If You Were To Make It: The Force Unleashed 3

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
In what I plan to be series of threads if they prove popular enough, I will select a particular video game series or pop culture and hypothetical game and leave it open to the escapist community on they would create if they were in the position to do so.

Rules:
1. No "THIS GASME SERIS SUXs! THERE SHOULDN'T B A SEQWEL!!!" Post something positive or get the hell out!
2. Only focus on the hypothetical game in the thread title. If you have ideas for another hypothetical video game, please mention the game's title after the post about the current thread's game, placing it using the acronym AGI: so it's easy to find, and if there's enough agreement on this, I'll put up a separate thread.
3. Please at least ATTEMPT to use spelling correctly, it's hard to read a post that's just full of spelling errors.
4. Please put the ideas in an easy to read format, such as
Story:

Gameplay:

Enemies:

Etc.
5. You can either add to another poster's suggestions or start from scratch, your choice.

Here's mine:

Story: Since the existance of the Dark Apprentice is canon, I'll go with a switching perspective story, roughly half the game you'd be playing as Starkiller, the other half the Dark Apprentice, the latter a servant of Vader doing his dirty work (including breaking him out of prison and killing Jedi) while the former would be a Rebel agent doing everything possible to stop or at least impede the Empire and Vader specifically. This would help fix one of the biggest issues with TFU series, it's length. I'll leave the bulk of the story to someone more imaginative than I, but the next to final boss would be an intense climatic battle Starkiller Vs. The Dark Apprentice, and instead of the standard Light or Dark Side choices, the player would choose to play as the Starkiller that represented each, Starkiller or the Dark Apprentice respectively. Afterwards, Starkiller would fight and beat the crap out of Vader (again) or some other really powerful person as their final boss, (I can't think of what would happen next after that, so again, I'll leave it to someone more imaginative) while the Dark Apprentice would face off against Emperor Palpatine, this time killing him, and in true Sith fashion would then backstab and kill Vader, taking over the Empire for himself.

Gameplay: While both would share many abilities and be mowing down enemies in an as over the top destructive manner as ever, Starkiller would favor a more defensive style of fighting, putting up enemy damaging force barriers, blocking and dodging attacks before attacking with extreme prejudice, the Dark Apprentice would favor a reckless aggressive style, quickly and blindly attacking enemies with as much power as possible, as a result, Starkiller wouldn't defeat enemies as quickly as the Dark Apprentice, but would take less damage, while the Dark Apprentice would kill enemies very quickly, but be much more likely to die against large swarms of enemies.

Enemies: The other big issue with TFU series, the Starkiller is viewed as overpowered because his enemies are underpowered. Aside from the comically inept Stormtroopers and Rebel Soldiers, all enemies on both parts of the stories would be made up of the endless Star Wars pool of Jedi killing machines. Bounty Hunters, Jedi, assassin droids... any of these things would be the game's standard enemies. Only a few would show up only on a particular level and they would all have very different methods of attack and take different strategies to take down (again, my imagination fails me). They all can easily kill the player if they aren't taken seriously. The bosses would also be from the Jedi killers pool, being the best of the best among them (Boba Fett would be much harder to take down than the standard Bounty Hunters and require different strategies, Vader would be harder to take out than the standard Sith enemies, etc.) Last, the Quick time events would be incredibly awesome but wouldn't be mandatory to beat any enemy, I like the QTs but others apparently don't, this would fix that.

Multiplayer: The player will select to play as either Starkiller, the Dark Apprentice, or from one of the non giant bosses from the story mode. In additon to standard 2 player Vs. mode or online, eith capture the flag, and so on, there'd be a Force Ghost mode, which would include a invincible NPC Enemy (of a random popular Star Wars Force User) Force Ghost which the players would have to compete with for kills as well as avoid being killed by, and player would only rank if their kills exceeded that of the Force Ghost. Also, in addition to arenas, there'd be a labyrinth mode, which would include randomized mazes of a theme and size selectable by the host, which in addition to finding the center and capturing or destroying an item there, there would also be hunt the other players down and kill them, as well as a Force Ghost mode version.
Really though, I'd prefer it if Multiplayer wasn't in so single player could be the main focus.

Ok, I'm done. Take it away Escapist community!

Captcha: Skynet is watching

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Simple, scrap everything they had and rename it to Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast 3, get the old team on that shit and shoot the rest of them... or maybe let them go home.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Mr.K. said:
Simple, scrap everything they had and rename it to Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast 3, get the old team on that shit and shoot the rest of them... or maybe let them go home.

well i was ninja'd

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
kman123 said:
OPEN WORLD LIGHTSABER DISMEMBERMENT.

