7 - The Matrix
6 - Planet Of The Apes
5 - The Empire Strikes Back
4 - Alien
3 - A New Hope
2 - 2001: A Space Odyssey
1 - Blade Runner

-------------------------------------

I think its a fair list but I am suprised District 9 is that high and behind Avatar imo.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
I'm surprised that "The Thing" is that high on the list. I've have expected it under 15 or so.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
And they justify Avatar how? That it had more visitors than Titanic? That's not what makes a good film, look at all the Twilights!
EDIT: Wait, that list goes from 25 down. That changes things a bit...

I like how they placed Body Snatchers so high, the film is really good, but I miss Fantastic Voyage. While I have not seen the latter myself yet it is certainly a sci-fi milestone.

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
I'm actually surprised, that a really good list, equal blend of classics, new films and real period stuff like Metropolis.

I was expecting real crap, I remember a while back they did their best 10 movies of the decade or something and put all 3 lord of the rings movies in, Spider man 1 and 2, and both Batman films. Really IGN can you try not be suck fucking nerds!

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Avatar not only made it into the top 25 (What the hell?), but it beat out both District 9 (One of the most brilliant sci-fi movies since 2000, if, for no other reason, it wasn't REALLY about sci-fi),and Moon (The MOST brilliant Sci-Fi movie in the last decade)?

IGN... blow me.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Could someone tell me what makes "A Clockwork Orange" science fiction?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
It's a "dystopian future" movie, which is a science fiction genre. 1984 is also part of the Science Fiction genre.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I've totally not seen most of the films on that list. I guess that means i'm not a sci-fi person. >_>

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
oliveira8 said:
chozo_hybrid said:
It's a "dystopian future" movie, which is a science fiction genre. 1984 is also part of the Science Fiction genre.
Ah okay, I obviously just never got that. Thanks, I just never thought scifi when I watched it.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
The escapist forum is post hungry. *tries to reassemble*

Never seen district 9, probably should, too lazy. List is overall good, save that 2001 is rubbish and I don't care who says otherwise, and the list has insufficient Dune.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Korten12 said:
1 - Blade Runner
Holy crap that's my favorite Sci-Fi movie of all time too... also someone needs to be punished for not including Metropolis...

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
Good list. Personally, I may have included Wall E, however, I have not seen all the movies on that list so don't know what I would replace.

TheBoulder

Nov 11, 2009
I read the book that Bladerunner was based off of first, and I can honestly say, the movie is nothing compared to the book.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Not a bad list at all. I usually expect a lot of crap from IGN but this isn't bad at all.

Not sure why so many people hate Avatar all that much. It's dumb, but it's beautiful.

chickencow said:
I read the book that Bladerunner was based off of first, and I can honestly say, the movie is nothing compared to the book.
Muh...Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep isn't all that great. I couldn't even finish it.

nuqneh1

Aug 15, 2010
Moon should definitely be ranked better on the list. At least below Aliens.

Other than that I think this list is pretty good.