I'm actually kind of scared to post here, on account of all the bans.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Honestly not that i try to be controversial when i post but they're somewhat lenient in what they catch. you should be fine and if not, you get some strikes before youre gone for good.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
It's pretty easy...

Don't be a jerk and don't make low content posts. If you are going to answer a question simply with yes, elaborate on why. Same goes with anything that could warrant a one word response. Elaborate on why you chose your answer. You generally want to have a sentence or two at least.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
I have my own beefs with some of the moderation around here(like how people can be obviously insulting but get around it by also being vague as to exactly who they're directing it at, and how the Escapist contributors get away with saying far worse stuff than what we get punished for), but it's really not *that* bad.

Just bear in mind that simply being a jerk here will not alone get you warned or banned. Being really blatant about it will.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I dunno, I think the mods do a grand job to be fair. Rules are rules and if you break them, you get punished. There's room for slip-ups and improving/learning from them (warnings) I think people who get suspended or banned know they're being assholes and deserved it.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
anthony87 said:
Signa said:
I've decided to just say my piece and then get out. If people quote me looking for a fight, I just let it slide. I got quoted 5 times for something I said in a thread recently, and each was trying to throw the gauntlet down. I actually for the first time ever, put some one on my ignore list after that.
What thread was this? Sounds kind of interesting.
Global warming. My post stated why I'm a skeptic, and nothing else, and I got quoted several times trying to convince me with their evidence. Nothing about it was new info to me, so I felt like it was them disagreeing and shoving their opinion down my throat, instead of being a discussion. Only one of the posters actually sounded worth responding to, because they didn't use quarrelsome language.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I'm not completely sure. I see people get banned, but honestly, I'm not very "social" on this site (possibly because I'm kinda a grumpy git so nobody likes me) so I'm not too sure of the specifics of many of these incidents, and don't tend to care enough to find out.

Also, I'm pretty sure "Red Guard" refers to the elder scrolls race. Or at least, that's what I always assumed...I highly doubt it's to do with the secret police type shenanigans you mentioned.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Anoni Mus said:
But how can I correct people's ignorance without sounding like an asshole?
Same way you avoid being moderated in a debate... attack the idea, not the person.

Case in point: "Fucking idiotic" is a very insulting term that I've actually used a number of times in posts on this forum, just not in reference to other users... generally in reference to actions that are the subject of a given thread. It's really quite easy if you treat the whole affair as impersonal.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I wouldn't be afraid to post, OP. The Mods are real people, so they'll understand if you feel you've been wronged. Just don't go out of your way to insult someone and post more than just an image or a five word answer and you'll be fine. I mean, I often take part in feminism threads, and I've yet to have any trouble so far. You're allowed to have an opinion after all.

You have to really go out of your way to get any sort of issue. For instance, on another forum one user necro'd a five year old thread (five!) just to say, "I dunno, lol." I could not facepalm hard enough. So, just don't do that, be nice, and post away!

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
PoolCleaningRobot said:
If only to prove your theory right, while I would like some sort of feedback to find out whether or not people liked or agreed with my posts, I've heard that other forums have a problem with users clogging up threads by quoting one person's post just to say "^this" and that would be annoying for anyone browsing a thread and wants to gauge other people's opinions only to find half the thread is ^this. The only other alternative I could see would be an upvote/downvote system but then every debate would just turn into a battle of karma and it would discourage people from posting if they thought they were going to get bombed by downvotes

I do totally agree though. Sometimes I look at that yellow quote message with regret cause I may have posted something flame worthy recently and its rare that people reply to say "hey that's pretty true and I think..."
I might have sounded like I was complaining more than I was. I do think that the system on this forum works, but I do realise that there are some unfortunate side effects. Such as the "don't be a dick policy" forcing people to be passive-aggressive rather than outright aggressive. Which can, sometimes, be just as insulting. Along with my theory that the low content rule encourages people to disagree, because it's easier to write a post about how someone is wrong. Although I could be wrong on that one. There's a very good chance that I just notice it when people disagree more.

Anyway, both of those side effects can be intimidating for beginner posters. Especially when everyone seems to know each other. And some people have like 20,000 posts.

But I can't think of any real solution that wouldn't have worse consequences. Like your problems with people spamming "^This" if we removed the low content rule, or the downvote war if we adopted a karma system. And heaven forbid we remove the "don't be a dick" rule.
That said, the destructoid forums have an up/downvote system, and they seem to be fairly friendly. There is still the whole "Quick! Downvote him!" every time someone pops up with an unpopular opinion though. Even if they're actually being reasonable about it. So I dunno. At the very least, I have absolute respect for the mods. They're super nice people.

I still don't like that banned .gif though. It seems like a kick in the teeth, especially if it's someone who has racked up >2000 posts. Like Vault101. I actually didn't appreciate her contribution to the forums; I thought she was rather loud and rude at times, but a lot of people did appreciate her. I think it's a bit unnecessary to give her the permabanned avatar, because she had a lot of friends. But what are you gonna do?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Voulan said:
The Mods are real people, so they'll understand if you feel you've been wronged.
Actually, you don't have any sort of interaction with a mod post-warning/suspension whether you appeal or not. Any and all appeals go to Escapist staff.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
In truth I am occasionally concerned when I look back at my old threads and see over half the posters banned, but I myself have a perfect record, as do my friends. Just don't be offensive. If you're passionate about a topic, outline your beef in an organized manner instead of a cluster bomb of swears or innuendo. We could use guidelines like this for RL.

