I'm a huge RPG fan but I have run out of games, could you help please?

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Tales of Vesperia for Xbox 360, the Dragon Age series if you haven't already played it. Chrono Trigger for DS if you've never played that before.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Spiritmaster said:
romanator0 said:
Have you played Divinity: Original Sin? If not I highly recommend Divinity: Original Sin.
How intense are the system reqs. for that game? I've been looking at it for a while, but am on a lightweight rig (for now).
I've been playing on a decent/middle-class rig with a weaker processor, and while it can stutter a bit in town where there are tons of NPC's shouting at each other, it usually runs pretty well.

The combat is also turn-based, which helps significantly for people who might be pushing it.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Souplex said:
Depending on what model of DS you have, there's some good ones on GBA.
I like Final Fantasy Tactics: Advanced, and I've heard good things about Golden Sun.
If you want to get into the really quirky stuff, I recommend Boktai.
I'll second Golden Sun, it may be hard to trak down the cartridges, but they will be worth it. One of my favorite rpg franchises. There is one on DS that is good, but the first two are much better.

I would also recommend Fire Emblem, my favorite would be the newest one on 3DS, though I know you don't have one. So I would recommend tracking down the GBA games since they were also pretty awesome. They are basically strategy rpgs with a medieval theme.

Raine_sage

Sep 13, 2011
I'd check out Paper Mario and Paper Mario: Thousand year Door for two solid light hearted rpgs with just really fun and quirky worlds.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
WhiteTigerShiro said:
The Ys series is worth looking into. Ys I & II both use a sort of "bump combat" where you ram into enemies instead of using an attack button, so they're kind of fast-paced Action/RPGs. After that is Ys III (which has a remake named Oath at Felghana). The series has seen a number of remakes and ports over the years (it originated on an old console you've likely never heard of back in the late 80's; I don't even remember its name), but you can get the most recent versions (including Ys Origins) on Steam.

On that note, the same team just released their latest RPG, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. It's new and I haven't bought it yet, so I can't personally vouch for it, but it's definitely a game you can't have played yet (unless you absolutely powered through it).
This, very much so. While you will miss out on one game because it's only on the Vita, the games are great. The stories are simple but good, and the combat is fun. Ys Seven is my favorite so far, with an awesome track, story is good, and the characters are nice, and it was the only one made for the PSP specifically. As far as Legend of Heroes, it is great. It has been out for a while for the PSP, so many of us have played it. It's more story based than Ys, but it has a great story, great cast, the combat is pretty good, and once you beat it, you will be craving for the second game to be released.

Another good one to try would be Valkyria Chronicles, which is a game where you choose a character, and go into a 3D setting to move your unit around to take down enemies using various guns and tanks.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
Spiritmaster said:
romanator0 said:
Have you played Divinity: Original Sin? If not I highly recommend Divinity: Original Sin.
How intense are the system reqs. for that game? I've been looking at it for a while, but am on a lightweight rig (for now).
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

This should help you figure that question out. I'm playing on a computer that I had built in 2010 and it can run the game fairly well with most of the options on high but it does have some minor frame drops pretty frequently. The game is isometric so lowering the graphics shouldn't make the game look like complete ass if that's necessary.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
If you haven't played the Persona series, you need to fix that. Like, immediately.

Most people will tell you to start with some version of Persona 4... and those people are correct.

If you've played Persona 4, then play 3. And if you've played 3, then play 2. I think you can see where I'm going from here.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
The game I am going to suggest is from 2007, and is available on Steam. So you don't need THAT powerful a computer to run it, but if you like medieval RPGs you should definitely check out Mount & Blade Warband

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Another one you should really get it Recettear An Item Shop's Tale. You play as Recette, who's father left who left who with a shop that is in massive debt. You have to balance out looting dungeons, buying/synthesizing items, and selling items in your shop, which you have to haggle the prices. Every week, the amount that has to be paid increases, till you pay it all off, and then you are free to do what you want. I heard there is some other stuff that will happen if you keep playing long enough, but I haven't gotten to that point. It's a really fun game, and is quite charming. It's available on steam for $20, bit if you wait for a sale, you can get it for about $5.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
I'd recommend practically any of the Nippon Ichi developed games and any of the games that Atlus published - PSX/1 and PS 2; Atlus is known for taking games that are different and getting them out there for the public to consume, hate and grow to cherish.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
RandV80 said:
Dreiko said:
The Legend of Heroes trilogy for the psp is great but not very well known. The first one consists of A Tear of Vermillion, Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch and finally Song of the Ocean.

It's more fantasy than strictly"medieval" but the fighting is done with medieval western weaponry and magic and stuff. There's also the newer Trails in the sky trilogy which due to how much text it has took a while to translate and is still being done. The first one should be on steam as well as psp and the second one is heading there soon. The third one will be a while though so I'd start with the first trilogy mentioned above.
I've never heard of this before until two days ago, when it should up on Steam! Not sure how the series goes but this one is called 'The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky', regular cost $20 but currently on sale for $17 for the next few days. From what I can tell they're planning on releasing the next one early next year, and depending on how well they sell they'll put the third one up as well.

