Ignorance on Facebook (censored for the well-being of this thread)

Mark Flanagan

Apr 25, 2011
Disgraceful, and people wonder why America is held in such low regard.

/note the poster does not believe all Americans are like this.

sheogoraththemad

Feb 6, 2010
and it's the tsunami/Pearl Harbor thing all over again, I don't find it strange when the Anon or anything like that acts like a asshole (cause that's what they do) but to post this ignorant and racist shit where everyone can read this is just really really retarded

Bugerion

Jan 10, 2011
First ones are ok retarded people are retarded but it's the second part that is preatty disturbing I mean:I hope another Tsunami hits those gooks-This isn't funny these people should get closed in Asylum

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
So apparently those 100 or so dumb asses are the spokespersons for America. I was not aware of this. Apparently they were voted in last election, because Lord knows if they weren't then that collage would only be a massive waste of time that gives a bunch of attention to a bunch of semi-retarded, piece of shit, trolls that are in the massive minority, that we as intelligent people should be ignoring. However I'm glad that I don't live in a world that would be so stupid as to give a bunch of losers more time than they're worth.

FangShadow

Feb 18, 2009
Catie Caraco said:
Frankster said:
Honestly this is the reason why I usually hope USA doesn't win major competitions.

They(woohoo for generalizations) are insufferable barstards with a superiority complex when they win anything, and are just as much of twats when they lose, in both cases usually deforming history greatly to fit in to their silly world views. Or so is the general impression I got of a significant portion of their inhabitants who populate youtube+facebook,etc...

As much as it's horrible now, just be glad they lost, otherwise would be waves of "we won again you gook barstards", "ha you we nuked you TWICE, in rl and in football" and much more loveliness.
Hey, don't hate on all of us. We're not all like that. However, the quiet majority who don't make public spectacles of themselves are not generally the ones you hear from. This might get me in trouble with other Americans on the forum, but at times like these I have no pride in being American, and considering the last presidency, it's hard for me to remember a time when I did that wasn't youthful exuberance.

The fact that I'd like to point out to those racist meatheads is that World War 2 was honestly the last time we did anything that could be considered a win. We lost Korea, we lost Vietnam, we never won Afghanistan because we got wrapped up in Iraq, which wasn't a win either, despite victory being declared. Ok, we finally got Osama, so maybe that's a win, but it doesn't have the same feel of saving the world from evil as winning WW2 did. Between Japans barbarism in China and Hitler's Final Solution, it really felt like we were doing something great. Osama was evil, and the things he did were terrible, but somehow they aren't on the same level of the shock and awe scale as the Death Camps and Death Marches.

Actually, World War 2 is pretty much America's ONLY win. What did we do before that? Slavery and the Trail of Tears, the Japanese Internment Camps (I know that was during WW2). Can we really count the War of 1812 as a great moral victory? Even the Civil War was shady enough, and all of the hate and civil injustice that followed is hardly a win. Perhaps we can take pride in the Civil Rights movement and the Women's Rights movement, but looking at all those posts full of racial intolerance and slurs makes me wonder how successful we really were at either.

... Getting back on topic after a rather rambling philosophical tangent, I would ask Frankster and other non-Americans not to paint us all with the same brush as those in that image. We're not all like that. Some of us can lose gracefully and celebrate the victories of others. Some of us find shame in the dark parts of our past and chose not to celebrate them but remember them as they should be remembered, failures on a human and moral level. Some of us aspire to be more that loudmouthed arrogant fools screaming hate speech in the vacuum of Facebook. We do exist, and we're ashamed of our countrymen, and just as put off by them as you are.

Peace.
As a fellow american, you sir have said everything that I could possible say. And in a much better fashion to boot. Thank you.

In short, I agree.

poppabaggins

May 29, 2009
I find it amazing that
1. Americans care about soccer
and
2. Americans care about WOMEN'S soccer
Really?

The WW2 comments and general stupidity, sadly unsurprising. This really just supports my plan of making everything west of the Mississippi, east of the Rockies, and south of Maryland into colonies.

lyfeindeyth

Jan 3, 2010
One Hit Noob said:
jck4332 said:
What the fuck is a gook?
That's gotta be the stupidest insult I've ever heard.
Gooks is a racists word for vietnamese people. But apparently some people don't know the difference between Japan and Vietnam. The term was popularized in Vietnam war movies.
Yo! I'm vietnamese, and I remember one time my friends and I (jew, muslim, irish/scottich, me) were thinking about what kind of racial slurs there were. Now we have one for me, but isnt gook also used for koreans?

