BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
hanselthecaretaker said:
Thanks for the links. I read both articles, and I still don't care about Kratos; so the new God of War does nothing for me. And IGN is definitely blowing smoke, saying they care about Kratos for the first time. That contradicts about almost all of your previous reviews of the game where the reviewers more or less stated they liked Kratos even after he became more of a dick GoW II. Oh IGN, you smug snake, false champions of justice. Never change you hypocritical bitches.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The story is that Kratos has to lure a young boy with false hope and sacrifice him at the end of the game to solve a puzzle.

Scapthat

May 31, 2016
CoCage said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Thanks for the links. I read both articles, and I still don't care about Kratos; so the new God of War does nothing for me. And IGN is definitely blowing smoke, saying they care about Kratos for the first time. That contradicts about almost all of your previous reviews of the game where the reviewers more or less stated they liked Kratos even after he became more of a dick GoW II. Oh IGN, you smug snake, false champions of justice. Never change you hypocritical bitches.

I'd have to check if that particular writer ever reviewed a GoW game. From what I've read most journalists were probably just as if not more tired of Kratos as a character prior to this reveal.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I still don't like how they still use Kratos as the main character. For a character whose progression was a spiral into utter unsympatethicity, this feels like backpedaling. I was totally fine with Kratos being an asshole, by the way, as it's rather unusual for a video game protagonist to turn into a total monster. They could (and IMO should) have made him the main antagonist of the series from GOW3 onwards.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
The depressing fact is unlike Greek mythology there is an End Times for the Norse Gods and try as Kratos might. He is going to fail to stop Ragnarok

mariosonicfan5

Jun 18, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
It's a continuation. That first shot of Kratos stepping out of the shadows shows the scar on his abdomen. So it's the same guy, just older and seemingly set on a quest for redemption.
Lol yeah, he was on a quest for redemption in God of War 3. We all saw how that turned out for everyone involved!

I'm sure we'll still get to see him use Thor's hammer to smash Odin's face in or something.

Zio_IV

Not a Premium Member
Sep 17, 2011
I only played the first God of War and essentially read the cliff notes for the other games, so I feel like I'm missing something here with this new vision of Kratos. The only real thing of substance I got from the whole trailer is how....not-Kratos this guy is.

Also just want to say that, provided this is the same person, hearing Kratos tell anyone to stay calm rings incredibly hollow.

I think I'll sit this one out over here, and make bets on whether or not he's just gunna imbue the kid with raw power and turn him into a sweet new battle axe or something.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Don't know about the actual gameplay, but I impressed that they managed to show more nuance and depth to this new direction of Kratos' character than he ever had in the original trilogy. Granted, thats still not a lot, but I'm glad that the developers are at least trying to make up for the fact of what a dull and horrid edge lord he had become by 3 and that hes finally decided to take some responsibility for his actions.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Zio_IV said:
I only played the first God of War and essentially read the cliff notes for the other games, so I feel like I'm missing something here with this new vision of Kratos. The only real thing of substance I got from the whole trailer is how....not-Kratos this guy is.
Almost like he's had a character arc and some growth after 4 games and several hundred years of existence. :p

Zio_IV said:
Also just want to say that, provided this is the same person, hearing Kratos tell anyone to stay calm rings incredibly hollow.
Because one can never learn from their mistakes, and try and guide the next generation in a way to avoid the dumb things they did? That's exactly what parenting is. Trying to minimize the repetition of fuck ups we do on a generational basis. If the only people who had the right to teach other people were those who had never screwed something up in their life....nobody would be qualified to teach anyone anything.

Zio_IV said:
I think I'll sit this one out over here, and make bets on whether or not he's just gunna imbue the kid with raw power and turn him into a sweet new battle axe or something.
Well the kid's already got powers, as evidenced in the trailer. He shot a bow with a bolt of lightning. So clearly the kid's already got more in his deck than your average human.

Scapthat

May 31, 2016
Lot of cynicism up in this thread, but I suppose it's to be expected after so much of the same. Having said that, I'd rather they stick with Kratos for this than some random Norse dude or even Thor, which would be too predictable and remind me of Marvel too much anyways. At least with this they have a chance to go off script so to speak.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Mangod said:
Though I gotta say, if the ending of God of War III [https://youtu.be/BUw2j45HqlE?t=2m33s] is supposed to be a localized event, I think I just might die of laughter. The water levels have risen to the point where the Balkans are all completely submerged, except for a few mountaintops.
And then you see Noah floating by. Though flood myths are common across multiple religions.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I don't know my lore too well, but didn't Kratos literally become the God of War? Like an actual, pantheonic God? Why does an arrow his son accidentally hit him with hurt him?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Weaver said:
I don't know my lore too well, but didn't Kratos literally become the God of War? Like an actual, pantheonic God? Why does an arrow his son accidentally hit him with hurt him?
He was elevated to the Greek position of God of War, after he killed Ares in GoW 1. GoW 2, he had that power stripped from him by Zeus, because Kratos wouldn't behave. He then killed pretty much every god and titan of Greek mythology in GoW 2 and 3, getting their powers, and screwing up the entire natural balance. He's lost his powers, gained them back, lost them again, gained them back again, so many times over the course of the series, that it's pretty much standard operating procedure for him to be "powered down" on a regular basis.

