IGN's Top 25 Sci-Fi Movies of all time.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
Could someone tell me what makes "A Clockwork Orange" science fiction?
It's about fictional science techniques, that'd be my guess.
I didn't pick up a "dystopian future" vibe like the other guy did but i guess that could be another reason.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Wow, I can in expecting an obligatory IGN hate fest, and it's actually pretty tame. I'm good with that list I guess. Though I have a confession that will surely kill what standing I ever had here:

I kind of...loved Avatar.

And kind of...hated 2001: A Space Odyssey...and A Clockwork Orange (love the rest of Kubrick's stuff, though. Dr. Strangelove makes my top 5)

A lot of the movie's on that list are very recent (District 9, Moon, Avatar. All of which I loved, by the way). I think you need to give them a few years to really consider their worth. It's always funny how some movies just fade.

Gunsang

Jun 7, 2010
captainwillies said:
personally a space odyssey was better than blade runner. AND WERE THE HELL IS "TRON"
Lol, I don't really think Tron would belong in a top 25. It's a good movie, it had great special effect, etc... but it's not really that influential or meaningful. Look, you can nitpick and we all have a own personal preferences, but for a top _____ list, it's a very well thought out list.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
Was going through IGN's explanations and found a pretty curious line.

"Today Transformers is Hollywood's version of 2001."

wait wut?

Apr 29, 2010
Aylaine said:
I don't think Avatar should be that high. Switch it with District 9 plox!
Or, we could kick it off completely, and make it the top 24 sci-fi movies of all time. 24 is a good number, right?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
He say you Bwade Wunna.

Blade Runner is about as faithful an adaptation of a Dick story as Total Recall is of We Can Remember That For You Wholesale, doesn't mean it isn't a great film. (Director's Cut).

I'm... I'm OK with that list.

Also, does anyone know which Bodysnatchers makes the list? I have a fondness for the 70's remake mostly because of the final scene with Donald Sutherland.

Gunsang

Jun 7, 2010
Sjakie said:
btw, i recently saw this german SF movie called: Cargo [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381940/] (IMDB link) If you liked Moon, you will like Cargo as well.
I'll have to check that out. Thanks for recomending it to those of us who liked Moon.
ProfessorLayton said:
I'm glad Moon is on there. It deserves more recognition than it got.
I think most good indie films suffer from lack of recognition.
DustyDrB said:
I kind of...loved Avatar.

And kind of...hated 2001: A Space Odyssey...and A Clockwork Orange (love the rest of Kubrick's stuff, though. Dr. Strangelove makes my top 5)
He liked Avatar! Get him! No, I think it was a pretty good movie that people like to hate on. I just hate on James Cameron in general which includes Avatar. I would have raged if Aliens was above Alien. I like Ridley Scott so much better than James Cameron.

Shame you didn't like 2001 or A Clockwork Orange; you still have to admit that they are deserving of their spot though. I admit Aliens deserves to be up there, even though I don't like James Cameron.
octafish said:
Also, does anyone know which Bodysnatchers makes the list? I have a fondness for the 70's remake mostly because of the final scene with Donald Sutherland.
I would guess the 50s one considering it gets more recognition.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Where's 28 Days later? Didn't that create the zombie trend?

Edit: I didn't like District 9 for some reason. I'm trying to figure out why.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
I'm glad Moon is on there. It deserves more recognition than it got.
Agreed. Superbly simple film. Kinda wish it was higher on the list.

johnsom said:
I'd add dark city to that list in place of movies that don't really seem scifi to me.
No need: Matrix approximately = Dark City. Or vice versa, chronologically.

While I can understand and appreciate the intellectual underpinnings of 2001, I simply can't shake how incredibly boring it is. I suppose that in and of itself is symbolic as well, but still. Hit the snooze button until HAL comes online.

