If You Won A HUGE Sum Of Money...What Weird Thing Would You Do?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Build a big public monument, like a massive statue, or fake dinosaur skeleton park, or a lighthouse on top of a giant pyramid.

And, yeah, obvious sensible stuff like investments and charity works.

Mar 30, 2010
What would I do if I won *some* money on the lottery? Purchase a decent sized smallholding, turn over a couple of acres to growing my own fruit and veg, and keeping chickens, pigs and bees, and then convert a number of barns on the property into holiday let cottages and run an 'organic getaway' business.

What would I do if I won *all* of the money on the lottery? Buy a Greek island, build villas on it for each of my mates, and spend most of my days cruising the Med in

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Sensibly, and assuming a windfall of a more 'reasonable' but nonetheless life-changing amount, like 1 to 5 million bucks, I'd give loads to my family, either through trust funds for the little ones or directly helping out (like my folks want to put a little cabin on their small lot of land on the coast, but there are ridiculous fees involved - they'd disappear, at least), and make sure that they were happy. I'd give some cool stuff to my friends too, but I'd be careful about this- pride can be hurt in cases like this, even though it's dumb luck that would lead to me getting rich like that. Most of it would get stashed away for my son, later in life.

But if I won 1.5 billion?

A gold foiled live-in supermodel? Backing singers to accompany/announce me to locations. I want a nuclear missile. I'd fund a cross between a bee and a gorilla. Clones, of me, now, no more silly red tape. I'd properly hunt for the Loch Ness Monster. I'd be the first proper cyborg, and the new body would have to be action-movie awesome - I like the robotics that DARPA has showcased recently, but I will want it up a notch from that before my brain goes in it. For my death, an actual Necropolis, and the builders will be executed and buried with me, as tradition dictates (well, Pharaonic tradition. Well, movie Pharaonic tradition.).

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Massive plot of land with a massive wall around it. Take some time away from working (by which I mean forever) to learn and do things I want to do rather than have to do. Enough philanthropy to feel good about myself.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
I would go full Scrooge McDuck. Charity Schmarity. My contributions to humanity via investment and technological progress would be more than enough.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Start funding mean pranks that I'll call "social experiments". Fund lots of other dumbass projects, but instead of shilling for companies at the same time I could tell them to go screw themselves. Become a meme.

Get some sailing lessons, rent an SS, sail around the world. I guess I could buy some friends to accompany me as well.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Try (in some hamfisted, incompetent, easily-taken-advantage-of-in-my-naivete way) to solve some real local problems. I say "local" because even 1.5 billion USD makes me small-fry compared to the budgets of governments.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
JoJo said:
Oh, the other thing I've wanted to do since I was a kid was to have a whole house made of cheese. Then hold a party where we eat the cheese.
Okay , there has to be a story behind this.

OT: I'd buy an island and seclude myself from society. No joke. I'm going full on hermit.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
twistedmic said:
Buy the rights to the Muppets and Sesame Street and do my damnedest to get my favorite movies, like Django Unchained, Mad Max: Fury Road, Gangs of New York and (original)Robocop redone (shot for shot, word for word) with muppet and Sesame Street characters.
So you'd be the bad guy from the 2011 Muppets film?

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Pay someone to build a giant Cup Noodles and chill in it like it's a hot tub.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
If by some miracle we solved world hunger, healthcare, homelessness and climate impact by then I would want to build community centers where people could access industrial equipment ( 3d printers, die cutters, welding, ect) to be able to create their own arts and inventions giving people more access to the resources needed to invent our future. Something frivolous I would like to buy for myself would be a unique home I designed myself with massive fish tanks that appear as pools or ponds you can swim in from the upstairs and are massive aquariums from the downstairs, air bag padded bouncy room with a massive powerful fan that blows down on you from the ceiling and a huge swimming pool out back with crazy slides and diving boards coming from the upstairs bedrooms and roof to the pool.

If healthcare, hunger, homelessness and climate impact has not been solved, then of course I would spend my money funding making government changes to help resolve these things long term, paying for medical scholarships to aid with the Physician shortage and pay to open clinics to increase accessibility, fund mass desalination to combat water shortages and use the brine to 3d print building materials to build no income/low income safe, livable housing. Focus on making healthcare accessible and providing decent housing to people who need it most, and not that ignorant "tiny house" crap. ALL People deserve a livable space for their families. If people do not have room to do hobbies, work and live in a home it is too small to be considered a home. Trying to make the poor suffer in small, unsafe spaces needs to end. We can work on ending water shortages and help with housing at the same time by making the brine a useful resource.

If it was an insane amount of money, I would build a future vertical city that was super high tech on the inside and like the amazon jungle on the outside with giant waterfalls and massive amounts of plant and animal life.

Though I am also partial to bubbly buildings like these vertical farms:
https://www.lifeadvancer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Vertical-Farming-is-the-Future-of-Food-Production.jpg

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
If we're not talking about the obvious donations to charity, go onto kickstarter and do a bunch of those max tier pledges and buy myself a house with single rooms that has multiple levels, because that multi-layered shit tickles me pink.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Buy a few republican senators and make them vote with the democrats.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Gigantic container ships. Malaccamax, at least... outfit a small army and create a micronation that makes money from smuggling goods. You can buy Maersk Triple E-class bulk carriers for 185 million each.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Lufia Erim said:
JoJo said:
Oh, the other thing I've wanted to do since I was a kid was to have a whole house made of cheese. Then hold a party where we eat the cheese.
Okay , there has to be a story behind this.
I wish there was, but no, I just really like cheese.