sunset years, do that. You're not making a big profit off the game anymore by that point, and you know the pirates have already gotten their piece.

Becoming an e-sports mainstay is a privilege, not a right. If you're doing things to your game that make it more exciting to the audience at the cost of making it less enjoyable or flexible for the players, you're doing it wrong.

FPSs: if you're boxing a player into an area for a period of time, own up to it. No invisible walls, no unpassable chest-high walls. Everything else the player should be able to navigate smoothly. The player's character should not get stuck climbing an ankle-high step or travelling between two pillars that are a person-width apart. Real people navigate these things without difficulty all the time. Games like Brink and Dishonored have made it clear that it's possible to do this; follow suit.

RPGs: Think about the dialogue you've just written. Would a reasonable person respond, "No, I'm not going to do that" or "you're obviously setting me up for betrayal/leading me into a trap"? If so, rewrite, or at the very least give the player options that acknowledge that awareness.

Third person games: Does it add anything to the experience for the player to be able to accidentally fall to their death? Not "misjudge a jump" or "get knocked off a precarious balance point", mind you, just fall in a hole because they were struggling with the camera, say. No? Then howzabout maybe make it impossible for that to happen?

Facebook games: If all you have to contribute to the arena is microtransactions and paranoia that people's imaginary houseplants (or the equivalent) are going to wilt if they don't check in every ten hours, kindly die in a fire. I don't care how nice the houseplants look.

Speaking of which: all marketing campaigns that basically amount to proving your loyalty to a brand or the allied brands of a brand in order to get the best experience in your central game need to die, now. I do not want to download your app on my phone, play your hashed-together Facebook game, buy Doritos and alienate everyone who follows me on Twitter by spouting your catchphrase. I don't even want to be required to play the multiplayer version.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
You can only put a new game into a franchise every three years. I know this'll put Nintendo out of business but I think it'd be for the best. Also it would let games developers focus on more than one game series at a time. I think it must such for devs to only ever have to work on one universe, one set of rules and mechanics and characters.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
1. One big console. No more console wars.
2. If your game has co-op, make it split-screen as well as online co-op.
3. After games like Mindjack, Just Cause 2 and (god help us) Chaos Wars, I announce the founding of the BPVW, the Board of Proper Voice Work. Their job will be to ensure actually talented people voicing characters. No more "I am BO-LO San-Toe-ZEE...", we will get people who know what the fuck they're doing when it comes to voice work.
4. Learn the difference between "difficult" and "bullshit". Super Meat Boy is difficult; every trap you die to, was in your power to avoid. Call of Duty 4 was bullshit; I lost count of how many times I would be in a gunfight, surrounded by allies, I stick my nose out of cover and BUDDABUDDABUDDABUDDA I'm SWARMED by enemy fire. The enemy shoots at ME, NOT the five other guys who are out in the open. If the player has no one to blame but themselves over failing in a game, you've gotten the difficulty right.
5. Follow Yahtzee's rule on avoiding shitty endings. "Make the intro first, the ending second, then everything else in between. That way, if anything feels rushed or cutdown, it'll be one of the middle-bits no one cares about, while the ending is what people will remember."

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Oh, I have a few bones to pick with the game industry...

1 - Discount-to-Clearance-to-Free DLC
Ya know what I'll never be able to do? Play Mass Effect with Zaeed in my party. Why you ask? The download he's exclusively locked to (last time I checked anyway) is still $20 whether or not I bought it from the network or, bought a new Mass Effect 2 game for the 'free' code. Another great example of why older DLC should be free? Horse Armor. Oblivion was a launch title for the 360 (if I remember correctly) and if that Horse Armor was launched as a physical thing it would have been in the clearance basket by week 2.

2 - Make multiplayer accessible to 100% of people who buy your game
A whole lot of game developers bend over backwards to shoehorn multiplayer into a product that really doesn't need it to begin with. Some times it works out wonderfully like with Mass Effect 3 but no matter how it works out, 9 and a half times out of 10 it won't matter because these awesome new multiplayer modes are online only. Wanna access multiplayer? Better get online! Can't maintain a connection? Better move to the city! You live in a city? Better shell out for a better service provider!

Anyway the solution would be to bring back split-screen multiplayer for the multiplayer modes where it would work (co-op, deathmatches, hoard etc). As for bigger multiplayer modes: BOT MATCHES.