That is all.
Hell yeah.
Only thing I did enjoy from FU was the apprentice.
Just probably the most badass action-y character in the Star Wars franchise.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Simple: Darth Vader uses the force to win break dancing competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word 'midichlorians'.

OT: I can't say much for the story, only make it at least as good as the original FU.
Gameplay wise, maybe make the lightsaber an actual lethal tool, instead of a glowing wiffle ball bat. Make it so that enemies only take maybe two hits before going down, some kind of decapitation physics. Maybe something of an amalgamation of Assassin's Creed and Arkham Asylum would work well. More opportunities to use the force outside of the usual lightning and pull/push. Space exploration would be nice too, in the style of Kingdom Hearts. While we're at it, space combat like X-wing vs TIE Fighter, or similar, would be nice.

Jan 13, 2012
Story
Something that has nothing to do with Starkiller or Darth Vader or any other recognisable Star Wars characters. Maybe just add cameos.
Gameplay
Something that is at least entertaining. Oh, and open world as suggested above.
Enemies
Giant tyrannosaurus', nuff said. Also, better more varied bosses.
Multiplayer
No.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Story: As a long time SW fan I can tell when a clone storyline is used it's time to move on to another character. It's usually their last hurrah. In keeping with the franchise's ongoing theme of allowing the player to mercilessly abuse Force powers however they like without any moral Jedi restrictions, I would hook them up with a different dark-side character for that era: a young Mara Jade. While she doesn't have quite the same dynamic with the Emperor as Vader and Starkiller had, it's close enough. She could apparently hear his voice from anywhere in the Galaxy. Saves on mission briefings anyway.

Gameplay: Of course Mara was never as openly powerful as Starkiller was (few people are) even at her peak. Most of her training focused on stealth moves like silent movement, climbing on walls/ceilings and being able to mimic voices well (enhanced with the Force natch). She would still have most of the saber moves Starkiller had, but complemented with the above tactics. Maybe lower health to emphasize that you're no longer an unstoppable juggernaut who can just wade through curtains of blaster fire, instead resorting to dispatching your enemies one by one or sounding a false alarm to throw them out of position.

Enemies: Take your pick, there's nothing in the Galaxy the Emperor wouldn't send his 'Hand' against. For the main villain though, have a new rebel movement headed by a Starkiller look-alike. No one, not even him, will know until the end whether he's the real thing reincarnated through the Force, an extraordinarily good faker, or another clone. For him more than any other enemy, assassin skills and subtlety are needed to beat his pure power, and Vader's too when you come into conflict over who's going to capture him.

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
Story: Keep away from the whole "meet the characters of the movie, one by one" attitude they had going on in the second game. In my opinion, the best Star Wars game ever made was KOTOR and there were absolutely no characters from the movies in that one (as far as I know anyway). Introduce new characters or lesser known characters from the expanded universe.

Gameplay: Enough with the constant upgrading of Starkiller's power that makes him some sort of demi-god. As someone above me said, Jedi used to be humans, bad-ass humans but fragile nonetheless. At the same time, one must not "downgrade" Starkiller, as this will simply make the game feel very weird. The solution? Focus the gameplay on the one aspect of his skills that is incredibly powerful without requiring more Force pushing or lightning: HIS AGILITY. I'm leaving you to figure out how to implement that! :)

Enemies: Killing Stormtroopers never gets old.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Story: Most of the good Star Wars games take place in the old republic. Set the game there. Then make the main character a sith. Not an evil, destory all the jedi, sith. Just one that imbraces the "Do whatever the fuck you want" mantra. Make him a space pirate or something.

Oh. And can I actually pilot a ship to all the planets I go to instead of it just happening in a cutscene?

Gameplay: Make the lightsaber feel more powerful, then nerf the force powers. Give the player 2 or three force powers that have to be implemented in interesting ways. Also space combat.

Enimes: Sith, Jedi, bounty hunters. Take on the whole galaxy.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Well I guess Starkiller vs dark apprentice at the end in which starkiller has to die, but then we go back to: That happened in the first game and nothing changed. sooooo theres that

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Mr.K. said:
That's not helpful. See Rule #1.