That A New Hope is higher than The Empire Strikes Back is unforgivable.

masseyguy911

Aug 6, 2010
Wow, for once I actually think IGN made a decent list.
My biggest concern is Avatar, sorry just can't see how thats on there. Everything else is fine by me.

Catalysis

Aug 26, 2010
johnsom said:
I'd add dark city to that list in place of movies that don't really seem scifi to me.
Thank you

The worst part of this list is FUCKING Avatar. Please see enclosed link for further flame.
http://wtfoodge.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/avatar-pocahontas-500x486.jpg

CountRaven

Jun 8, 2010
That is a lovely list, except for Bladerunner. I really did not like that film at all. It was what I had to study for my HSC last year though, so that might have set me against it (like all texts that you have to study for school).
I did enjoy District 9, it was so unique. Uni holidays are comeing in less then two weeks so I can look forward to seeing any movies on the list that I haven't watched.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Gunsang said:
I think most good indie films suffer from lack of recognition.
This is very true, but I'm kind of glad. I tend to enjoy movies more where there is little hype for it. Like if one or two people told me that it was good I tend to enjoy myself more than if I read hundreds of reviews saying it was the best movie of all time. This is also why I think people didn't like the Hurt Locker as much. When I went to go see it... I saw only one review saying it was excellent and never even seen a trailer for it. I left the theater accurately predicting Best Picture and I loved every minute of it. Then it started to get recognition and more and more people had heard of it... when the hype for a movie like that is so much, there's no way it could live up.

And seeing smaller budget indie films is good for my indie cred.

Catalysis said:
The worst part of this list is FUCKING Avatar. Please see enclosed link for further flame.
http://wtfoodge.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/avatar-pocahontas-500x486.jpg
I hate it when people say that... it was more Dances With Wolves than it was Pocahontas. It got hyped up way too much, sure, but either was it was a fun time at the movies with some incredibly good special effects.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
WHAT!? I'm sorry but Star Wars was not good enough to be ahead of either Jurassic Park or Aliens (especially Aliens). For that matter, why the fuck is Aliens behind Alien? The sequel was one of the few sequels that actually was better than the original material. This list is completely fucked up on just that observation alone.

Thurmer

Jul 15, 2009
inception is kinda science fiction but not enough I reckon, although i loved it. also serenity, so great. honorable mentions to 12 monkeys and dark city as well.

Gunsang

Jun 7, 2010
SilverUchiha said:
WHAT!? I'm sorry but Star Wars was not good enough to be ahead of either Jurassic Park or Aliens (especially Aliens). For that matter, why the fuck is Aliens behind Alien? The sequel was one of the few sequels that actually was better than the original material. This list is completely fucked up on just that observation alone.
I was going to back off from this thread, but I have to disagree with you. Alien is MUCH better than Aliens. Alien is brilliant. The atmosphere is unmistakable and eerie. You have characters who are real and unique; these are real people who are dieing. It has a great plot twist. Alien came out and was so well received, because it was new, unique, and really just a great film.

Aliens on the other hand is just another shoot 'um up, with cookie cutter characters, no real plot, an obvious anti-military sentiment(Not that this makes a movie bad, but it's done in an unsophisticated and brutish manner. James Cameron could learn a few things from Stanley Kubrick concerning this.), and overall a very predictable Hollywood movie. I only like this film because I'm a fan of the Alien universe and, despite it's flaws, it's a very fun movie.
The Great JT said:
Wow, Star Wars isn't even on the list? That's a shocker.
Um... Number 3 and 5.
Thurmer said:
inception is kinda science fiction but not enough I reckon, although i loved it. also serenity, so great. honorable mentions to 12 monkeys and dark city as well.
They may not have gotten 12 Monkeys, but they did get one of Terry Gilliam's other films: Brazil.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
The Great JT said:
Wow, Star Wars isn't even on the list? That's a shocker.
The Empires Strike back and A New Hope are Star Wars. A New hope which on IGN was listed as just Star Wars but It talked only about A New Hope.