3 - Bring back anthropomorphs
Yes we have Sly, Ratchet, Sackboy and, most of the Nintendo stable. Attempts have been made to make cute characters that appeal to people but there isn't a lot that's really made an impact outside of the Lego franchise. Naughty Bear tried to appeal to an older audience but forgot that good gameplay sells games, not just neat ideas and excessive violence (Naughty Bear Mechanics with tighter controls would make for an excellent template for a potentially excellent Tom & Jerry game). Speaking of which...

4 - Rekindle the working relationship between Disney and Capcom
4B - Rekindle the working relationship between Rare and Nintendo
Disney-Capcom gave the NES and SNES some of the most memorable games on that console and years later, Rare released some of the most memorable games on the Nintendo 64. Apparently Rare also owns the rights to The Kremlings...that just seems wrong to me and really needs to be rectified.

5 - Eliminate Region Locks
This wouldn't necessarily mean games like Hatsune Miku's Project Diva would be shipped out to the US and Europe where they would sit on the shelves for years because nobody knows what it is and won't buy it; There are however a lot of games that were only released in regions that fans don't live such as the aforementioned Miku games or, Namco X Capcom. Not a lot of people import now but if it was made more accessible more people would shell out.

6 - Release logical spin-offs and, sequels
You know what games we haven't seen that we really, really should have seen? Long ago?

Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter
A 3D Mario game wherein Sonic the Hedgehog is the main antagonist (and vice versa)
A 2D Super Mario game wherein Sonic the Hedgehog is the main antagonist (and vice versa)
A new Super Mario wherein Tatanga is the main antagonist
A new Super Mario wherein Wart is the main antagonist
A new Super Mario wherein Donkey Kong is the main antagonist
A Marvel Comics, Darkhorse Comics and, Image Comics MMO to compete with DC's (granted, they likely wouldn't sell)

As for sequels/spin offs that should be in the works...

Lego Marvel vs DC Universe
Lego Amalgan Comics
Marvel vs DC comics (likely a Japanese fighter with Street Fighter style controls)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Star Wars: Battlefront 3
Teleroboxer 3DS
A Kingdom Hearts style RPG featuring anime characters/worlds instead of Disney themed ones (something by JUMP preferably...)

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Get rid of region locking I guess. I can't pretend to know how to run a whole industry and it sounds like most of these would make it even worse

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Bring back Arcade Games and also make an arcade console to play these games; as well all the arcade games that never made it to consoles (so most of them).

Make Nintendo once again focus on hardcore gamers first. Focusing on the core now is a step up from the casual directive they had last gen, but it's still not enough.

Fire everyone at Square Enix except the people who were originally at Square Soft. Hire back everyone from Square Soft that left.

Do the above with Rare. Also release the hounds on all the newer Rare people I fired.

Fire everyone (EVERYONE) who works at Capcom. There is nothing left to save. Hire a new team I am confident can emulate the good Capcom did in the past. Kind of like Nintendo did with themselves and Retro Studios.

When someone makes a great fan-game, offer to sell it and pay them royalties instead of suing them like a moron. (Thats the only thing Capcom did right in the last 5 years)

Make it an actual law that console online gaming has to have dedicated servers for FPSs.

If anyone in the industry says something like, "that would be too video gamey" during the development of a game, have their legs broken.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
More god games! Seriously, when you can name all god games(from AAA studios) released after 2000 on one hand, something is wrong, and needs to be fixed.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I'd get rid of preorder bonuses. Having someone only be able to get extra by risking getting screwed over is really lamentable business practice. This has never happened to me because I don't preorder but it's still ridiculous. I think it would be better if they gave you the extra content within the first week of the game's release. That way people still get incentive to pick the game up right away but they can also wait and see if the game's good or not.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
First I'd level the ground so everyone is off to the same start. Then...

