I'm an ex-brony. No, this is not just another Pony thread. Okay, it is, kinda...

LordFish

May 29, 2012
I dislike Star Wars, but I get it. I don't care for Game of Thrones, but I get it. My Little Pony, sadly I don't get it. I'd like to, but as an adult(ish) man, I really can't entertain the thought of me watching something like that...

I don't even-

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
Melon Hunter said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Scarim Coral said:
Dude you're not the only one, no not me but Caramel Frappe was the first to lose interest toward the shows (as far as I know) and yet he didn't make a thread about losing his interest (well he mention it in a thread but the thread wasn't about that).
No Caramel didn't lose interest in the show, he actually watched all of season 2 and will probably watch season 3 when it's out. He still has an MLP avatar. He just doesn't consider himself a brony, which in my eyes is like a person going to a fancy dress party, eating the food and drinking the drinks yet not wanting to dress up because it might make them "look bad".
I have to admit, that attitude of his is starting to annoy me a bit. Someone who makes GIF avatars of the show's characters and watches the show is sufficiently invested in the community to be a brony, in my eyes. But he refuses that moniker so he can feel morally superior and keep banging on about how terrible the brony community is because of some puritanical morons treating R34 artists badly. Whatever happened to not judging a group by the vocal minority?

OT: Also, dude, for the love of all that is holy, hit that play button. You will not be disappointed. Don't let other people's opinions keep you from enjoying what you do.
Yeah, I didn't give up on the brony community when I saw that fucking Lyra plushie (fucking in a literal sense), neither did I when I saw that dickwad who never got the holocaust until some other tard added ponies into it. Because those are... THREE PEOPLE, the entire Tiarawhy debacle was the fault of TWO people, the brony community at large had no say in it.
If anything, that plushie strengthened my faith in the community. We could have had a bunch of the puritans screeching "Oh noes! It must be banned, because people may think we're weird because of it! Everything is ruined FOREVER!" and instead everyone just royally took the piss out of it instead. Brilliant. (Although admittedly, that line comes out of some people's mouths whenever anything even vaguely suggestive ends up on Equestria Daily. Not something to leave the fandom over, but those overly sensitive moral high-grounders really deserve a good slapping)

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
LordFish said:
I dislike Star Wars, but I get it. I don't care for Game of Thrones, but I get it. My Little Pony, sadly I don't get it. I'd like to, but as an adult(ish) man, I really can't entertain the thought of me watching something like that...

I don't even-
Here's all you need to get:
.It's a good show
.It's creator directly made it so that more than just dumb little girls can enjoy it
.It's a show that brings pure childish joy out in some people
.It never really reaches the "Oh my god this is embarrassing" state that so many other kids shows fall into.
.It's got a fanbase that just won't stop making content, hell I know a ton of bronies who are only in it for the fanbase.

Also, watch this video comparing a typical scene from the old MLP, to a typical scene in the new MLP...

LordFish

May 29, 2012
ToastiestZombie said:
The first half of that clip, totally what I expected it to be, the second half made me want to .. maybe.. watch a little bit more, just to be sure I don't like it :p

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
ToastiestZombie said:
Rose and Thorn said:
A brony just means fan right?

Is it like a secret way of saying I am a My Little Pony fan in public without being ridiculed? Other then that I never really got it. It is probably just a fad. Like a secret hand shake for special people that all like the same thing.

Anyway....if you are in the closet about being a pony lover, then I don't know, get over it? Everyone loves the damn things these days.

You either like something or you don't, simple as that. I get laughed on the public train when I am watching anime on my laptop, but I ignore it. It only means I am stronger on the inside them people like that. Don't be ashamed of who you are.
A brony is just someone who watches and enjoy the show, nothing more nothing less. Also, I agree that he shouldn't be in the closet about watching it because it's just a fucking show and he should deal with it. But I don't agree that it's just a fad, Justin Bieber was a fad, Rebecca Black was a fad, Bronies are not just a simple fad. A fad normally goes by in about a year, with everyone of forgotten about it soon after. Yet bronies are still going strong after 2 seasons, and aren't showing any signs of dying out. So yeah, we're not a fad at all. Seeing as we've been around for long, have got more than just people liking it for the irony and have established ourselves as one of the biggest internet communities. You wouldn't say the Escapist forums are a fad? So why would you say bronies are a fad.

