If you were to create a video game

let's rock

Jun 15, 2011
Hmm... Earth invades an alien planet, you play as an alien resisting all the human invaders.

Oh come on you know mixing it up would be awsome. Also: No cover based combat, iron sight aiming, regenerating health, and you can carry a lot of weapons, not just 2. Also, would game download things like steam to cut down on production so it wouldn't be $59.99

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
It would be a sandbox RPG set within a single city. It would be heavily faction based with no explicit main quest, but rather a variety of goals you can choose to pursue.

The game world would have a calendar of sorts. Important events wouldn't be nailed down too tightly, I don't want something specific to always happen on day 30, but perhaps 7-10 days after completing a specific important task some event will occur. The goal here is to balance having events occurring outside of your control with the freedom to spend some time screwing around if you want.

I could see giving a game like this a heavy stealth/espionage slant. Perhaps start the character off with basic stealth skills and new skill trees open up as you join various factions. This would allow you to make a wizard or fighter or whatnot but maintain a sneaky edge to every character.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
The Most Dangerous Game um Game. A first person/third person survival game where you can choose the camera version you prefer for any given siuation. In single player you play as Sanger Rainsford being pursued by General Zaroff. The opening cinematic would be snapshots of Sanger establishing his credentials as a big game hunter. The tutorial would be a flash forward to the upcoming hunt and how Sanger and Witney plan to hunt the jaguar in the Amazon. Then you fall off the boat and end up on Ship-Trap Island with General Zaroff, Ivan and their hunting dogs.

The key mechanic would be the switching between four modes. Flight, where you move faster across terrain and can jump further etc but you leave an obvious trail. Stealth, where you move much slower but leave little evidence. Tracking where your speed is faster than stealth but still fairly slow, and it enables you to see tracks in the environment highlighted through a red trail. Finally Trapping, which highlights potential hazards that can then be used against your pursuers by interacting with them, covering a pit, fashioning a snare, making a false trail through quicksand and the like.

The environment would be largely jungle with paths that allow faster travel but are also used by the General, rocks that are hard to move over but also hard to follow a trail, rivers to try and lose the dogs scent, and maybe an abandoned village/settlement or two to add some variety. Of course there would be the house of the General which would be suicidal to return to while the Ivan is still alive.

General Zaroff would make warning shots for the first few encounters but after a random numbers of encounters would start shooting to kill. Traps when triggered would open a screen in screen mode like the one in Hitman: Blood money to see if they were successful but still allow the player to keep doing whatever it is they are doing.

You would win the game by disposing firstly of the dogs and Ivan with successful traps, and then by trapping Zaroff (non canon) or by circling around to Zaroff's home where you would have your final encounter and then if successful there would be a cutscene of Sanger feeding the dogs.

Multiplayer would see players choose one of the special modes used by Sanger and would use that exclusively. Alternate modes would be one player hunter and everyone else hunted, an AI hunter and teams of hunted working against each other to survive, an AI hunter and a free for all with the last person killed the winner, and teams of hunters and teams of prey, all armed with knives.

Admiral Crunch

Nov 25, 2010
octafish said:
The Most Dangerous Game um Game. A first person/third person survival game where you can choose the camera version you prefer for any given siuation. In single player you play as Sanger Rainsford being pursued by General Zaroff. The opening cinematic would be snapshots of Sanger establishing his credentials as a big game hunter. The tutorial would be a flash forward to the upcoming hunt and how Sanger and Witney plan to hunt the jaguar in the Amazon. Then you fall off the boat and end up on Ship-Trap Island with General Zaroff, Ivan and their hunting dogs.

The key mechanic would be the switching between four modes. Flight, where you move faster across terrain and can jump further etc but you leave an obvious trail. Stealth, where you move much slower but leave little evidence. Tracking where your speed is faster than stealth but still fairly slow, and it enables you to see tracks in the environment highlighted through a red trail. Finally Trapping, which highlights potential hazards that can then be used against your pursuers by interacting with them, covering a pit, fashioning a snare, making a false trail through quicksand and the like.

The environment would be largely jungle with paths that allow faster travel but are also used by the General, rocks that are hard to move over but also hard to follow a trail, rivers to try and lose the dogs scent, and maybe an abandoned village/settlement or two to add some variety. Of course there would be the house of the General which would be suicidal to return to while the Ivan is still alive.

General Zaroff would make warning shots for the first few encounters but after a random numbers of encounters would start shooting to kill. Traps when triggered would open a screen in screen mode like the one in Hitman: Blood money to see if they were successful but still allow the player to keep doing whatever it is they are doing.