The bigger question on my mind now is what show/film they got that footage for the 'PERMABANNED' animation for.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
WhiteFangofWar said:
The bigger question on my mind now is what show/film they got that footage for the 'PERMABANNED' animation for.
21 Jump Street (the show). Not sure which episode/season, though. Edit: Googling suggests it's from the pilot, although I can't personally confirm that.

OT: Read and follow the rules and you'll be fine. The vast majority of the site is nowhere close to a ban.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
it's pretty bad. i turned on the mods once, and got smacked around a little. i still resent them as a whole, but if you learn how to play by their rules, you'll eventually succumb to stockholm syndrome and living here peacefully will become second nature.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
I've honestly never been scared of being banned. It could just be because I'm a naturally respectful human who doesn't like rock the boat? I usually post my opinions, most of which aren't extreme or over the top.

The forums are well moderated, and I think community is better for it.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Hehe, I got all my warnings and then put on probation for low-content posts and insulting other members I didn't think highly of MANY YEARS AGO, but I managed to avoid suspension for good behaviour. A few months later, I got put back on probation again for making a single low-content post, so I avoided low-content posts like the plague for 3 more months until my probation cleared again.

Then a few weeks later I made one low content post by accident, out of the tens of comments I'd made that week, and BAM, back on probation. Since then I haven't posted much at all on this site.

I understand the strictness in moderation and the level of rules this sites' forum imposes, in fact I support them. What I don't understand is the severity of the punishments/warnings. 3 months probation, putting me at risk of suspension/ban, all for offing a few words as food-for-thought?

It would be much more reasonable if you could lose those stacked warnings after a period of time for good behaviour, because currently I could get KO'd for 1 low content post, all because of a grudge this site holds against me from when I was a teenager.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
sretsoorder said:
I notice you guys are banning an awful lot of people.
I am a dick. That's not something I'm proud of, or that I aspire to be, but I am very strident when I think I'm right or when I think someone else is wrong. If you look through my post history, you'll see that most of my contributions to this community are fights; yet despite that, I have a perfect record. I've never been suspended or even warned.

As best I can figure, this is because I never call anyone names. That seems to be it. There are a few other things I do right, but never with as unfailingly as I avoid calling people names. I attack a person's arguments rather than the person, so the mods think I'm okay to have around.

You're not alone in being troubled by some of the rules here, though. For instance, I think the rules as written actively discourage politeness in public conversation. By creating a rule that says all posts must contribute to the conversation, it's apparently an offense to compliment someone on a well-done post by saying "I agree" or "thank you for putting it so well" unless you also add something someone can build off of...and most of what gets built around here is arguments, so yeah. I end up paying compliments only by private message, because the risk of being punished for saying, "Yeah, this guy gets it," is unacceptable to me.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
This forum has rules for the collective benefit of the forum.

You are welcome to post on this forum, so long as you follow the rules (for reason: see first sentence).

Quick tips:

Is the tone (read: aggressiveness, offensiveness, etc) of your writing similar to how you'd speak to the person you're talking to face to face? If not, try and bring it in line. If your face to face attitude is an offensive/aggressive one. Tone the attitude down a bit.

Is the content of your post likely to get you punched in the face should you have said it in real life? If so, do you mind getting punched in the face for the sake of your opinions? If not, dial it back.

Honestly, I've followed the above code in my mind, and I've stayed clean.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
I think it needs to be strict and this is coming from someone 2 more hits from the hammer away from a Permaban. But agree with the people who think the recovery time should be shorter, 6 months is a bit much.

The mods are usually fair with what they do, but the occasional BS judgement coupled with 6 months recovery just pushes it over the line I think. If we could change it to 3-4 months instead of 6 and maybe require 2 mods to rule on a post, instead just one mod doing it at their sole discretion, I reckon that'd be brilliant.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Caiphus said:
I might have sounded like I was complaining more than I was. I do think that the system on this forum works, but I do realise that there are some unfortunate side effects. Such as the "don't be a dick policy" forcing people to be passive-aggressive rather than outright aggressive. Which can, sometimes, be just as insulting. Along with my theory that the low content rule encourages people to disagree, because it's easier to write a post about how someone is wrong. Although I could be wrong on that one. There's a very good chance that I just notice it when people disagree more.

Anyway, both of those side effects can be intimidating for beginner posters. Especially when everyone seems to know each other. And some people have like 20,000 posts.

But I can't think of any real solution that wouldn't have worse consequences. Like your problems with people spamming "^This" if we removed the low content rule, or the downvote war if we adopted a karma system. And heaven forbid we remove the "don't be a dick" rule.
That said, the destructoid forums have an up/downvote system, and they seem to be fairly friendly. There is still the whole "Quick! Downvote him!" every time someone pops up with an unpopular opinion though. Even if they're actually being reasonable about it. So I dunno. At the very least, I have absolute respect for the mods. They're super nice people.
I just wanted to reply to say I agree :)
I still don't like that banned .gif though. It seems like a kick in the teeth, especially if it's someone who has racked up >2000 posts. Like Vault101. I actually didn't appreciate her contribution to the forums; I thought she was rather loud and rude at times, but a lot of people did appreciate her. I think it's a bit unnecessary to give her the permabanned avatar, because she had a lot of friends. But what are you gonna do?
It does seem pretty ironic when you point it out. You can get banned for acting immature and yet we give them that permabaned avatar sort of like saying "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out". It is satisfying to see on an extremely ban-worthy post though. Though I never really noticed Vault101's posts so I never understood all the hubub when she was banned just that people didn't like it