Not trying to flame, just getting my opinion across. I personally love being a brony, but I'm perfectly fine with people not liking it. Because well, it's just a bloody show and in the long run it doesn't really matter.
I probably could have used a better word then fad, yeah. I didn't mean it quite like how people look at it. I meant like, it is a fun way to say fan with usuing different words and in the years that term will slowly fade, just as the term Trekkie is fading. Trekkie was a much bigger fan base then Pony is. And a fad can last MUCH longer then a year, a decade sometimes. A fad is usually amoung a certain age group, and as the age group moves on, the younger generation will create new terms and fads.

In other news, I looked up brony and apparently it means BOY fans.
It is the combination of the word Bro and Pony, for males that like a show that is typically for females. No one told me that.

I think words like Trekkie and Brony should be used for obsessed fans. Obsession terms.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
LordFish said:
ToastiestZombie said:
The first half of that clip, totally what I expected it to be, the second half made me want to .. maybe.. watch a little bit more, just to be sure I don't like it :p
Well, I kind of lied tbh. That's not really a "typical" scenes and it does come from one of the most risque episodes of the show. But, a show doesn't really need to be violent and perilous all the time to be good. There are plenty of moments which are equal to that scene that don't involve a bear getting it's neck snapped. Involving one where that same pony in the clip literally tears her two friends down until they are weeping on their knees, basically saying they are both useless pieces of shit that take pride in petty things. There's also another scene where one of the ponies is basically shown to be a schizophrenic, as she changes from the happy and party loving "Pinkie Pie" to her childhood self "Pinkemena Diane Pie" in a second. As she begins talking to herself and contorting her body in increasingly creepy ways.

So yeah... go watch the show, I reckon you'll like it. Bear in mind though, the first few episodes aren't really all that good. Around about episode 8 when they have to stop a fucking giant bear destroying the whole town is when stuff really gets started.

Also, that scene I showed you is actually a lead up to a joke that made me laugh my arse off.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
ToastiestZombie said:
Well I didn't mean I liked it because a bear got brutalised :p Just that it seemed more endearing, more like anime.

I like how sweet anime is a lot of the time, and I had a girlfriend once who 'made' me watch a lot of it, and I didn't hate it. But like all sweet things, too much will make you ill :p

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Melon Hunter said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Scarim Coral said:
Dude you're not the only one, no not me but Caramel Frappe was the first to lose interest toward the shows (as far as I know) and yet he didn't make a thread about losing his interest (well he mention it in a thread but the thread wasn't about that).
No Caramel didn't lose interest in the show, he actually watched all of season 2 and will probably watch season 3 when it's out. He still has an MLP avatar. He just doesn't consider himself a brony, which in my eyes is like a person going to a fancy dress party, eating the food and drinking the drinks yet not wanting to dress up because it might make them "look bad".
I have to admit, that attitude of his is starting to annoy me a bit. Someone who makes GIF avatars of the show's characters and watches the show is sufficiently invested in the community to be a brony, in my eyes. But he refuses that moniker so he can feel morally superior and keep banging on about how terrible the brony community is because of some puritanical morons treating R34 artists badly. Whatever happened to not judging a group by the vocal minority?

OT: Also, dude, for the love of all that is holy, hit that play button. You will not be disappointed. Don't let other people's opinions keep you from enjoying what you do.
I own MLP t-shirts, but I refuse to call myself a "brony". It just sounds so stupid. I'm a fan of the show, I'd rather be called that instead of a "brony". Hell, I'd take "MLP enthusiast". Nothing against the community, I just think the name is stupid.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Rose and Thorn said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Rose and Thorn said:
A brony just means fan right?

Is it like a secret way of saying I am a My Little Pony fan in public without being ridiculed? Other then that I never really got it. It is probably just a fad. Like a secret hand shake for special people that all like the same thing.

