I'M AN ADUUUUUUUUUUUUULT!

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
well, i've moved out of my parents home and have my first appartment when i was 16. i guess it's the first time i really felt adult...

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Well let's see here:

I cash in my checks all by myself.

I have my own debit card.

I have a minimum wage job that includes tips.

I've taken up a driver's ed online course.

All that, and I'm only 22! :D

:/

Yeah, I'm sorta both a late bloomer and a slacker.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I always felt like a teenager in adults body for a long time, however the big realization probably came when i moved to live to another city and basically started to deal with all the damn bureaucracy.

C14N said:
Shopping in a supermarket by myself.

Funnily enough, the bank thing wasn't really one for me because I've had a bank account as long as I can remember and I got a card when I was about 13 with the help of my parents.
So you had a bank account since 13, but shopping in a supermarket made you feel adult?

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
Well, let's see ... I'll be 44 next month, I've been married over 22 years. I have two kids?one of whom is about to have her 21st birthday.

Yet, I still feel like I'm just playing at being an adult sometimes. I guess that subconscious detachment is never going away, if it hasn't by now.

Someone want to explain that?

Weird.

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
I realized I was an adult when my little cousin checked in with me to show that she finished her homework and when some kid in grade school told me "Thank You Mister" when I gave him back his ball.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I sometimes stop what I'm doing and look around my house and go "... Oh. When did I become a grown up?" And then I realise I don't like it at all, I don't want to be grown up yet. I'm only 30, I'm not ready for it yet. Even though I have a house and car and job and all that jazz.

And then I go back to playing my video games and cuddling my kitty and eating hot pockets and I'm good again.

Also, why am I getting Captcha in different languages? I have no idea what to enter into them, so I just blunder through.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
This thread is appropriate again.

I just took my first foray into home redecoration - repainting one of our hall cupboards.

Of course I took the opportunity to paint a giant cock and balls on the wall.

Billy D Williams

Jul 8, 2013
Dirty Hipsters said:
Colour Scientist said:
I still don't feel like an adult even though I haven't lived at home for 5 years.
I feel like an imposter.
I don't think anyone ever truly feels like an adult. We're all bumbling through life pretending like we know what we're doing and hoping that no one catches on.
I think that a lot of people who do feel like adults are actually just children who have had a few donzen birthdays.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
That time that a crazy pink-haired woman ran me over with a Vespa and then hit me in the head with a bass guitar, causing robots to periodically spring out of my head.

Stormwarning2872

Nov 8, 2013
I was skipping through the meadow of life, with not a care in the world, married, with a daughter, mortgage, the lot. Then my dad died when I was 26 and I, as the oldest child, had to step up and sort everything out. That was the first time "adulthood" slapped me in the face. However, once the initial shock/grief subsided I found myself back doing things I really enjoy. I'm 48 and having a great time; I might have grown up, but I refuse to grow old. (Sorry if all that was a bit mawkish and sentimental)

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Buying alcohol was pretty cool. Also the overall sense of being able to buy cigarettes, alcohol, drive, go to adult gaol and get a criminal record were big. I'm an adult, I have responsibilities, I can buy all the jelly I want without being told no.

There is a downside though, no jumping castles for me :(

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I know i'm a little bit younger here on the escapist, but I turn eighteen in like, three months, but I have to stay getting a drivers license and my own car, whom I named Tori.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Got my first job early 2012, saved up roughly two grand, and successfully flew out to New Jersey in June / July 2012 to go to BronyCon after months of planning and preparation. I even managed to score an interview with a writer from the show for nothing more than my Youtube channel! It was my first job, interview, trip on a plane, solo trip across the country, and biggest single endeavor that I've ever put my mind to all in one.

If there was ever a time that I felt like an adult, it has to be then.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Ooh, forgot about going grocery shopping for myself and the boyfriend for the first time.

Does it still count if I wanted to ride the cart throughout the store?