Since I've never heard of it before this was a rather pleasant surprise for me, as my first thought seeing it on the Steam front page was why the heck are they charging $20 for an RPG Maker game? Love seeing more legit JRPG's on Steam though!

Eiyuu Densetsu (legend of heroes) is a mainstay of Jrpgs in Japan since the mid 80s. It's abhorrent how little it's know over here. It might look low quality but it's anything but. There's so much text to translate in these games that they simply didn't bother bringing them. The trails series came out in like 2007 , japan already has the next trilogy after this one and we're still stuck translating the second game of the first Trails trilogy. It's disgraceful. This is why people complain Jrpgs suck nowadays. No mofos translate the good ones cause they're lazy or greedy and a small company like Xseed has to slave over just one game for like 4 years to get it done. They couldn't even allocate their main force to the job cause of this climate we have. It sucks lol.

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
The Witcher games are pretty good. It has a much darker tone then a traditional rpgs.

Another one I found to be great was Valkyria Chronicles. First one came out for ps3. The 2nd and 3rd came out for PSP.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Ar Tonelico [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ar_tonelico:_Melody_of_Elemia] is a good, little known game on the PS2. The combat is a bit different(and turn based), the magic is a lot different, and the music... Well, listen for yourself(but don't read the comments):

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
Aside from the many great suggestions already made, may I add the Disgaea series? A set of SLG RPGs that ran on the PS2 and PS3 with excellent (if somewhat challenging at times) gameplay and an irreverent sense of humor. Disgaea 3 and 4 are standalone titles playable on the PS3 if that is your preferred console.

From the Indies try Cthulhu Saves the World where our favourite eldritch abomination attempts to become a true hero for selfish reasons, second Racettear and throw in Aldorea Games' Millennium series into the mix.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I see people mentioned the excellent Ys series and I feel obliged to mention they're by the same developer that makes Legend of Heroes.

Scars Unseen said:
Ar Tonelico [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ar_tonelico:_Melody_of_Elemia] is a good, little known game on the PS2. The combat is a bit different(and turn based), the magic is a lot different, and the music... Well, listen for yourself(but don't read the comments):

Ar Nosurge hype coming out next month. Can't wait!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Dreiko said:
I see people mentioned the excellent Ys series and I feel obliged to mention they're by the same developer that makes Legend of Heroes.

Scars Unseen said:

Ar Nosurge hype coming out next month. Can't wait!
Shame my PS3 dies on me. Maybe this will be an incentive to buy a new one.

Alexei F. Karamazov

Feb 22, 2014
I'll always suggest Fire Emblem to people. Sacred Stones on GBA is pretty good, as is Path of Radiance for Game Cube. If you've got a 3DS, Awakening is also pretty fantastic, though I'd stay away from the Shadow Dragon remake for the DS.

Also, if you live under a rock and haven't played them already, the Elder Scrolls series is also pretty damn amazing.

And if you've played some Bioware games, I'd also suggest Jade Empire. It's definitely got flaws, but I found it to be a breath of fresh air. It's an RPG that draws heavily from Asian mythologies, and both the world and combat are different from a lot of other RPGs. And if you don't like it (which is totally possible), it's pretty cheap, so not much is lost.

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
I definitely recommend Dark Chronicle or Dark Cloud 2 depending on your area. It's a JRPG but it's not turn based, it's mostly action.

Character customization isn't really present with very minimal ways to effect your characters stats but each character has two different weapons and they have numerous evolution paths. You can break down items and combine them together to add all kinds of elements and abilities to your guns and when they reach a certain point you can evolve them. There is also an invention system and one of the 'characters' you get later can be upgrade with inventions you create.

The entirety of the level up system is within the weapons and personally I find it amazing fun. The game itself plays kind of like new roguelikes, with each level having a basic design depending on the area but they're all randomly generated. Every single time you enter a floor of a dungeon it'll be different and sometimes the floors will have effects.

I don't want to spoil any future abilities and stuff so I won't mention some of the other stuff but it really is an amazing game. One of my absolute favourites ever.

The game is on PS2. The original Dark Cloud is purely a spiritual successor and I personally find it less refined and polished. The second one has everything the first one has in game mechanics but it's been improved on and developed even further.

dasqoot

Mar 27, 2009
Compatriot Block said:
Spiritmaster said:
romanator0 said:
I've been playing on a decent/middle-class rig with a weaker processor, and while it can stutter a bit in town where there are tons of NPC's shouting at each other, it usually runs pretty well.

The combat is also turn-based, which helps significantly for people who might be pushing it.
The patches doubled the FPS on my system (GTS 450, about 4 1/2 years old and definitely lower end when it was released, 2gb ram, winXPsp3 32bit).

Game runs at 1920x1080 all settings high, not maxed, with usually Netflix or youtube running on the second monitor.

The game should pretty much run on a toaster, now that quicksaves are fixed for older systems. When it came out it took me 10 minutes to quicksave.