Anyway....if you are in the closet about being a pony lover, then I don't know, get over it? Everyone loves the damn things these days.

You either like something or you don't, simple as that. I get laughed on the public train when I am watching anime on my laptop, but I ignore it. It only means I am stronger on the inside them people like that. Don't be ashamed of who you are.
A brony is just someone who watches and enjoy the show, nothing more nothing less. Also, I agree that he shouldn't be in the closet about watching it because it's just a fucking show and he should deal with it. But I don't agree that it's just a fad, Justin Bieber was a fad, Rebecca Black was a fad, Bronies are not just a simple fad. A fad normally goes by in about a year, with everyone of forgotten about it soon after. Yet bronies are still going strong after 2 seasons, and aren't showing any signs of dying out. So yeah, we're not a fad at all. Seeing as we've been around for long, have got more than just people liking it for the irony and have established ourselves as one of the biggest internet communities. You wouldn't say the Escapist forums are a fad? So why would you say bronies are a fad.

Not trying to flame, just getting my opinion across. I personally love being a brony, but I'm perfectly fine with people not liking it. Because well, it's just a bloody show and in the long run it doesn't really matter.
I probably could have used a better word then fad, yeah. I didn't mean it quite like how people look at it. I meant like, it is a fun way to say fan with usuing different words and in the years that term will slowly fade, just as the term Trekkie is fading. Trekkie was a much bigger fan base then Pony is. And a fad can last MUCH longer then a year, a decade sometimes. A fad is usually amoung a certain age group, and as the age group moves on, the younger generation will create new terms and fads.

In other news, I looked up brony and apparently it means BOY fans.
It is the combination of the word Bro and Pony, for males that like a show that is typically for females. No one told me that.

I think words like Trekkie and Brony should be used for obsessed fans. Obsession terms.
There's a lot of discussion surrounding what makes someone a brony or not, but from pretty much anyone who isn't some dick wanting to be morally superior whilst still loving the show it means this "A person who isn't a pre-pubescent child who watches My Little Pony". A brony could be a 20 year old girl, even though some of them like to use the term "Pegasister". But really, you don't have to be obsessed to be a brony.

Also one other thing, I reckon Bronies are actually much bigger than Trekkies ever were. Why? The internet that's why. We don't really have a clue of how many Trekkies there were in their prime. Yet, one of the many brony sites there are recorded 60 million unique IPs visiting their sites, give or take a few million due to IP changing and stuff. But still, that's a lot of people going to just one site. Just think about how many there are who watch the show yet don't tell anyone, or who just don't go on brony websites. It's rather mind boggling if you ask me.

About the word fad, I dunno. A fad to me is something that comes and goes in a few months, at the longest a year and then fades away never to be remembered again. The fact that people still remember Trekkies without being reminded about them by some other source kind of makes them not a fad. And I believe that even years after the show has finished bronies will still be around, making fan stuff and showing the show to their kids. I know I will.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
LordFish said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Well I didn't mean I liked it because a bear got brutalised :p Just that it seemed more endearing, more like anime.

I like how sweet anime is a lot of the time, and I had a girlfriend once who 'made' me watch a lot of it, and I didn't hate it. But like all sweet things, too much will make you ill :p
It's got a lot of anime qualities. I would say it's a mix of classic saturday morning cartoons, anime and disney films. There really isn't many sickly sweet moments in the show. And even if there is, there's a rather badass moment around the corner. For example, one scene has that pony in tears because of the torment she faced when she was younger because she couldn't fly. Next scene, badass 80s montage parody with some pretty cool special effects. The finale of season 2 starts out as a normal parody of the royal wedding, then BAM you've got f'ing swarms of love sucking creatures flying about and multiple fight scenes. So yeah, the show gets the balance of badass and sweet just right.