All money that's being spent on advertising and PR stunts would go to R&D instead. Things would be backwards compatible, and there would be no exclusives. Your stuff should speak on its own merits.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
bug_of_war said:
Reading most of these "what I would do" just makes me glad NONE of us are in charge. Seriously, most of these ideas would stagnate the industry and we would be back to playing crappy games.
ThriKreen said:
Oh man, as someone who's actually worked in the industry, it kind of funny reading these from the gamer perspective only. ;)

Most of my changes would be on the developer side of things but I don't know how much of it would make any sense to you guys. Other than less focus on graphics and more on interactive elements (i.e. get rid of non-interactive cinematics), and give enough time and budget for a game to be polished and not feel rushed - You'd still want to have deadlines so games can focus on important elements and not end up like DNF, so like give a minimum 2y, max 4y dev periods, not <2y rush jobs. Granted it would depend on scope, a small mobile puzzle game wouldn't need as much time.

From a consumer stand:

Better PC ports and support mod communities with editors, or at least file formats.

Lower prices so the new price point is like $30, not $60. Valve has already shown that dropping the price by 50% could result in a 370% increase in sales [http://www.shacknews.com/article/57308/valve-left-4-dead-half], so you make more, not break even. Problem is that it's not just retailer/publisher mentality that keeps it at that level, but also gamer perception of game quality, where a $60 game is considered AAA and anything $20 and under is shovelware. But now we've seen a perception shift with games going on sale and such a year later and people waiting til then to buy the game, so why not do it on launch instead?

Remove DRM beyond any sort of online one time authentication, so you can still allow used sales. But have a nice incentive to buy new, not just with an online pass. I'm thinking a unique "I bought this new" skin via the first time the key has been used, that you CAN'T get via regular online store methods. I'm sure people will complain about this, but with the shift of games from physical to digital, you lack out in collector's editions goodies. I love that my Baldur's Gate 2 CE came with a T-SHIRT that you can't get anywhere, so I can walk around with it and basically act like free advertising. Heck, make it so you redeem said key for a REAL t-shirt (saves the problem of having the wrong sizes bundled with the game) so even pirates can't get it. Mind you it should to be coupled with the above price decrease though.

Arachnophobia mode, a toggle that converts all spiders into bears. [http://social.bioware.com/project/1013/#details]. It MUST be bears, and yes it will require bears to have wall climbing animations and dangling from the ceiling by webbing from their butt animations - but HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME?

o/` Spider-Bear, Spider-Bear, does what ever a spider - and bear - can! o/`

(Disclaimer: While real spiders give me the heebie-jeebies, I have no problem with virtual ones, but I know some people who are.)

Be a bit more open about the dev process (i.e. via blog). While obviously we don't want to spoil the story to the readers, but things like saying "Yeah we changed X or cut Y because of Z" so people know the reasons behind what it was done as not to create unrealistic expectations and have the player base speculate (often wildly and incorrectly). And be willing to admit "Yeah we screwed up" - that way the audience knows we're not infallible and to stop creating this 'on a pedestal' perception where they can do no wrong and it must be due to the evil publisher. And the players could be more forgiving for features that didn't live up to expectations the way we thought they would on release.

Adjust reviews so it's more on a -2, 0, +2 scale (for 5-stars) where 0 is considered average, so the medium isn't 7 or 84.5% value anymore. Basically start off with 0, and give or take away a point or half-point depending on how good or bad a feature is. Get rid of the 100% scale, as at that granularity it's hard to look at a 79% game compared to a 81% for some people, while it's much easier on a 3/5 star vs. 4 star game with the buffer it offers.
That was actually really interesting to read. I agree with most of what you said, though I think the toggle off spiders thing is a little weak, but that's just me. I also agree that the scoring system should be changed to a 5 point system as it makes things more simple, but having said that sometimes I have found reviews ranging frm 10 points to be more informative than 5 points. I really like the idea of devs having a blog and what not, but having seen the pretty much violent response towards games such as DMC Devil May Cry and Mass Effect 3 I'm not so sure it would be a good idea to tell the consumers everything that is going on. I know it sounds like I'm assuming the worse but looking at the PS4 release and how most people are picking it apart, I almost feel as though revealing everything in one go is no longer a good thing in gaming as it just gives people a reason to find something wrong with it. I know, this is my opinion and I can't and shouldn't expect people to agree with it so I'll just leave it at that.

Really though, it was interesting hearing views from someone who is actually in the industry.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Well I would force Valve to stop piddling around with games like Left 4 Dead and make them release Half Life 3. I would then take 90% of all profits.

What, you expected me to change some of the horrible business practices? I would have a monopoly over a $15 billion industry, so fuck that.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I would pass a decree stating than no developer will give into fanboy demands, ever again.

