I'll name that beep in one.

Feb 13, 2008
What sound effects make you shiver with delight, anticipation or horror?

Obvious ones would be "KA-CHICK" of a shotgun, "DING!" from Everquest, or the suit refilling whir r on HL.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
In real life, the smash of wood breaking, but I haven't heard a good video game version; so I choose the chainsaw from gears. Because it's a chainsaw, duh.

KefZ_X

Nov 14, 2007
Surrounded by 50 zombies cornered in a dark alley, the final survivor on your team with a pistol in hand you steady your aim and *click*.........

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
The dull, whirling sound of a level up on WoW. Despite the noise only being about for a very short time, it still manages to vibrate off the walls of your soul, cooling you with the relaxing reassurance of self-accomplishment.

The bomb ticking on CS:S also has a special place in my heart. It usually goes unnoticed, however, especially since it is hardly heard over the rapid clicking of keyboards everywhere typing 'bet t all'.

Minhef

Jan 22, 2008
I love the sound med kits make in Condemned. I also love the sound they make in Half Life...

I guess I just love the idea of being healed.

DeGoon

Mar 28, 2008
depends on the atmosphere. Mine's that grinding sound of metal on metal slowly getting louder from a quiet start.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Well i don't know what too say here i want to say the rev of a f1 car at the start of forza but that feels a bit hollow. So i think im going to go with "FATILITY" from MK always gives you some satisfaction.

Sib

Dec 22, 2007
anything the guy in halo multiplayer says, you know the announcer who goes "overkill" or whatever. Ditto for the unreal tournament one.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
The sounds of a Big Daddy (and screams of a Little Sister) make me get ready for the confrontation for "All the tasty ADAM I can eat". That, and the Arbitar's roar. Elites in general, I suppose.

mshcherbatskaya

Feb 1, 2008
silentsentinel said:
In Halo: Combat Evolved the hum of the regenerating shields were always reassuring.
Yep, and on the flip-side, the "oh shit" beep-beep-beep-beep-beep of your shields going down.

Mar 26, 2008
Thunderhorse said:
Sonic's inhalation of an air bubble. Bu-KUP!
I do like that one!

The wet "whap" sound the pipe makes when making contact with a bum's skull in Condemned 2 is disturbing in so many ways. But my personal favorite is the clanking of the chains on the dead Hammerite priest in the Thief games. You never quite know where he is; he could be around the next corner, in another room or right behind you!

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
"Still Alive": Portal credits song

i'm possibly the most rabid portal fan in existence, but sitting next to someone playing this on repeat without headphones just defies imagination. To play this song in public you need a license, and even then only twice a day, at most.

that said, if used conservatively, its one of the most pleasing experiences to suddenly and unexpectedly hear this off your shuffle'd itunes.

that or the Lvl-up sound from WoW, i haven't played it for almost a year now, but my friend loves to [lay his sound byte of it over the speakers to watch my pulse quicken and my frame twitch. Say what you like about its detrimantal effects, i loved WoW and no player ever truly lets go, i know a few other guys who quit at the same time (major exams going into year 12) and we all agree, its never truly beaten, one exp is one exp too far...

i still have WoW dreams... (you know of what i speak, fellow WoW'ers)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The sound of your sniper bullet smashing through an enemy head, specificaly in CoD4. Damn, i love that sound!

Ah yes, and someone yelling "Planting claymore!" or "Grenada!!" or even "Oy suzie!"

mitsoxfan

Feb 12, 2008
The sound of a Bullet Bill off in the distance?

Radio Static in Silent Hill?

The 'beep beep' of Link's low health?

Oh, and the sound of EA slowly eating the video gaming world.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
The Soft ding of an unlocked achevment on 360. "Its been 2 heart beats and I never got my points, NOOOOOOOOOO- ..... oh Yay".