I'm a PC gamer and I just got a hand me down PS3... what games should I play?

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Chimpzy said:
God of War III
Ratchet & Clank Future series
InFamous 1 and 2
Heavy Rain
3D Dot Game Heroes
Demon's Souls
The Last Of Us
LittleBigPlanet 1 znd 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Journey
Okami HD
Valkyria Chronicles
Resistance 1 and 3

That's off the top of my head. Should tide you over for a good while.
Well, I guess that about covers most of what I was going to say. (Though on a personal note, I didn't really enjoy MGS 4 or Heavy Rain - and I wouldn't recommend 3D Dot Game Heroes to just anyone.)

If you're into guns and RPGs, maybe you should give Resonance of Fate a chance.
It's... different. But very interesting.

Also, if you've never played any PS2 games, it might be a VERY good idea to check out some of the "collections", they have a great 'price versus content'-ratio:

Jak & Daxter Trilogy
Ratchet & Clank Trilogy
Sly Raccoon Trilogy
ICO / Shadow of the Colossus Collection

TimeSplitters Trilogy - oh wait, that one doesn't exist... WHY DOESN'T THAT ONE EXIST?

I also feel like I should recommend WipEout HD Fury. It's a downloadable futuristic racing game, something I normally have no interest in - but damn it, I enjoyed that game way more than I expected!

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
I just got one a year ago, and I've had fun with:
The Uncharted Series (a no brainer)
Last of Us (a must play)
Infamous 1 and 2 (great game)
Red Dead Redemption
Resistance 3 (I played 1 and 2 but 3 was so much better)
Killzone 2 and 3
Heavy Rain
Dragon's Dogma
GTA V

LadyLightning

Jul 11, 2013
EDIT: Wrong thread, lul, multiple windows at once.

Sorry. Um, on topic, I would say Ni No Kuni is adorable :>

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Check out Demon's Souls and Little Big Planet 2. Valkyria Chronicles and Resonance of Fate (original name: End of Eternity) are alright, if you're into RPGs.

EDIT: Your screen name is a Neuromancer reference, yeah? Right on!

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Wintermute said:
I've been playing games on PC for as long as I can remember, but about a week ago my brother tells me that a friend of his doesn't want his PS3 anymore. Because my brother already has a PS3, he asks me if I'd like to have it, complete with every game he owns, for free. The only problem with that "every game he has" part is that just like my brother, the guy bought a PS3 for Gran Turismo 5. So I got a PS3 and GT5. Still, free console, awesome.

Now I'd love to hear some recommendations, because other than GT5 and Uncharted, which I've been wanting to play for years now, I don't really know anything else. Please bear in mind that I'm a PC gamer first, so I'm mainly interested in PS3/console exclusives.

I guess I'm looking for third person shooters/action/adventure/rpgs. But anything goes, really. Maybe I'll even try a FPS with a controller.
This isn't so much a game recommendation, but get just one game that you own already and just feel the difference. I don't mean it in a terrible condescending way, but just feel the difference how you play it, how it responds in your hands.
I've been a pretty elitist PC gamer, I always believed that PC's have the better options but ever since I moved in with my wife I have been using the PS3 in comfort and just wishing I owned X-pc game on it.

I like to think of the two as two separate experiences.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
Valkyria Chronicles and Red Dead Redemption. The first is a pretty good and unique squad tactics game with nice art style and a good story line. The latter is GTA, but Western and with a likable character. Fantastic game.

Honestly, you should probably grab a killzone 2 copy. Play it on hard without hud or crosshairs, pretty satisfying and challenging gameplay.

Those three are my favourites on the console.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
To go a direction that no one else is, I'll say Tokyo Jungle. It is about Japan after the humans all disappear and the whole place is overrun with animals. None of which is important, because in this game you can play a deer and drop-kick a raptor. This is the sort of thing that demands to be tried at least once.

It is also pretty much the only reason I wish I had a PS3.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, the entire God of War series (mostly God of War HD Collection Volume 1 and God of War III (Ascension is cool too), though the PSP games in HD Collection Volume 2 are pretty swell too), inFAMOUS (and 2), Resistance 3 (haven't played the first two, but I loved the third one, played co-op with a friend), Metal Gear Solid (I think you can get the first and fourth one for the PS3, plus the Peace Walker HD Edition, which I do also heartily recommend), Grand Theft Auto V (if you're into GTA, 'cause y'know, it's console exclusive for now).

I'm only including console exclusives, so I'm kind of running out of things to name. There's other standard Sony fare, like LittleBigPlanet, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank etc, but I'm personally not a huge fan of them. Also, if you have a Vita, you need to get Gravity Rush and Persona 4 Golden. I would buy a Vita just for those two games (especially seeing as it's a lot cheaper now than it was when I first bought it).

Aug 1, 2010
[s/]None because it has no gaems[/s]

Resistance 1 is brilliant. I've heard 3 is also good.

If you've never touched the God of War series, pick up the collection. It's the quintessential console hack-n-slasher-button-masher-platforming-QTE series.

If you can stand a tad bit of Mary Sue, the Ratchet and Clank games are like playing a kickass Sci-Fi Pixar movie.

As already mentioned, definitely pick up Infamous 1 and 2. Excellent superpower sandbox games.