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Melon Hunter said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Scarim Coral said:

I own MLP t-shirts, but I refuse to call myself a "brony". It just sounds so stupid. I'm a fan of the show, I'd rather be called that instead of a "brony". Hell, I'd take "MLP enthusiast". Nothing against the community, I just think the name is stupid.
Not wanting to call yourself a brony because it sounds dumb is fine. Not wanting to call yourself it because some nasty people also share that moniker and you want to feel superior to them is just petty. That's what gets at me.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Melon Hunter said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Melon Hunter said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Scarim Coral said:

Not wanting to call yourself a brony because it sounds dumb is fine. Not wanting to call yourself it because some nasty people also share that moniker and you want to feel superior to them is just petty. That's what gets at me.
Yeah, if you want to change what you're called because you hate the sound of it then fine. Just don't be a dick and say that you aren't a fan of MLP and therefore in pretty much everyone's eyes, a brony because of some arbitrary reason.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Melon Hunter said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Melon Hunter said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Scarim Coral said:

Ok, sorry. I see the "you are a brony, but won't admit it" thing a lot.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
LordFish said:
I forgot, if you do wish to watch it then go here: http://mlp-fim.com/
The episode with that scene in is Season 2: Episode 3, probably one of the best episodes of the show there's been so far.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
ToastiestZombie said:
The episode with that scene in is Season 2: Episode 3, probably one of the best episodes of the show there's been so far.
Oh go on then, I could use a little bit more colour in my life at the moment :p

I can't believe what stuff being a fully fledged geek involves doing sometimes.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
LordFish said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Oh go on then, I could use a little bit more colour in my life at the moment :p

I can't believe what stuff being a fully fledged geek involves doing sometimes.
Meh, I love being a brony and I love being a geek. There's nothing better than spending hours manually installing hundreds of mods to Fallout: New Vegas then booting it up and playing it to find that nothing has gone wrong. Nothing some random guy on the internet or some douche in real life can ever say will stop me from watching MLP. So yeah, go ahead. Watch the first say, four episodes then come back and tell me what you think. If you don't like it, fine I'm perfectly OK with that.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
ToastiestZombie said:
SHE DIDN'T KILL THE BEAR!

Omg, I feel totally misleaded, you sold me a cartoon on the basis of of pony on bear brutality and now I discover it was all a con! I'm going to sue for damages of some sort, that's what we do in the video games industry isn't it? :p

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
LordFish said:
ToastiestZombie said:
SHE DIDN'T KILL THE BEAR!

Omg, I feel totally misleaded, you sold me a cartoon on the basis of of pony on bear brutality and now I discover it was all a con! I'm going to sue for damages of some sort, that's what we do in the video games industry isn't it? :p
I can tell you're being sarcastic lol. But yeah, there really isn't any "killing" in the show, like pretty much any other kids show. Are you liking it so far though? You sound like you are.

Also, I never said the bear was killed. I merely showed you the scene and told you it lead up to a joke I found funny. So yeah... OBJECTION!

LordFish

May 29, 2012
ToastiestZombie said:
I can tell you're being sarcastic lol. But yeah, there really isn't any "killing" in the show, like pretty much any other kids show. Are you liking it so far though? You sound like you are.

Also, I never said the bear was killed. I merely showed you the scene and told you it lead up to a joke I found funny. So yeah... OBJECTION!
Well I've put the next episode on >.< so I guess thats a good thing. but I'm not totally sold on it. Would definitely love it if it had more adult themes, like peril and stuff. I feel a torchwood style spinoff :p

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
LordFish said:
ToastiestZombie said:

Well I've put the next episode on >.< so I guess thats a good thing. but I'm not totally sold on it. Would definitely love it if it had more adult themes, like peril and stuff. I feel a torchwood style spinoff :p
And that's where fanfiction comes in! If you don't mind reading then goddamn some of the fanfiction out there is bloody brilliant. I'm currently reading through "Fallout: Equestria" a Fallout/MLP crossover of sorts and seriously it's amazing. The show never really has any named adult themes, but they are definetly implied. For example in the episode you just watched, that's some pretty bad OCD being shown. And in my other example, schizophrenia is shown in full force. But yeah, watch the show for the fun of it if you like it enough. And if you want the real meaty stuff go read some fanfiction. Just, don't read Sweet Apple Massacre, just don't.