Im confused about the new God of War?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
stroopwafel said:
Casual Shinji said:
I'm not making excuses for his character in the previous games, I'm just saying that by the looks of it the developers are aware what an irredeemable piece of shit he was. And that instead of ignoring it for a reboot, they decided to use it as a jumping-off point to try and give the guy back some humanity.

Whether they have the writing chops to achieve that is another question.
I doubt there are many people who play God of War for its literary qualities. The new game seems much like they tinkered with the formula a bit then stuck with God of War b/c of brand recognition(make Kratos look old with a beard to explain away any inconsistencies).

The game itself does look pretty good though. Like less of a button masher than the previous games and I can appreciate the change in scenery as well.
I think it's more along the lines of Sony wanting a new God of War, because it's God of War, and Santa Monica Studios having no choice but to comply, but atleast trying to take it into a different direction.

Scapthat

May 31, 2016
Casual Shinji said:
stroopwafel said:
Casual Shinji said:
I'm not making excuses for his character in the previous games, I'm just saying that by the looks of it the developers are aware what an irredeemable piece of shit he was. And that instead of ignoring it for a reboot, they decided to use it as a jumping-off point to try and give the guy back some humanity.

Whether they have the writing chops to achieve that is another question.
I doubt there are many people who play God of War for its literary qualities. The new game seems much like they tinkered with the formula a bit then stuck with God of War b/c of brand recognition(make Kratos look old with a beard to explain away any inconsistencies).

The game itself does look pretty good though. Like less of a button masher than the previous games and I can appreciate the change in scenery as well.
I think it's more along the lines of Sony wanting a new God of War, because it's God of War, and Santa Monica Studios having no choice but to comply, but atleast trying to take it into a different direction.
I remember reading years ago that Uncharted was originally supposed to be an underwater fantasy game, but Sony wanted ND to make something that could fill the TPS slot since Microsoft had a huge thing with Gears of War back then.

Sony Santa Monica was inspired by Devil May Cry before making GoW. The joke was apparently "Devs may cry" because of the seemingly impossible task of making something remotely as good.

Looking back now, both examples took a slightly different direction from their mild inspirations, but largely ended up better in the long run.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
Zio_IV said:
Also just want to say that, provided this is the same person, hearing Kratos tell anyone to stay calm rings incredibly hollow.
Because one can never learn from their mistakes, and try and guide the next generation in a way to avoid the dumb things they did? That's exactly what parenting is. Trying to minimize the repetition of fuck ups we do on a generational basis. If the only people who had the right to teach other people were those who had never screwed something up in their life....nobody would be qualified to teach anyone anything.
The guy's done nothing but go on murderous rampages because he's a walking timebomb in terms of his anger management. I doubt anything he learns is going to have a lasting impression on him.

Not that I'm going to argue against more GoW, even if I don't particularly care to play it myself, it does have pretty amazing set pieces that make Uncharted look like a shitty Paint indie game.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
It's a continuation of Kratos as the lead character, but the gameplay and perspective seem to have switched.

Hopefully the combat will get faster as we get closer to the release date.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I mean I'm glad they're doing the Norse gods and all... but I'd rather skip it and has him take on the Judeo Christian God.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Redryhno said:
Happyninja42 said:
Zio_IV said:
Also just want to say that, provided this is the same person, hearing Kratos tell anyone to stay calm rings incredibly hollow.
Because one can never learn from their mistakes, and try and guide the next generation in a way to avoid the dumb things they did? That's exactly what parenting is. Trying to minimize the repetition of fuck ups we do on a generational basis. If the only people who had the right to teach other people were those who had never screwed something up in their life....nobody would be qualified to teach anyone anything.
The guy's done nothing but go on murderous rampages because he's a walking timebomb in terms of his anger management. I doubt anything he learns is going to have a lasting impression on him.