You would win the game by disposing firstly of the dogs and Ivan with successful traps, and then by trapping Zaroff (non canon) or by circling around to Zaroff's home where you would have your final encounter and then if successful there would be a cutscene of Sanger feeding the dogs.

Multiplayer would see players choose one of the special modes used by Sanger and would use that exclusively. Alternate modes would be one player hunter and everyone else hunted, an AI hunter and teams of hunted working against each other to survive, an AI hunter and a free for all with the last person killed the winner, and teams of hunters and teams of prey, all armed with knives.
I've read that short story before XD. Not a bad idead though.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
A sci-fi, stealth-based third person shooter about a woman caught in a war trying to save her husband by convincing him to defect from the Alliance to the Resistance.

Nothing more than a concept, but I like to build a game that can balance gameplay with story.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
scnj said:
I don't want to be a dick, but isn't this how ideas are stolen?
But that also means your game may actually get made!

OT: Hmmm ... War of the Monsters style combat (and destructible environments) mixed with something like Pokemon or The Last Airbender or something.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Admiral Crunch said:
Snip all the stuff I wrote.
I've read that short story before XD. Not a bad idead though.
It comes out of copyright in 2019, so I might be a bit premature, I think it could be a really fun survival game. If anyone wants to make it now just change a few things and say you were inspired by Turkey Shoot, Hard Target, Surviving the Game, or Slave girls from Beyond Infinity, there are about a dozen more films that use the same premise you can crib from.

pyrosaw

Mar 18, 2010
Mega Happy Land!: a multiplayer FPS inspired by Team Fortress 2 and Monday Night Combat. A sort of crooked kids show. So far, I have a heavy class, sniper class, engineer class, and demoman-esque class. Note, I'm not copying these classes, They each have have different uses for gameplay that are different from TF2, they're just inspired from TF2. It's in third person too. You would build turrets from LEGO's(Not called LEGO's ingame, but you get the idea) and throw teddy bear grenades. Basically, a kids show themed arena. I don't care if you copy my idea, just make it a good game.

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
A game based in a huge open-world city. Entire point of the game is to survive against zombies. Gather supplies, find shelter, eat and drink regularly. Obviously there'd be multiplayer. I think it'd be awesome. Then just give it some ridiculously high number of days you have to survive to "win"

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Well, since I'll not risk my best idea, here's my second best.

An Action RPG that happens in real time and is procedurally generated from scratch. It would have the usual plot elements of kingdoms, nations, and a Villain, but it would all run on it's own. Armies would march, dragons would seek prey, and cities would burn.

The idea would be to put some of the stress that the characters are supposed to feel on the player. In most games, getting a tip-off that the villain is seeking out the lost Dark Stones can be casually ignored until you feel like dealing with it. The same result will happen whether you go now or spend six hours racing chocobos instead. In this game, you'd have to haul ass over there and stop him. Or not. Either way, there would be consequences and the world would be different as a result.

The ideas is to have a very dynamic and non-linear environment and give the player lots of choices, some meaningful and some not. It'd be an open world to explore and conquer.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Bunnies... In the future!
An over-the-top action FPS, with more blood and gore than ever before; stomp your enemies under your mighty foot, and use the giant pile of organs you'll eventually create as cover!!1
With a campaign lasting over 9000 hours, you'll never run out of the awesomeness in this! RANDOM ENCOUNTERS WITH BUNNIES AND DEADLY RAINBOWS WITH RAZORBLADES!

...Or, y'know, something slightly similar to Fallout 3. I like that game. BUT WITH MORE BUNNIES.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Probably a game that simulates asymmetric warfare from a strategic level from the perspective of intelligence analysis and operations planning. E.G. the focus of the game is allocating resources to collect information that the player will use to determine (as best they can) enemy courses of action and then act upon said information in a broad strokes sort of way. In other words, player action would be of relatively large scale with little control over the fine details. For example, one option might be "Cordon and Search a neighborhood starting at 6 am" or "increase patrols along supply route 3". The player would largely be responsible for things like allocating supplies and personnel to various efforts around the battlespace and would only have somewhat granular control in scenarios involving precision strikes.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
scnj said:
I don't want to be a dick, but isn't this how ideas are stolen?
Ideas are a dime a dozen. I'd rather have someone steal my idea than never see it realized by anyone. It isn't like I'm at risk of running out of them anyhow.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
A game which is essentially a complete rip-off from Hitman gameplay wise, but with one key difference. Instead of taking place in separate levels, the game is centered around one large city in which you need to learn your targets routines before finally offing them.