IGN's Top 25 Sci-Fi Movies of all time.

Aug 1, 2010
Well....(raises invincible flame shield).... Good list, but The Day the Earth Stood Still and Wrath of Khan should not be on there. Calling something good just because it was good for it's day is stupid, and Khan was not even close to the best Star Trek movie. Also, New Hope and Empire, but NOT Return??? If you just close your eyes at the Ewok pats, it's amazing. Something everyone can agree an: WHY IS AVATAR ABOVE DISTRICT 9!?!?

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I wasn't really too wowd by Blade Runner, but everything else appears to be in it's rightful place. Except swap some of the star wars ones.

JWW

Jan 6, 2010
Avatar was ranked higher than District 9? Higher than Moon? FUCKLEDOODLEDOO!

Well, it's IGN, I guess a certain amount of retardedness is expected. And Blade Runner wasn't that great, it might not even belong on this list (but Avatar definitely does NOT deserve a place ANYWHERE on the list)

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
ma55ter_fett said:
I have never cared for the second terminator film, I don't know why it always makes it onto "top sci fi" lists

Serenegoose said:
The escapist forum is post hungry. *tries to reassemble*

Never seen district 9, probably should, too lazy. List is overall good, save that 2001 is rubbish and I don't care who says otherwise, and the list has insufficient Dune.
To each his own, 2001 is not an easy film to love but I admire their scientific correctness when it comes to matters of outer space.
Though predicting that it would be IBM of all people who perfected AI is a bit of a joke.

Aug 1, 2010
Nouw said:
IGN? Now that's a damn fine list with some flaws like one. Where's my Starship Troopers?
You mean the horribly acted, Stupidly patriotic, Stupidly cheesy, book butchering Starship Troopers? Its that the Starship Troopers you were referring to?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
MrDeckard said:
Well....(raises invincible flame shield).... Good list, but The Day the Earth Stood Still and Wrath of Khan should not be on there. Calling something good just because it was good for it's day is stupid, and Khan was not even close to the best Star Trek movie. Also, New Hope and Empire, but NOT Return??? If you just close your eyes at the Ewok pats, it's amazing. Something everyone can agree an: WHY IS AVATAR ABOVE DISTRICT 9!?!?
Just wondering, if not Khan then which Star Trek movie? I've got to say that Khan is my favorite and leads very well into Search for Spock and The Voyage Home. In fact these three are the only three I'd bother with.

Aug 1, 2010
octafish said:
MrDeckard said:
Just wondering, if not Khan then which Star Trek movie? I've got to say that Khan is my favorite and leads very well into Search for Spock and The Voyage Home. In fact these three are the only three I'd bother with.
I haven't seen them in a while, but how about (raises second flame shield) some Picard? And if not that, then I would say Undiscovered Country or Search for Spock.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
Agayek said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Could someone tell me what makes "A Clockwork Orange" science fiction?
I was wondering that myself. I guess it's got the whole "dystopian future" vibe that happens in so much sci-fi, but other than that there's really no sci-fi elements that I can think of.
Well for one yes, it takes place in a near-future dystopia. Secondly, a big aspect of the book deals with the idea of reprogramming a human being, and while there have been studies and research into reprogramming people, I don't think anything is quite as effective as the tools used in the story, if not now then definitely not when it was written.

So yeah, it's scifi. It's not obvious about it like your star treks and stuff, but I can totally see how it's scifi.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
MrDeckard said:
Calling something good just because it was good for it's day is stupid...
I don't see why. When judging something you really have to judge it in the context of the world it came out of. That's an accepted rule of criticism.

cannot_aim

Dec 18, 2008
wish district 9 was a bit higher and Avatar really shouldn't be up there, its good just not that good.

Aug 1, 2010
AgentNein said:
MrDeckard said:
Calling something good just because it was good for it's day is stupid...
I don't see why. When judging something you really have to judge it in the context of the world it came out of. That's an accepted rule of criticism.
But [i/]why[/i] is it an accepted rule of criticism? We don't call Neanderthals brilliant simply because they made fire. We acknowledge that it was a building block and that without it we would not be where we are, but we wouldn't put them in a list of the smartest people of all time. The other thing that really bugs me, is that there seems to be some kind of unspoken agreement that no semi-new or new movies (with the exception of arty and/or films with a message) are allowed on a top ten list.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
MrDeckard said:
Nouw said:
IGN? Now that's a damn fine list with some flaws like one. Where's my Starship Troopers?
You mean the horribly acted, Stupidly patriotic, Stupidly cheesy, book butchering Starship Troopers? Its that the Starship Troopers you were referring to?
Was good enough for me. I liked it.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Why is Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country not in there? That's the best Trek film!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Hey. Hey. People.

This is not the Top 25 Sci-Fi Movies of all-time. This is IGN's Top Sci-Fi Movies of all-time. That's THEIR opinion. That's which movies they like.

I can't stomach Avatar, for example, but if they think it's better than District 9 - that's their opinion.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Geekosaurus said:
Before I clicked on this I thought 'if Empire Strikes Back isn't number one then I refuse to acknowledge it's existence'. The fact that it comes below A New Hope is just downright insulting!
I agree, somewhat, but I understand why IV gets more love: it was the original. The start of the trilogy that came to define a generation of films and film-makers. Empire is a better story though.