Not that I'm going to argue against more GoW, even if I don't particularly care to play it myself, it does have pretty amazing set pieces that make Uncharted look like a shitty Paint indie game.
Except the ending of GoW 3 clearly showed him realizing the extent of his stupidity. When you stand at the end of the world (at least the Greek world anyway), and realize that you are the cause of all the destruction around you, and then attempt to kill yourself when you realize what you've done....you've kind of learned something that's going to have a lasting impression.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
Redryhno said:
Happyninja42 said:
Zio_IV said:

Except the ending of GoW 3 clearly showed him realizing the extent of his stupidity. When you stand at the end of the world (at least the Greek world anyway), and realize that you are the cause of all the destruction around you, and then attempt to kill yourself when you realize what you've done....you've kind of learned something that's going to have a lasting impression.
Pretty sure GoW1 had him realizing his place as the new Ares too, we saw how that turned out in 2.

I'm just saying, the guy's had multiple chances to learn, and hasn't ever really.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Redryhno said:
Happyninja42 said:
Redryhno said:
Happyninja42 said:
Zio_IV said:

Pretty sure GoW1 had him realizing his place as the new Ares too, we saw how that turned out in 2.

I'm just saying, the guy's had multiple chances to learn, and hasn't ever really.
Well apparently he has now, as evidenced by how he's behaving.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
The whole thing is weird to me. I wouldn't be surprised if kratos is a bait and switch.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
DudeistBelieve said:
I mean I'm glad they're doing the Norse gods and all... but I'd rather skip it and has him take on the Judeo Christian God.
I won't lie, I'd follow something like that closely just for the utter controversy alone it will cause. Just imagine your old school, non-gaming churchgoer hearing about some newfangled Xbox computer game where you split Moses in two to reach heaven just so you can sucker punch God in the face, water will be turned into salt as word spreads of it.

LonePunman

Jan 3, 2016
Ezekiel said:
They really should have given it a new protagonist. It's the stupidest thing ever, Kratos taking on the Norse gods after he's killed all the Greek ones. I'm so sick of stories going way beyond where they should have ended.
But, the game is called God of War, and the God of War is Kratos (after stealing the title from Ares).

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
LonePunman said:
Ezekiel said:
They really should have given it a new protagonist. It's the stupidest thing ever, Kratos taking on the Norse gods after he's killed all the Greek ones. I'm so sick of stories going way beyond where they should have ended.
But, the game is called God of War, and the God of War is Kratos (after stealing the title from Ares).
That makes no sense, you could just have a new character kill Kratos.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Blitsie said:
DudeistBelieve said:
I won't lie, I'd follow something like that closely just for the utter controversy alone it will cause. Just imagine your old school, non-gaming churchgoer hearing about some newfangled Xbox computer game where you split Moses in two to reach heaven just so you can sucker punch God in the face, water will be turned into salt as word spreads of it.
I just think it be interesting story if written well. Sure these polythesitic Gods are powerful, but I want to see how he'd take on a Monotheistic God.

Alternatively? I'd also like to see a final conclusion to Kratos. Kinda like Batman, where he finally gets over the death of his wife and child, moves on and is able to find happiness and contentedness in his life.

Scapthat

May 31, 2016
Redryhno said:
Happyninja42 said:
Redryhno said:
Happyninja42 said:
Zio_IV said:

Well, the same could be said about the human race in general. We've been repeating the same mistakes since the beginning of time. The whole power corrupts, absolute power corrupts yada yada. Maybe each generation simply doesn't live long enough, and for the ever-growing population we simply aren't teach important life lessons well enough down the lineage. We're too preoccupied with trivial objectives.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
DudeistBelieve said:
Blitsie said:
DudeistBelieve said:
I just think it be interesting story if written well. Sure these polythesitic Gods are powerful, but I want to see how he'd take on a Monotheistic God.

Alternatively? I'd also like to see a final conclusion to Kratos. Kinda like Batman, where he finally gets over the death of his wife and child, moves on and is able to find happiness and contentedness in his life.
Personally I wanna see Kratos take on Samson or Mohammed

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
DudeistBelieve said:
Blitsie said:
DudeistBelieve said:

I agree! Story-wise i think you can do some very interesting stuff, like maybe have Kratos meet Lucifer back when he was an angel and have the story focus around his rebellion and fall, with Kratos playing a large part in it. That way it also sets up God as the antagonist and gives a reason for there to be a battle and so.