Besides, this is supposed to be about a hypothetical next game in TFU series, NOT about Jedi Outcast 3, that's a different game series entirely.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Vanitas likes Bubbles said:
Story
Something that has nothing to do with Starkiller or Darth Vader or any other recognisable Star Wars characters. Maybe just add cameos.
It wouldn't be the Force Unleashed 3 then, at most it'd be a spinoff.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Title: Force Unleashed III Anthologies

Story: Retcon the entire second Force Unleashed as just a delusional nightmare Vader had when he had to go in to get repaired after what happened to him during the boss fight at the end of Force Unleashed 1. Emperor walks in, asks Vader if he's still able to function to which Vader, still a bit high from the painkillers, gives a rundown about the events of FU 2 that he saw in his dream, to which the Emperor replies "That's the most ridiculous thing i ever heard" Vader subsuquently agrees and the emperor tasks Vader with the finding of a certain artefact that he believes shall 'destroy the rebel menace before it can even mobilize'.

At this point opening scrawl happens and the story splits into three seperate perspectives:

Perspective 1: Set in the midst of the Clone Wars, a Jedi Knight that has recently graduated from being a Padawan (Who i shall now call John as a placeholder name) is sent to a planet on the Outer Rim with orders to eliminate Count Dooku and General Grievous who are said to, supposedly, be stationed there. During the infiltration he discovers that the seperatists are actually trying to uncover a supposed ancient superweapon that could bring down the republic and destroy the jedi. What is found isn't a superweapon though but a large crystal that contains strong dark side energies and is said to contain the knowledge of where to find the superweapon. The infiltration is botched and the Jedi injured when he foolishly tries to sneak attack The big three: Asaaj Ventrus, Count Dooku and General Grievous and ends up being beaten up badly. Unfortunately, the throwing around of all the force attacks causes some to accidentally hit the crystal, causing it to go critical and explode. The seperatists survive miraculously and retreat, with the Jedi presumed dead after being impaled by a shard through the heart.

Miraculously and against all odds, the Jedi wakes up to find themselves alive and well. Unfortunately, the crystal in his chest is discovered by a friend who reports back to the Jedi and, thinking that he's corrupted, turns the whole order against him. Confused, with few friends left and also assaulted with visions, he decides to follow the leads his vision has granted him to hopefully find the weapon before the separatists do as well as uncover just HOW he's alive. And, above all, discover if he truly is being corrupted.

Perspective 2: Kyle Katarn has spent the last month tracking down his former apprentice Jaden Korr, who turned to the Darkside in the ending to Jedi Academy (Yep, first start wars game that a darkside ending's canon) and eventually tracks them down to a black market in nar Shadaa or so he thinks. Instead, he's ambushed by a Cultist Dark Jedi and some imperial remnants that he successfully fights off before a communicator comes through with Jaden taunting Kyle about how he didn't find them and that he'll "Enjoy seeing him fail next time even more". Finding a small crystal and information about some of the ancient Sith Lords of the old republic, he sets about finding out just what Jaden plans to do before it's too late.

Perspective 3: Set centuries after the movies, the Galaxy has plummeted into a Technological Dark age and the galaxy is utterly fractured. Space technology exists but is ultimately primitive, with much of the prior knowledge that was once common all but lost: The force, lightsaber technology, hyperdrives..everything that was once common knowledge is utterly gone. What technology does exist is scavenged and fought over. Many of the planets and great powers all but lie in ruins with new splinter groups fighting for control in a ruined galaxy: Enter one young slave (Who as a placeholder shall be called Dawn) who discovers she is in-fact a "Cursed one" (Someone who is capable of using abilities not normally possessed by other people...or, more simply: Someone who's force sensitive) when she manages to use her powers to telekinetically free herself from her binds and escape her captors, stealing a valuable crystal fragment from her former 'master' and two strange devices that emit a blade of energy (Aka. Lightsaber) before stowing away onboard a smugglers vessel that she forcefully commandeers and takes it's only inhabitants hostage (The smuggler and his repair droid). Going on the run through the galaxy on one of the last vessels with a working hyperdrive, she seeks to find a way to grow more powerful in order to make sure she is never captured (And subsuquently killed due to what she is) and ends up revisiting alot of old, now ruined locations that she finds herself now inexplicably drawn too.

All three of these protagonists actions are innevitably only loosely connected, meaning the game is more akin to a "Spin-off anthology of games" but the three protagonists are innevitably connected in ways that will effect the outcome of their journeys in multiple ways.

