Ilomilo is So Cute You'll Vomit a Rainbow

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Ilomilo is So Cute You'll Vomit a Rainbow

Projectile vomiting isn't typically fun, unless it's induced by a really cute XBLA game.

Swedish developer Southend Interactive announced this week that its new puzzle game ilomilo will be coming exclusively to Xbox Live Arcade. While the release of another XBLA title might not sound like something to jump around and scream about, ilomilo happens to be the most charming-looking title I've seen since LittleBigPlanet.

The game's visuals have a strong stylistic resemblance to LBP, but ilomilo is not a platformer. The object of the game is to reunite characters ilo and milo by controlling the both of them on a fully 3D level made of cubes. Players will rotate each level (and the characters upon it), pick up and replace cubes to form walkways, send cubes off for the other character to use, and more. When reunited, ilo and milo do a twirly dance, which happens to be what I do every time I meet friends as well. Perhaps this is why I don't have friends anymore, but I just gotta be me.

Ilomilo is so adorable I want to die and go to hell. Giant fishdogs and winged eels fly around, whimsical woodwind music plays, and the backgrounds have a storybook design. Watching the trailer makes me feel like a kid and makes me want to do kid things: lick a giant lolly, play in the sandbox, and go to the bathroom in my pants. I can't imagine what I'll do when I get my hands on the game.

But enough about me, other features of ilomilo include a sensible two-player mode for co-op play, leaderboards for speedy completion times, an unlockable mini-game called ilomilo shuffle, and "famous" characters from other games hidden throughout the world. Because ilomilo is being released by Microsoft Game Studios, I'm guessing these characters could include those under the MGS banner. The surreal puzzle game will presumably hit XBLA sometime this year.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
That's pretty damn cute. Like if LittleBigPlanet and Echochrome had a bastard love child and named it elmo.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
*projectile vomits*

Wow! Look at the colours!

This game does look very cute though. Maybe it's a little unfair of me to judge from 70 seconds of gameplay but it also looks very easy. Maybe it will be a lot more puzzly and complicated than I envision it here. That aside for a xbox live arcade game it looks beautiful. I'll keep an eye on this one.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I wonder if I could sue The Escapist for exposing me to an overdose of cute. I'm suffering from acute cuteness poisoning because of you people! D:

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
D'AWWWWWW!!!

I will get it and all the collectors items they can possibly make, i love the backgrounds, so full of life and happiness and...

D'AWWWWWW!!!

They did a little dance! so cute!

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Awwwwwwwwwww <3

That is indeed retardedly adorable. It looks pretty fun, too. I'll have to check it out.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
That is one of the cutest games I've ever witnessed. If I don't at least check it out, I'll severely regret it.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Am I the only one being reminded of Kula World because of that video?
Seriously, it can't just be me.

Pm0n3y

An emaciated shadow
Jul 29, 2009
*looks at vid*

Oh my G...G..Go-[font color="red"]B[font color="orange"]L[font color="yellow"]A[font color="green"]R[font color="blue"]G[font color="purple"]H[font color=violet]!!![/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

Crap, now I need a mop.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Projectile vomiting isn't typically fun, unless it's induced by a really cute XBLA game.
<a href=http://www.kongregate.com/games/2DArray/spewer>I beg to differ.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
0:33 OMG it's flying Hitler!!

The game does look very charming though. Amazing how much of an impact LBP has had. Nice design.