Though I suspect at this point he isn't powered down, he's just not using his powers much.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Ezekiel said:
mardocOz said:
Ezekiel said:
They really should have given it a new protagonist. It's the stupidest thing ever, Kratos taking on the Norse gods after he's killed all the Greek ones. I'm so sick of stories going way beyond where they should have ended.
May be better to hold off on the criticism until after the game has launched and we know what the story is?

I understand your point but I feel that, since we know next to nothing about it, it's probably a little early to be judgemental.
But I'm not gonna play it, so better to judge it now. I'm usually right anyway.
Considering how horribly wrong you are the majority of the time I'll take this as a glowing recommendation and sign about the game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
mariosonicfan5 said:
Casual Shinji said:
It's a continuation. That first shot of Kratos stepping out of the shadows shows the scar on his abdomen. So it's the same guy, just older and seemingly set on a quest for redemption.
Lol yeah, he was on a quest for redemption in God of War 3. We all saw how that turned out for everyone involved!
I'm not making excuses for his character in the previous games, I'm just saying that by the looks of it the developers are aware what an irredeemable piece of shit he was. And that instead of ignoring it for a reboot, they decided to use it as a jumping-off point to try and give the guy back some humanity.

Whether they have the writing chops to achieve that is another question.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Weaver said:
Kratos loses his divine immortality (not that it made much difference in Ghost of Sparta) at the beginning of GoW 2.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
I'm not making excuses for his character in the previous games, I'm just saying that by the looks of it the developers are aware what an irredeemable piece of shit he was. And that instead of ignoring it for a reboot, they decided to use it as a jumping-off point to try and give the guy back some humanity.

I doubt there are many people who play God of War for its literary qualities. The new game seems much like they tinkered with the formula a bit then stuck with God of War b/c of brand recognition(make Kratos look old with a beard to explain away any inconsistencies).

The game itself does look pretty good though. Like less of a button masher than the previous games and I can appreciate the change in scenery as well.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
stroopwafel said:
Casual Shinji said:

I doubt there are many people who play God of War for its literary qualities.
Eh, the first game was a great example of a Greek Tragedy, and I thought it had a really good classic mythology feel to it. Even GoW 2 had some elements that I could get behind. Zeus being a dick to someone and fucking them over (seriously, that guy was famous for that kind of shit), and then the person seeking revenge for the wrong done to them.

stroopwafel said:
The new game seems much like they tinkered with the formula a bit then stuck with God of War b/c of brand recognition(make Kratos look old with a beard to explain away any inconsistencies).
Well, considering the very obvious Norse flavor of it, and the fact that the time period of the Vikings is at least several centuries after the time period of the classic Greek era, yeah, he would be old. When 900 years old you reach, look as young, you do not! xD

stroopwafel said:
The game itself does look pretty good though. Like less of a button masher than the previous games and I can appreciate the change in scenery as well.
I'm colored intrigued by it. I have a theory on where they're going with the plot, and if so, I find the game even that more interesting. But we'll see when it's all said and done.

Scapthat

May 31, 2016
From a Gamespot interview -

You're training him to be a warrior like you?

Not like you. Kratos is teaching him how to survive. This time period is very much away from the Viking stuff. There's migration before them, and pre-migration before that. We're at pre-migration, in Scandinavia it was a very barren time when it was said the Norse Gods wandered the earth. The Vikings always talked about, "The gods have abandoned us," and the gods not being around, even though they thought Thor, Odin, and Loki walked the Earth. They did walk the Earth, but they just pre-dated them.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/god-of-war-ps4-director-on-the-challenge-of-making/1100-6440945/

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
hanselthecaretaker said:
From a Gamespot interview -

You're training him to be a warrior like you?

Not like you. Kratos is teaching him how to survive. This time period is very much away from the Viking stuff. There's migration before them, and pre-migration before that. We're at pre-migration, in Scandinavia it was a very barren time when it was said the Norse Gods wandered the earth. The Vikings always talked about, "The gods have abandoned us," and the gods not being around, even though they thought Thor, Odin, and Loki walked the Earth. They did walk the Earth, but they just pre-dated them.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/god-of-war-ps4-director-on-the-challenge-of-making/1100-6440945/
...well, that pretty much settles my personal theory on the idea that they are setting up Kratos to become Odin, and that the kid is a young Thor, and we're basically seeing the founding of the Norse pantheon with this game. Cool, I was hoping they'd go that route.