Im confused about the new God of War?

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Happyninja42 said:
Jute88 said:
Happyninja42 said:
Ezekiel said:
They really should have given it a new protagonist. It's the stupidest thing ever, Kratos taking on the Norse gods after he's killed all the Greek ones. I'm so sick of stories going way beyond where they should have ended.
I'm thinking they're going the route of "Kratos will create the Norse pantheon" storyline, given some of the stuff in that gameplay trailer. Odin is the Norse God of War, Thor is his red headed son, who has an affinity for lightning (which the kid demonstrated with his bow), and Odin is a grizzled old dude with a beard, constantly worried about "what is to come next" ie. Ragnarok.
I was about to come in correct you that Tyr is actually the god of war, but after a quick search he seems to share that title with Odin as well. Strange, I always read of him as the god of death. Oh well, being the founding father of Norse gods would be interesting, though it wouldn't fit Odin's backstory.
The search I did shows Tyr as the god of Law/Justice, not War. Granted, I just wiki'd it, so take that accuracy with a grain of salt. xD
I wiki'd as well and found Tyr listed as the god of war. But honestly, the whole Aesir mythology (hell, any mythology) probably changed hundreds of times while it was still being practiced, so there may have been gods whose roles and duties have switched, combined and even ceased to exist.

What you said sounds interesting. The problem is that I've never played God of War series and I'm not going to start now. I'm just interested in greek and norse mythology =)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Jute88 said:
I wiki'd as well and found Tyr listed as the god of war. But honestly, the whole Aesir mythology (hell, any mythology) probably changed hundreds of times while it was still being practiced, so there may have been gods whose roles and duties have switched, combined and even ceased to exist.
Yeah it's all muddy when it comes to ancient mythology.

Jute88 said:
What you said sounds interesting. The problem is that I've never played God of War series and I'm not going to start now. I'm just interested in greek and norse mythology =)
Any particular reason you won't play them? Because honestly the first GoW game is really good, as a stand alone Greek Tragedy story, it totally holds up. The plot gets less concise when you add in the other games, but I still enjoyed the gameplay. And to this day, I love the opening "tutorial" for GoW 3, which is you killing a fucking god You know most games' tutorials are very small scale stuff, but nope! Not GoW 3!! You start in media rez from GoW 2's ending, and go right into some god-slaying, you know, "to show you the mechanics". Every time I play it, I feel like I'm playing a video game version of Scion, and it's awesome.

but yeah, why don't you want to play the series? I mean, that's fine, I'm just curious, especially if you are a fan of the mythology, the game series is steeped in it. Seems like you would probably find enjoyment simply from that angle.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Happyninja42 said:
Jute88 said:
Yeah it's all muddy when it comes to ancient mythology.
tell me about it. As a kid I read how Afrodite was born from the foam of the sea. Later I found that it was actually Zeus' dad's penis. Dammit greeks, try to keep a count on how many maimed schlongs are supposed to be flying around!

Jute88 said:
Any particular reason you won't play them? Because honestly the first GoW game is really good, as a stand alone Greek Tragedy story, it totally holds up. The plot gets less concise when you add in the other games, but I still enjoyed the gameplay. And to this day, I love the opening "tutorial" for GoW 3, which is you killing a fucking god You know most games' tutorials are very small scale stuff, but nope! Not GoW 3!! You start in media rez from GoW 2's ending, and go right into some god-slaying, you know, "to show you the mechanics". Every time I play it, I feel like I'm playing a video game version of Scion, and it's awesome.

but yeah, why don't you want to play the series? I mean, that's fine, I'm just curious, especially if you are a fan of the mythology, the game series is steeped in it. Seems like you would probably find enjoyment simply from that angle.
Simple, I used to be on Nintendo's camp and God of War was on Playstation, so that's why I couldn't play them. Nowadays I'm more into PC, but I don't think they've been released on PC.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Jute88 said:
Me said:

Simple, I used to be on Nintendo's camp and God of War was on Playstation, so that's why I couldn't play them. Nowadays I'm more into PC, but I don't think they've been released on PC.
Ah, yeah not having the console would be a problem. However PS 3 are pretty cheap these days, so you could pick them up without it being too expensive. Probably not worth buying a console by themselves, but I would say inFamous and inFamous 2 are also good, and worth a look. But yeah, I can appreciate the "I don't have the console and don't want to buy one" rationale. Perfectly understandable. They are fun games in my opinion, the first one being a fun game, and a genuinely good Greek myth story as well. The others are lower in quality, but still fun to play.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
DudeistBelieve said:
I mean I'm glad they're doing the Norse gods and all... but I'd rather skip it and has him take on the Judeo Christian God.
Wasn't that basically the plot of the first Bayonetta? Kicking and shooting your way through Christian mythology to get the The Creator.

bartholen said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Alternatively? I'd also like to see a final conclusion to Kratos. Kinda like Batman, where he finally gets over the death of his wife and child, moves on and is able to find happiness and contentedness in his life.
Thing is, if they'd just left the series after 3 with no more prequels, we'd already have that. I don't know how it was elsewhere, but where I live the back of the box hyped God of War as a greek tragedy. I was totally fine with Kratos spiraling into loss and devastation and finally offing himself. It was a powerful, bitter end to his character. Having him reach some sort of happy ending takes away the tragedy and waters it down to a typical Hollywood redemption story.
Agreements in bold, because just... that. Kratos had a story with prequels and fleshing out and humanisation. They gave him a brother and family and the legacy of his actions in the universe, all culminating in this moment where the bloodlust seems to subside and he looks around at what he's wrought after losing sight of his original goal. So my only question for Sony Santa Monica is: "Why Kratos?"

God of War is the kind of franchise where you get to start again in another universe with another pantheon without people asking questions. I can't help but feel that having a Norse, Hindu, Egyptian or Celtic based installment with a brand new protagonist that actually fits into the mythology would have been a better move. Perhaps culminating in the Gods and Godesses of war tearing each other up.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Happyninja42 said:
Jute88 said:
Ah, yeah not having the console would be a problem. However PS 3 are pretty cheap these days, so you could pick them up without it being too expensive. Probably not worth buying a console by themselves, but I would say inFamous and inFamous 2 are also good, and worth a look. But yeah, I can appreciate the "I don't have the console and don't want to buy one" rationale. Perfectly understandable. They are fun games in my opinion, the first one being a fun game, and a genuinely good Greek myth story as well. The others are lower in quality, but still fun to play.
The problem with getting a Playstation now, is that for years when I was into Nintendo, I sort of mentally adjusted my way of thinking that Playstation is the "weaker console" and Nintedo is better. Nowadays I'm not that big of an N fan anymore, mostly because of Wii and its motion controls, but I still can't bring myself to hop into another console. If it comes to PC someday I could give it a try (Last of Us looks interesting too).

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I don't play the GoW games for the 'story'.
No more than I do the DOOM series.

I play them for the gore-tastic game play and 'ooo, haah, wozerz' graphics, and cool enemies.

As long as they keep those three things.
Fuck it, I'm game.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I just think the Kratos we saw wasn't the Kratos we know and fear. They needed a new protagonist. I'm not a fan of the title of the game either.
I'm sick of people rewriting things, this time it's a characters complete...well, character. And psychological profile.

But nevermind, it's not like I'm going to play it. No Man's Sky and FFXV and then I'm done with modern gaming. I'm just...so tired of it all.