Also, no more multiplayer trophies/achievements.

Yeah, I'm easily pleased.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
Remove all non-ascetic upgradable content from pvp in every game ever. Everyone has the ability to get anything non-cosmetic anyone else has right from the start.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
1. Star Wars Battlefront 3 will be made as the highest quality class based third person shooter the world has ever seen with 200 player multiplayer battle capabilities
2. No games will be able to have disk locked content if they do the developer gets shut down
3. Have whatever CoD game is being worked on currently not be released and instead produce millions of copies of Spec Ops the Line on discs that say Call of Duty Modern Warfare 4
4. Make sure Saints Row the 4 is able to return to SR2's level of quality

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
1. I'd make Sony do a bit more work with the PS2 Classics section of PSN. That needs a lot more love.

2. The next Call of Duty would be the last one. Multiplayer-only, regular updates via patches. Cross-platform play. They can feel free to add a subscription fee, but no more of this $60-for-the-same-game-different-name bullshit year after year.

3. Xbox LIVE would be free. Because it should be.

4. Indie devs are asked nicely to please stop using 8bit or otherwise retro graphics. Just. Just stop. Please.

Other than that... I don't really care enough about anything else to bother with it. It's all fine, I think.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
The three big ones would be

1. More niche games. I would steer it back toward niche games released more frequently over quicker time periods. Lets face it when you find a game thats niche and you like it, you really like it. When you find a niche game and dont like it you just pass it by.

2. Development transperancy. I would make it so companies were more forward with the money they got from publishers and how that money is spent. When a game gets released you also get the full plan for development and how it really went down

3. Community interaction. It would now be part of their job to interact with the community in some way at least once a week.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Full said:
If your game does not have either jet boots, dinosaurs, or sliding mechanics, your studio is getting closed down. I'm sorry, it must be done to save not just the industry, but the entire rest of the world as well.
I'm adding giant sandworms to that. I don't care if there's sand, but there needs to be giant worms.

In addition to the above:

1. I would end PC game clients and all CEOs of companies with game clients would be burned at the stake.

2. The most DRM any game is allowed to have is a one-time authentication. And that's pushing it.

3. Every IP may only have one game made every other year. Off-year DLC is allowed.

4. Day-one DLC is only acceptable for aesthetic and tertiary aspects (such as the N7 armor and personality DLC for Dead Space 3).

5. All other DLC is only allowed after the first six weeks of the game being released.

6. Internally, the success of a game is only to be measured after the first four months of sales and transactions.

7. Only 20% of a game's budget may go into marketing. Including commercials.

8. Strike Command and Conquer 4 and Kane's Wrath from the record, bring back Westwood, ask them to try again.

9. Make 343 Industries change all relevant Forerunner models to look like Greg Bear's interpretation.

10. Make Battlefield 2143.

11. In order to be greenlit, all developers must say who their game is intended for. If they say "everyone," it's denied. If they say "no one in particular," they may or may not get greenlit.

12. Remove all non-cosmetic unlockables from multiplayer games. Either remove them completely or make them completely available to everyone.

13. Make Xbox live Gold free.

14. The only user input that will be considered is strictly mechanical in nature. Not saying "this should happen" or "that person should be romanceable."

15. For every weapon, vehicle, armor, upgrade, or perk in a multiplayer game, there needs to be three days of an open beta and one week of internal testing.

I probably have more, so I might come back.

Azo Galvat said:
Infinity Ward, Treyarch, you both must make at least one Call of Duty game where America is the bad guy and you play as a foreigner. And by America, I mean the country, not an American. You will have double your usual amount of Call of Duty development time. By extension, if a developer is seen to have a tendency to make shooters in which Americans use advanced technology to stomp the shit out of a country that's still in the 80s technologically, they must make a game where America is the bad guy.
That just sounds like bitterness. Granted, this thread is nothing but and all about bitterness, but still.

Nomad of the Stars

Oct 28, 2012
1. All games get released at the same date all over the World.

2. No DRM.

3. DLC without sufficient content (A new area, new levels etc.) must be free, along with Day One DLC.

4. No blacklisting of reviewers.

5. A game cannot release a sequel less then a year and a half since the previous game was released.

I think these changes would improve things significantly, at least from my perspective.