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
GrimSheeper said:
I don't doubt that the US involvement played a role in winning the war over Nazi-Germany. However, what I think is the problem with people who make comments like shown in the original post is that they believe it was the US alone that stormed the beaches of Okinawa, raised the stars and stripes on Iwo Jima and allowed the Russians to casually walk into Berlin. I guess you know that the Ostfront saw battles with casuality rates about 8 times higher than every engagement on the western front combined. So while the US did help, if Hitler wasn't busy keeping Stalin from rolling over the Oder, the Third Reich would have pushed the US invasion right back into the ocean. I'm glad that didn't happen and I'm not accusing anyone of being wrong, that's just how it was and people should understand that. If it weren't for the Cold War, we would have seen a lot more movies depicting Russians as the heroes instead of just showing over and over again how US soldiers freed france.
Well... Again, technically the United States did fight Iwo Jima alone, and Okinawa with a modest amount of British air support that we probably could have done without. Without American production filling in all the material that the Soviets weren't making, Hitler would probably have rolled clean through the country eventually.

If you want to speculate (and go off-topic, woohoo!)... Hmm...

If the Germans and Soviets had reached a binding treaty (and stuck to it), the Germans would have turned their full attention towards Britain. It's... probable that with sufficient support from the United States, Britain could have repelled a German invasion, and we'd have been left with an uneasy stalemate, and possibly an extended Cold War as Germany digested its new European holdings. The United States could have forced the issue; we had the industrial power and population to simple swamp the Germans under, if necessary, but it's doubtful that the American people would have been especially interested in doing so. Japan would have been defeated either way, of course; their fate was sealed the moment they bombed Pearl Harbor.

If American isolationism had held fully intact (ie, no Lend-Lease, no embargo against Japan, etc)... Germany wins in Europe, almost undoubtedly. The United States supplied something like 70% of the trucks used in the Soviet Union, 95% of the locomotives constructed during the war in the Soviet Union, 20% of the Soviet Air Force... The list is rather extensive. It's likely that without that support, the Soviets would have been unable to produce sufficient quantities of war materials to keep the Germans at bay. Interestingly, this variation also assumes that Japan never attacks the United States, giving Japan free reign to harass Soviet holdings in Siberia.

Now, if we factor in Lend-Lease, the landscape shifts again. German likely loses; while the reopening of the Western Front certainly sped the end of the war, the Soviets would probably have been able to maintain sufficient morale and momentum to steadily push the Eastern Front in their favor, assuming that they were receiving the massive support that they did. Japan is a wild card here; if they attack the United States, they lose quickly. If they maintain the Tripartite Pact, they'd ultimately come into conflict with the Soviet Union, but given the generally ineffectiveness of the Soviet Navy, it's unlikely that the Soviets would have pushed that conflict too hard. Peace treaty, ceding Japanese holdings in Asia (Korea, most likely) to the Soviets is a likely result.

But any way you play it out, there would still be idiots on Facebook, or Gesichtsbuch, or whatever Facebook analogue springs into being in our hypothetical universes.

farscythe

Dec 8, 2010
spartandude said:
This reminds me of a far more extreme version of what happened when England lost to Germany in the world cup
ah yes... but england losing to germany and the rage war that follows it are pretty much a bi yearly tradition now.

not that that makes it any better.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
It's all over Twitter too. What really bugs me is that none of these brats have probably EVER fought a war and probably don't even have grandparents that fought/died in any wars (let alone WWII)

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
At least we aren't rioting, which involves real destruction of property and occasional serious bodily harm. I mean yes, invoking the death of millions of Japanese is a dick move no matter how you look at it, but the pot would be calling the kettle black to say this is as bad or worse than the rioting that happens every world cup. Other countries break stuff, costing millions in repairs, Americans throw out insults. Who's doing the worse deed?

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
KaizokuouHasu said:
I don't really know what the curriculum in the U.S. covers, but I'm pretty sure it goes along the lines of:
"-We won WW2. Single Handedly, obviously. The Europeans were defenceless. By the way. The capital of Europe is France, and they have the Queen of England on the throne.
-Pearl Harbour was an act of evil from the Japs and there was nothing we could have done to defend ourselves from this demonic evil - not even lift the radio silence so we could warn them about the incoming attack that we knew about for more than 24 hours.
-We won the Vietnamese war. Totally. That was just a tactical retreat to... y'know... stuff.
-Oh! And we won the Civil war. Definitely! And, yeah, it totally counts as a victory to us - and it doesn't matter that we fought against ourselves!"
-We were the deciding factor of WWII and the world would have crumbled without us (paraphrasing of textbooks)
-Pearl Harbor was an attack against the US which caught us off guard. Evil yes, but fully within reason since they were our enemies.
-Conflict Vietnam was lost. There was never a war. Same with Korea.
-The Civil was was awful fighting brother against brother. Now everyone who is right wing take the ideals of the Confederates to heart while all liberals take Union ideals. This is how you will live and it will divide our country even more than it already is.