Gameplay: Ultimately, it's going to be a bit more akin to Jedi Academy with some elements of the original force unleashed and even some Witcher 2 mixed in. I intend to take the combat system of Jedi Academy and essentially make it a bit more fluid and less clunky in feeling. I intend to make the force powers feel more fluid like they do in Force Unleashed and have them function a little bit more like they did there...however, i don't intend to make it quite as overpowered feeling as the actual series did. Aside from that, I'm bringing in some opportunities where players can choose actions or dialogue that impacts the story like how the Witcher 2 did. What may not effect a character at the moment, may end up effecting a "Future" character and coming back to make your life a misery or even benefit it.

I do intend to add in some abilities that are unique to each character to make gameplay feel less samey, as well as the ability to upgrade certain abilities. Be warned, how you build your character does ultimately effect the ending of the game.

John's gameplay is naturally more like a Squishy force wizard with stealth focus: He has access to an ability to turn invisible for a short time via a prototype cloaking device, the ability to sneak, use the force to mind trick foes to either blind them briefly to get out of line of sight (Thus making them think he's an illusion)/Attack allies or Sleep. He also has access to the ability to control "Dark side energy" thanks to the crystal lodged in his heart: For example, if someone has heavily locked down a door he could use his abilities to wear down the door and literally tear it open. Some of these abilities also effect enemies for debilitating effect. He fights only with one lightsaber and doesn't use anything else in the game for weapons, and has access to three styles.

Kyles Gameplay is more or less the same as it was in the original games. He is given access to a large number of weapons that he can carry throughout the game (No three weapon rule) and is ultimately the more hardy of the three characters. His lightsaber styles can be switched as well at the push of a button and...in truth he's basically the same as he was in Outcast/Academy. His force powers are similar as well, so the only real difference in him is that he can use guns.

Dawns gameplay is like Johns focused on using only a lightsaber as opposed to any other firearms as Kyle does, however she has one trick up her sleeve: Hacking. Thanks to a portable wrist device she can hack into various machinery. Focusing on this can open her up to new things to hack: From locked doors, to disabled turrets, camera's, alarms and even to vehicles if you level it up enough. She also has the ability to switch to one other style for her sabers: Due to being a very rare type of lightsaber, her's are able to connect into a double bladed lightsaber thus introducing a different manner of fighting that seperates her from the other two characters. She's more akin to a middle ground between Kyle and John.

Enemies: Essentially it all depends on Era: John is primarily going to be up against Mechanical enemies and Seperatist droids that are all out for his head. He also has to contend with the Republic forces and other Jedi, who are much better equipped and organised then the Seperatists. John's gameplay is mostly based around avoiding direct battle though as he's not very durable, but these are enemies you have to mostly try sneaking passed.

Kyle is going to be more focused on fighting the Imperial remnants and dark jedi among other scum of the Galaxy and eventually Jaden, his old Apprentice.

Dawns main enemy are going to be smugglers, general scum and droids are also going to be forces she's going to be up against which she can fight. It's a Bantha eat Bantha Galaxy now after all, so conflict is to be expected. Bounty hunters are also at times going to try tracking Dawn down and whose skills, equipment, tactics etc will vary wildly meaning sometimes it might be wise to fight them whilst sometimes the only choice is to run. There are a few force users that may be encountered, but they range wildly from crazed hermits who can barely levitate a rock to hyper competent Dark Jedi Warlords to whom force lightning is as natural as breathing.

Multiplayer: A co-op campaign that is set during the days of the Old republic some decades after Kotor 2 in which you play as: A jedi Master, a Padawan and a bounty Hunter who have been tasked with taking down a crazed Sith lord that seems to be trying to revive the Sith forces once held by Revan and it falls to them to stop him. Think of it as an optional prequel.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
immortalfrieza said:

Besides, this is supposed to be about a hypothetical next game in TFU series, NOT about Jedi Outcast 3, that's a different game series entirely.
If you want to play a good game that is the only way, we can not turn a turd into gold, we don't have the technology!

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Mr.K. said:
immortalfrieza said:

If you want to play a good game that is the only way, we can not turn a turd into gold, we don't have the technology!
Both Force Unleashed games are perfectly good games, they just have a few problems that could easily be fixed. It's less "turning a turd into gold", more like turning silver into gold.

514d3

Nov 20, 2009
Mr.K. said:
+1 to this.

The Force Unleashed series was/is over-hyped garbage; the only interesting feature was how things could be destroyed, and even then everything fell apart like it was made of polystyrene.

OT: Whats with no Star Wars games having realistic saber combat (read: 1 hit dismemberment)? I turn that shit on by default whenever I play Outcast/Academy and it easily makes it the best star wars game ever.

Answer to my own question: Because Star Wars movies/games/tv shows are now aimed at pre-teens.