I'm a huge RPG fan but I have run out of games, could you help please?

HBMK

Dec 4, 2013
I love any RPG, though I prefer medieval settings. Current systems: Xbox 360, PS2, PS3, PSP, DS (not the 3D one), SNES, Sega Mega Drive, Wii, Mac (I know I know, I'm getting a gaming PC next year), PS4, iPad.

Majinash

May 27, 2014
Do you mind older games? If not I reccomend Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions for your PSP. Medieval setting, great story and tons of replayability.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
The Legend og Heroes trilogy for the psp is great but not very well known. The first one consists of A Tear of Vermillion, Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch and finally Song of the Ocean.

It's more fantasy than strictly"medieval" but the fighting is done with medieval western weaponry and magic and stuff. There's also the newer Trails in the sky trilogy which due to how much text it has took a while to translate and is still being done. The first one should be on steam as well as psp and the second one is heading there soon. The third one will be a while though so I'd start with the first trilogy mentioned above.

HBMK

Dec 4, 2013
Majinash said:
Do you mind older games? If not I reccomend Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions for your PSP. Medieval setting, great story and tons of replayability.
Don't mind old games at all. System Shock 2 is one of my favourite games, after all

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Have you played the Etrian Odyssey series? EO 1/2/3 are on the DS, EO 4 and Untold (remake of 1) are on the 3DS.

Also, there's the Fire Emblem series on several Nintendo platforms, my favorite being Sacred Stones on the GBA (assuming you have the DS Phat).

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Try to see if you can get Persona 4 on PS2. My personal favorite RPG of all time. It's a very interesting take on the genre, not focussing on a save-the-world-adventure, but aiming to solve a murder case that somehow involved fantasy powers. You need to have some tolerance for anime shenanigans though, cause there's a lot of that.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well there's Final Fantasy IX, sort of a mix of medieval and steam punk. Fantastic game IMO. Since you have a PS3, you can download it from the PSN.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
If you don't mind shelling out the money, I recommend Skies of Arcadia Legends on the Nintendo GameCube. It's a port containing all the DLC that was for the original Dreamcast title, with some bonus extras. Has a great story, the ship battle combat is fun, and the characters are interesting. Only really big problem is that Skies of Arcadia and Legends have quite a few random battles a lot. The Legends port on the GameCube has fewer, but there are still quite a few to say the least.

The setting itself isn't Medieval, but society is pretty much resetting for the most part after a calamity destroyed most of the land. Basically think like how Wind Waker was, only this was made before Wind Waker.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Neronium said:
...It's a port containing all the DLC that was for the original Dreamcast title...
Wait, the Dreamcast had DLC? O.O

Er, ahem. On topic, as with any thread like this, it is mandatory for me to bring up The Legend of Dragoon, on the PSOne. The setting starts out about as Medieval-looking as it can get, though it does get a little... odd as the game progresses. The fight system might be hit or miss for people, since being able to time button presses for different attacks is pretty much essential.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Get Valkyrie Profile and engrave upon your enemies soul the power of Nibelung Valesti.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
Neronium said:
...It's a port containing all the DLC that was for the original Dreamcast title...
Wait, the Dreamcast had DLC? O.O
You didn't know that? The SEGA Dreamcast was the first home console to have fully functional online capabilities and had the ability to play online. It had DLC for a lot of games, some ranging from add-ons, to some being songs for games like Samba De Amigo.

When SEGA dropped out of the console race, they helped Microsoft on the first Xbox, and originally the Xbox would have been able to read GD-Rom discs, but Microsoft said no. Which is dumb because that would've meant that on launch day the original Xbox would have already had over 700 games... >.>

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
I can heartily recommend the Tales-games. Tales of Xillia is the latest addition to the series, available on PS3. There's also Tales of Symphonia, an HD re-release of a game also available on Gamecube (I'd recommend the PS3 one, it's based on the PS2 japan only release, featuring more skits, cutscenes and other stuff), and lastly there's Tales of Vesperia, available for X360.

The story in the games is not as strong as its combat system though.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Dreiko said:
The Legend of Heroes trilogy for the psp is great but not very well known. The first one consists of A Tear of Vermillion, Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch and finally Song of the Ocean.

It's more fantasy than strictly"medieval" but the fighting is done with medieval western weaponry and magic and stuff. There's also the newer Trails in the sky trilogy which due to how much text it has took a while to translate and is still being done. The first one should be on steam as well as psp and the second one is heading there soon. The third one will be a while though so I'd start with the first trilogy mentioned above.
I've never heard of this before until two days ago, when it should up on Steam! Not sure how the series goes but this one is called 'The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky', regular cost $20 but currently on sale for $17 for the next few days. From what I can tell they're planning on releasing the next one early next year, and depending on how well they sell they'll put the third one up as well.

Since I've never heard of it before this was a rather pleasant surprise for me, as my first thought seeing it on the Steam front page was why the heck are they charging $20 for an RPG Maker game? Love seeing more legit JRPG's on Steam though!

Baddamobs

Aug 21, 2013
Throwing another vote in for FF9: my personal favorite, mainly for how well it handles its characters, and for having a damn near perfect mix of funny moments to absolutely heart breaking moments.

But if you haven't, consider trying Dark Souls/Demon Souls. You'll hear a lot of different opinions about which you should go for first, but to point it simply from my perspective:

- Demon Souls: A little less refined on the mechanics, but a gem for story and atmosphere, and has some of the coolest bosses.
- Dark Souls: FANTASTIC atmosphere and story, without needing a character so much as talk to you, but it's pretty difficult to get into initially, and many have said you'll need to consult the wiki to get the most of it.
- Dark Souls 2: The best for mechanics, and is by far the most accessible to newcomers. However, imagination for the bosses and areas, barring a few standouts, is weakest here (and you'll need to play DS 1 to get some of the jokes/themes).

Or you could wait and get Blood Borne, and tell me what you think... (*I can't afford a PS4* *awkward cough*)

For PSP, I tentatively recommend Tales of Eternia. I remember it being pretty good, but I also was kind of an idiot as a kid, so ehh, I can't remember it too clearly.

Anyway, there's a lot of good calls in this thread, so have a look around, and see what you can find out etc., and happy gaming d^_^b

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Depending on what model of DS you have, there's some good ones on GBA.
I like Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced, and I've heard good things about Golden Sun.
If you want to get into the really quirky stuff, I recommend Boktai.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
The Ys series is worth looking into. Ys I & II both use a sort of "bump combat" where you ram into enemies instead of using an attack button, so they're kind of fast-paced Action/RPGs. After that is Ys III (which has a remake named Oath at Felghana). The series has seen a number of remakes and ports over the years (it originated on an old console you've likely never heard of back in the late 80's; I don't even remember its name), but you can get the most recent versions (including Ys Origins) on Steam.

On that note, the same team just released their latest RPG, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It's new and I haven't bought it yet, so I can't personally vouch for it, but it's definitely a game you can't have played yet (unless you absolutely powered through it).

Spiritmaster

Dec 4, 2012
romanator0 said:
Have you played Divinity: Original Sin? If not I highly recommend Divinity: Original Sin.
How intense are the system reqs. for that game? I've been looking at it for a while, but am on a lightweight rig (for now).