That's pretty much my summation of my American history in high school. I've a lick of sense and know not to believe any of the shit they said. So I looked up the real events myself.

Though, these people were the ones who probably didn't even pay attention in those classes, so I can't really even blame the education system.

(I think the worst part is that 7th through 10th grade history was literally "Holocaust 101 with added WWII background".)

Stevanchez

Apr 15, 2009
aegix drakan said:
And all this over SOCCER?! WE CANADIANS DON'T EVEN FLIP OUT LIKE THAT OVER HOCKEY!! AND WE FREAKIN LOVE HOCKEY!!
No offense, but didn't you guys nearly destroy a city after losing the Stanley Cup?

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Stasisesque said:
You think that's bad? We lost to France.
I really shouldn't be laughing at that.

I'm all in favour of electrocuting anyone who signs up for Bookface anyway.
*sadface* Even me? Facebook isn't all bad.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Catie Caraco said:
Frankster said:
Honestly this is the reason why I usually hope USA doesn't win major competitions.

They(woohoo for generalizations) are insufferable barstards with a superiority complex when they win anything, and are just as much of twats when they lose, in both cases usually deforming history greatly to fit in to their silly world views. Or so is the general impression I got of a significant portion of their inhabitants who populate youtube+facebook,etc...

As much as it's horrible now, just be glad they lost, otherwise would be waves of "we won again you gook barstards", "ha you we nuked you TWICE, in rl and in football" and much more loveliness.
Hey, don't hate on all of us. We're not all like that. However, the quiet majority who don't make public spectacles of themselves are not generally the ones you hear from. This might get me in trouble with other Americans on the forum, but at times like these I have no pride in being American, and considering the last presidency, it's hard for me to remember a time when I did that wasn't youthful exuberance.

The fact that I'd like to point out to those racist meatheads is that World War 2 was honestly the last time we did anything that could be considered a win. We lost Korea, we lost Vietnam, we never won Afghanistan because we got wrapped up in Iraq, which wasn't a win either, despite victory being declared. Ok, we finally got Osama, so maybe that's a win, but it doesn't have the same feel of saving the world from evil as winning WW2 did. Between Japans barbarism in China and Hitler's Final Solution, it really felt like we were doing something great. Osama was evil, and the things he did were terrible, but somehow they aren't on the same level of the shock and awe scale as the Death Camps and Death Marches.

Actually, World War 2 is pretty much America's ONLY win. What did we do before that? Slavery and the Trail of Tears, the Japanese Internment Camps (I know that was during WW2). Can we really count the War of 1812 as a great moral victory? Even the Civil War was shady enough, and all of the hate and civil injustice that followed is hardly a win. Perhaps we can take pride in the Civil Rights movement and the Women's Rights movement, but looking at all those posts full of racial intolerance and slurs makes me wonder how successful we really were at either.

... Getting back on topic after a rather rambling philosophical tangent, I would ask Frankster and other non-Americans not to paint us all with the same brush as those in that image. We're not all like that. Some of us can lose gracefully and celebrate the victories of others. Some of us find shame in the dark parts of our past and chose not to celebrate them but remember them as they should be remembered, failures on a human and moral level. Some of us aspire to be more that loudmouthed arrogant fools screaming hate speech in the vacuum of Facebook. We do exist, and we're ashamed of our countrymen, and just as put off by them as you are.

Peace.
Thank you. You expressed this clearer, and with less frustration, than I would have been able to. I would take it even farther and say that honestly there are very few times where I actually take pride in being an American.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
I just don't know what to say, I mean really guys, "Well at least we'll always have Hiroshima :D" the stupidity of that statement knows no bounds, the very idea that people would compare a loss of life of that magnitude to losing a f**king soccer game would be like if a german lost to a jewish guy in a staring contest and said something alongs the lines of "Well at least we'll always have Hitler :D" I mean really guys, know I know where the stereotype that america is a nation of asshats comes from.