Also consider picking up AssCreed 4 since it was [i/]the best game of last year[sub/]notevenjokingsuckit,TLoU[/sub][/i] and it's a far better game with a controller.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I know several people have already mentioned it but Valkyria Chronicles. It's by far one of the best games on the PS3, and unless you personally can't stand the art style or strategy games of any kind, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't play it.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I'd say definitely get Last of Us, Uncharted 2, Infamous 2, and God of war if you like straight up beat em up action games.

Games I'd recommend but arent essential are GTA 5, Uncharted 3, Red Dead Redemption, Heavy Rain Infamous 1 and uncharted 1 is playing the previous games before playing the sequel is a big thing for you, and MGS4 if it isnt.

There are probably a few others that I'm either forgetting, are also on PC, or I haven't played it so I can't recommend it firsthand.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Off the top of my head:

Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us
Uncharted series
Ratchet & Clank HD re-release and the rest of series
Jak & Daxter (although these games are from the dark and unforgiving age of platformers. You will get your butt handed to you if you're not acustomed to this kind of games)
Kingdom Hearts HD
Final Fantasy X, X-2 HD
Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
The God of War games
Red Dead Redemption
Infamous 1&2
Uncharted 1-3
The Last of Us
Any of the Assasins Creed Games
Little Big Planet 1&2

These are some of the big ones. Now with that said what sort of games do you like on PC?

Warlokk

Jun 10, 2010
I'm a die-hard PC gamer, I bought my PS3 years ago for Rock Band and blu-ray movies when they were new. Pretty much the only things I really played on it that I'd recommend are Red Dead Redemption and the RB series, if it's still available. Everything else decent is also available and better on PC. Demon's Souls was great but I enjoy Dark Souls a lot more, and I have that on both PS3 and PC.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm kind of in the same situation.

I ended up getting the following and I'm sure I'll add a few more.

ICO/Shadow of the Colussus Collection- Two excellant, unique games that inspired a lot of games that came after.

Uncharted 1 and 2- The first was merely okay, but I'm rather enjoying the second one due to the gameplay being a lot more fun. Drake might get on your nerves, however.

Silent Hill 1 and 2-Haven't played yet.

God of War Collection(1-3).

Skeggers

Mar 1, 2012
I couldn't recommend WipEout HD enough - the only reason I still go back to my PS3 every once in a while. Absolutely flawless and beautiful high speed racing. The survival based Zones mode which speeds up the longer you last adds near infinite replay value, too.

[youtube]watch?v=upII1zhyPrs[/youtube]

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Skeggers said:
I couldn't recommend WipEout HD enough - the only reason I still go back to my PS3 every once in a while. Absolutely flawless and beautiful high speed racing. The survival based Zones mode which speeds up the longer you last adds near infinite replay value, too.

I fixed your Youtube embed for you.

OT: I would chime in on Valkyria Chronicles. One of the greatest strategy RPGs I have played. I loved the artstyle, the combat, the challenges. Just a pleasant game to play.

I bought a PS3 last year for Tales of Graces F and I have to recommend that if you like JRPGs. Then there's the upcoming Tales of Symphonia Chronicles which is two great games in one.

I am enjoying Resonance of Fate right now, but it's not for everyone.

Get a PSN+ subscription and you'll get an influx of new games coming in each month. There have been some great experiences form those games so far for me at least. Those are often the games you don't feel like buying, but end up loving.

However as a fellow PC gamer I would recommend that you try to stay away from shooters until the controller is familiar. Shooters on consoles are bad enough when you do know your controller when you're using to aiming with a mouse.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Demon's Souls.

You can pretty much skip all the other exclusives and never feel like you've missed out on something in your gaming career.

If you really insist, I'd say Little Big Planet.

I would avoid Uncharted and Infamous like the plague. They are really very mediocre (at best) games that get a lot of free love because of their exclusive status. Resistance I can't comment on as I didn't play them, but I did hear one of them was actually quite good. I tried Killzone 2 and wanted to stab my eyes out from a mixture of boredom and horrible controls.

Someone here did say Okami HD. I wasn't aware it was available here, but if you have never played Okami... play it. Fantastic game.

As far as The Last of Us goes, I can't say. I've heard that the gameplay itself is very bland. Most people like it for the characters and stories, but I am so burned out on post-apocalyptic/zombie depression fests, that I can't bring myself to care.

Oh, and Heavy Rain is one of the worst "games" (emphasis on the quotations) in a generation. No one should ever agree to fund David Cage's crap.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
The complete Mass Effect Trilogy is available for it now, so get on that. Stupid ending or no, it's one of the best franchises of the last console generation.

Uncharted: pick one. Maybe two. The stories aren't really interconnected, but they're all excellent games.

God of War: These three ARE interconnected, story-wise, but it gets pretty wonky after the first one. Either way, if you like slaughtering dozens upon dozens of soldiers, mythological monsters, and the occasional greco-roman deity, you want this.

Pick your favorite sports franchise, (I'm partial to Fight Night, myself) pick up the last one to come out for that gen, and you're set for a good few months of solid gaming. (None of which relies on online MP, btw.)

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
As I seek a PlayStation 3 soon (well it's cheaper than the Wii U, I'm still deciding between them), I like this thread.

Alma Mare said:
The lack of Bayonetta and Vanquish in this thread saddens me :(
On the PlayStation 3 Bayonetta is considered significantly 'worse' than it's 360 counterpart. I don't know the reasons why but it's just the consensus I've seen.