IGN's Top 25 Sci-Fi Movies of all time.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
I have never cared for the second terminator film, I don't know why it always makes it onto "top sci fi" lists

Serenegoose said:
The escapist forum is post hungry. *tries to reassemble*

Never seen district 9, probably should, too lazy. List is overall good, save that 2001 is rubbish and I don't care who says otherwise, and the list has insufficient Dune.
To each his own, 2001 is not an easy film to love but I admire their scientific correctness when it comes to matters of outer space.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Sacman said:
o okay I guess I need to read the entire OP than... teehee...
Actually, it's now Escapist policy for anybody who has been wrong on the internet to be summarily banned after a Show Trial. Reading the OP in future is taken as an admission of guilt that had you read it this time, you would have presented a correct statement, and this trial is over. Verdict: Guilty. You will now be banned from the internet. Enforcement Officers should arrive at your home shortly to remove all the internetonium from your computer.

Have a pleasant day.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I think that number one is about right, as you might guess from my avatar, and 2001 is a safe choice but then it starts to fall apart a bit.

May 23, 2010
SomeBritishDude said:
Not sure why so many people hate Avatar all that much. It's dumb, but it's beautiful.
While true, these are the best 25 sci-fi films EVER. That means they should be fucking amazing, not mediocre with pretty effects.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
chickencow said:
I read the book that Bladerunner was based off of first, and I can honestly say, the movie is nothing compared to the book.
Agreed in terms of utter bleakness and general strangeness the book is better than the movie.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
SomeBritishDude said:
Not sure why so many people hate Avatar all that much. It's dumb, but it's beautiful.
While true, these are the best 25 sci-fi films EVER. That means they should be fucking amazing, not mediocre with pretty effects.
exactly...

stiborge

Sep 23, 2009
I generally dislike IGN but this list isn't too bad. I would replace Avatar with something else and there are a few movies up there that I haven't seen but other then that it isn't too bad.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
ma55ter_fett said:
Agreed in terms of utter bleakness and general strangeness the book is better than the movie.
The movie was a great adaptation but no Philip K Dick adaptation has managed to match his ability to properly convey the desperation and confusion of his characters. Harrison Ford was pretty bad as a Dick character but Keanu Reeves did a lot better in A Scanner Darkly.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
ma55ter_fett said:
I have never cared for the second terminator film, I don't know why it always makes it onto "top sci fi" lists

Serenegoose said:
The escapist forum is post hungry. *tries to reassemble*

Never seen district 9, probably should, too lazy. List is overall good, save that 2001 is rubbish and I don't care who says otherwise, and the list has insufficient Dune.
To each his own, 2001 is not an easy film to love but I admire their scientific correctness when it comes to matters of outer space.
The second Terminator set the standard for ALL action films that followed it. It was (arguably) the first mainstream movie to use CGI, was well paced, had excellent shot work and choreography, and had an excellent story for an action movie of its era. It is, without a doubt, my favorite action movie of all time (Just as Terminator 1 is my favorite chase/horror movie of all time).

Of course, that's all opinion, and I don't wish to argue it in this thread... but I thought you might like to know why we, the collective, enjoy it.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
Before I clicked on this I thought 'if Empire Strikes Back isn't number one then I refuse to acknowledge it's existence'. The fact that it comes below A New Hope is just downright insulting!

eelel

May 29, 2009
I love blade runner, especially the original cut, but I am shocked it is number 1.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
fullbleed said:
I'm actually surprised, that a really good list, equal blend of classics, new films and real period stuff like Metropolis.

I was expecting real crap, I remember a while back they did their best 10 movies of the decade or something and put all 3 lord of the rings movies in, Spider man 1 and 2, and both Batman films. Really IGN can you try not be suck fucking nerds!
I think when it comes to a film series... They should just pick the one they favoured out of the of the series and explain the reason why they left the other films out.

johnsom

May 28, 2009
I'd add dark city to that list in place of movies that don't really seem scifi to me.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
By IGN standards, this isn't that bad... KEYWORD: By IGN Standards (I'm STILL pissed about their Top 100 Videogame Villians list). This is the 2nd list they've made that I've seen that hasn't caused complete RAGE. (other being top 100 comic villians, and there were some RAGE moments there as well.)

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
T2 wasn't bad, but i think T1 is better and that one should be in the top 25. Probably on the place of Avatar, which should not have a place in any list containing the word 'best'.

btw, i recently saw this german SF movie called: Cargo [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381940/] (IMDB link) If you liked Moon, you will like Cargo as well.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Have to say there's a few movies, like 'Jurassic Park' and 'The Thing' that I don't really see as 'sci-fi'.

Also, Star Wars TESB/RotJ > ANH.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
Im kind of upset End of Evangelion isn't anywhere on the list. But, I must say, this is the first IGN list in a while that has really impressed me. I mean yeah, you can nit pick(Avatar...), but over all it is a solid and well put together list.

-Edit-

Oh and Solaris/Stalker...
SHAME! On IGN for their ANGLOPHINIA!!!

Gunsang

Jun 7, 2010
I came to this thread thinking that I would have at least one choice to mock, but this is actually a very good list. I'm surprised they had Moon up there, I love that movie.