I must say judging from the trailer theres a decent possibility this might be Kratos' final conclusion as well, maybe him teaching this kid to survive is part of him trying to move on and do something good for a change, and heck maybe this will end with the kid taking the mantle as well with them giving Kratos a decent send off. Guess we'll see as its release nears haha

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Happyninja42 said:
Ezekiel said:
I'm thinking they're going the route of "Kratos will create the Norse pantheon" storyline, given some of the stuff in that gameplay trailer. Odin is the Norse God of War, Thor is his red headed son, who has an affinity for lightning (which the kid demonstrated with his bow), and Odin is a grizzled old dude with a beard, constantly worried about "what is to come next" ie. Ragnarok.
I was about to come in correct you that Tyr is actually the god of war, but after a quick search he seems to share that title with Odin as well. Strange, I always read of him as the god of death. Oh well, being the founding father of Norse gods would be interesting, though it wouldn't fit Odin's backstory.

Scapthat

May 31, 2016
wizzy555 said:
LonePunman said:
Ezekiel said:
That makes no sense, you could just have a new character kill Kratos.
That would be an interesting concept, like perhaps the first act you do in the new game is go up to Kratos dragging himself up to shore at the end of 3, and just driving a divine blade through his head or something.

But imagine the backlash if most of the fans didn't want to do that, which very likely would be the case. Also, if they get this right, a father/son story of redemption and being able to do some good for a change would go much farther than starting over as some random dude with no established history at all.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
DudeistBelieve said:
Thing is, if they'd just left the series after 3 with no more prequels, we'd already have that. I don't know how it was elsewhere, but where I live the back of the box hyped God of War as a greek tragedy. I was totally fine with Kratos spiraling into loss and devastation and finally offing himself. It was a powerful, bitter end to his character. Having him reach some sort of happy ending takes away the tragedy and waters it down to a typical Hollywood redemption story.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Jute88 said:
Happyninja42 said:
Ezekiel said:
I'm thinking they're going the route of "Kratos will create the Norse pantheon" storyline, given some of the stuff in that gameplay trailer. Odin is the Norse God of War, Thor is his red headed son, who has an affinity for lightning (which the kid demonstrated with his bow), and Odin is a grizzled old dude with a beard, constantly worried about "what is to come next" ie. Ragnarok.
I was about to come in correct you that Tyr is actually the god of war, but after a quick search he seems to share that title with Odin as well. Strange, I always read of him as the god of death. Oh well, being the founding father of Norse gods would be interesting, though it wouldn't fit Odin's backstory.
The search I did shows Tyr as the god of Law/Justice, not War. Granted, I just wiki'd it, so take that accuracy with a grain of salt. xD

Nothing about the God of War franchise sticks traditionally to actual mythology. xD They use it as a broad tapestry to tell whatever story they want. And I'm fine with that, personally I think he's going to found the Norse pantheon. And chronologically it would still fit. He's been alive for centuries (at least) since he ended the Greek pantheon, and now the long term problems of his actions (namely the beginning of Ragnarok), are on the horizon. He wants to try and stop it. So what does he do? He does what Odin loosely does in mythology, and devote his entire being to trying to put people in place to fight it, starting with his "children". Though in this context, they probably won't be his biological children, and simply the "children of his power", as he divests himself of a lot of the power he consumed from the gods and the titans (probably picking up new powers of his own), and gives it to them to start the Norse pantheon.

And honestly? I'm 100% on board with that. The only better scenario for me would be that the pantheon already exists, and are dealing with Ragnarok because of Kratos putting it in motion. But Odin being Odin, he's not going to let a very lethal tool go to waste, so he drafts Kratos to help them undo what he's started. And Kratos, at this point realizing he done goofed big time, agrees, eager to fight for something positive, instead of his own petty revenge at the expense of all creation. So then you could have him fighting along side the Norse pantheon, instead of killing them, trying to thwart the prophecy of Ragnarok.

Either plot, I am 100% down for, from what they've shown, and my own theory, I think it's the former, instead of the latter, which could be awesome in it's own right. I'm definitely intrigued by what I've seen, still a lot of speculation, but I'm cool with it so far, and I'm curious where they will take it.