I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled today...

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
...and I am absolutely terrified. I'm 20 years old and this is the first time I have been legitimately afraid of the dentist. These wisdom teeth coming in are really messing up all of the work three years of braces accomplished. I suppose the pain will be alleviated to a great deal once this is all over, as I am in a fair amount of pain, but I am no less worried.

Would there be any advice my fellow Escapists could provide to ease a troubled mind? I've never had to go through anesthesia or surgery like this yet in my rational life. I'm scared, is all.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Are your wisdom teeth completely visible or are they still somewhat entrenched in your gums? 'Cause if they are it'll result in some cuttin'.

When the time comes for me wisdom teeth to go, they'll probably have to cut half my mouth open.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
I had a tooth pulled years ago. They numbed my mouth up really good, and it seemed to stay numb and/or painless. Plus I got to try to show off the big fucking hole in my mouth. It was at the back and my mouth was small, so nobody could see it.

What hurt was less the tooth coming out, then the insane dentist rattling her bloody pliers around my mouth and lips. I was surprised I didn't come out with a fat lip.

I'll conclude by saying that chicks dig scars. Just tell them that they need to find yours. With their tongues.
Yeah, I'm a misogynistic bastard.

3rd rung

Feb 20, 2009
when I put mine pulled I never need any pain meds so its nothing to worry about

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
No pain when they took mine out.
I only ended up taking 2 of the pills they gave me.

And I got a bone graft done as well

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Are they going to keep you awake? Because if so, then I don't know what you're bitching about. My wisdom teeth were coming in sideways, so they literally had to knock me out, break the teeth up in my mouth, and then rip them out. My mouth was swollen and I was on Vicodin for a week. That SUCKED, especially because I had to work a few days later and I'm sure I was a zombie.

EDIT: I just saw where you said you'd be getting anesthesia, so I guess you'll be going through what I did. Sorry to hear that. My only advice is hope there's a Wendy's nearby, because their frostys were the only thing I could eat for a few days.

HumpinHop

May 5, 2011
Tell them to make sure that you're knocked da' fugg out. I was half-awake during the whole procedure and it was an indescribable amount of pain.

As long as you take the drugs and fall asleep, you'll be fine. It sucks for some amount afterwards but take it as an excuse for slurpees and ice cream.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Are your wisdom teeth completely visible or are they still somewhat entrenched in your gums?
I'm getting all four of my wisdom teeth pulled. All four of them are still embedded in my gums save for the smallest possible edge of one poking through the gum line. Yes, it hurts. I'm hoping removing the teeth outright will lessen the said pain.

deadman91 said:
I'll conclude by saying that chicks dig scars. Just tell them that they need to find yours. With their tongues.
Heh, that rose a chuckle out of me. Thanks for that.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Z of the Na said:
Casual Shinji said:
Are your wisdom teeth completely visible or are they still somewhat entrenched in your gums?
I'm getting all four of my wisdom teeth pulled. All four of them are still embedded in my gums save for the smallest possible edge of one poking through the gum line. Yes, it hurts. I'm hoping removing the teeth outright will lessen the said pain.
I don't know how much it's gonna hurt, but you should probably expect your jaws to swell up like a ***** when it's over.

I only have the wisdom teeth in my lower jaw embedded, the ones in my upper jaw seem to lean outward like a car door.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
Are they going to keep you awake?

My only advice is hope there's a Wendy's nearby, because their frostys were the only thing I could eat for a few days.
HumpinHop said:
Tell them to make sure that you're knocked da' fugg out. It sucks for some amount afterwards but take it as an excuse for slurpees and ice cream.
I've been told that I'll be knocked out so hard I won't feel a thing. It's afterwards that I am worried about; dry sockets and possible cotton swabs in my mouth for hours.

I freakin' love Frostys though. That sounds awesome.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Z of the Na said:
Avaholic03 said:
Are they going to keep you awake?

My only advice is hope there's a Wendy's nearby, because their frostys were the only thing I could eat for a few days.
HumpinHop said:
Tell them to make sure that you're knocked da' fugg out. It sucks for some amount afterwards but take it as an excuse for slurpees and ice cream.
I've been told that I'll be knocked out so hard I won't feel a thing. It's afterwards that I am worried about; dry sockets and possible cotton swabs in my mouth for hours.

I freakin' love Frostys though. That sounds awesome.
They get much less awesome when that's all you eat for a few days. Especially when you feel slightly sick from the blood constantly dripping down the back of your throat combined with the Vicodin. I didn't have a frosty for probably 6 months after that.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
It shouldn't be too bad. I hate two of mine removed recently and I waqs cracking jokes with the dentist and the assistant in the middle of the procedure. There was some soreness for a couple of days after, but just get some advil an you shouldbe good to go.

UnendingLight

Dec 7, 2010
What a coincidence, I just had all 4 of mine pulled yesterday, all of which were just below the gum as well.

I don't know how yours are coming in, but my top ones were coming in well, but the bottom 2 were going to push and crowd, so I had all of them gone.

To give you a little about how it goes:

Emotions/Feeling going off a mid morning surgery:

Nervous (before) > Fun (During/a little after) > Aching/Annoying (after/when you get home [MAKE SURE TO TAKE THE PAIN KILLERS AS SOON AS YOU CAN]) > Somewhat normal feeling as numbness wears off > AGONIZING Stomach pain (much later in the evening)> Slight Discomfort, like you got punched in the jaw (later at night)

The worse parts are the aching and annoying gauze when you first get home, and then the tremendous stomach pain much later. If your lucky, your stomach can handle the meds/slight bleeding better than mine (I have a pretty weak stomach).

But honestly, don't be afraid of the procedure itself. It's actually fun/barely remember it.

As for this second day, just a bit more swelling, but ice REALLY gets that down. I'm sure your dentist will tell you, but 20 minutes on and off for ice for the first 2 days is very helpful to keep swelling and aching down.

The first day is the worst, but you'll be fine! :D HAVE NO FEAR!

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Z of the Na said:
deadman91 said:
Heh, that rose a chuckle out of me. Thanks for that.
Hey, there's a bright side to anything if you look hard enough.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Z of the Na said:
...and I am absolutely terrified. I'm 20 years old and this is the first time I have been legitimately afraid of the dentist. These wisdom teeth coming in are really messing up all of the work three years of braces accomplished. I suppose the pain will be alleviated to a great deal once this is all over, as I am in a fair amount of pain, but I am no less worried.

Would there be any advice my fellow Escapists could provide to ease a troubled mind? I've never had to go through anesthesia or surgery like this yet in my rational life. I'm scared, is all.
Um....
I got nothing....nothing at all.

:|.

Just uh...get it done. That's all I can offer you.

Better...now then later right?

Edit: And find someone you can trust that can do the job right.

rsacks

Nov 19, 2009
The advice I have is make sure you have someone with you when you go. It doesn't matter if you're driving or taking the the bus/train/subway, you are going to be screwed up when you come out of the anesthetic (I know, it happened to me, I could barely walk when they were done because of the drugs.). When you get home it's also a good idea to have someone to help out because even if you only need to take a few of the pain pills they give to you, they will probably make you really really groggy.

For food, I like other people's suggestions of Frosty's, nice and cold to help with the pain. I ate a lot of yogurt and soup broth. After a couple of days soft things like soup noodles and such will be ok.

Also: Frozen peas. I'm serious, frozen peas work better than any ice pack because they'll conform to you swollen cheeks. I'd say get 2 or 3 bags so you can rotate them in and out when they get too warm.

TL:DR- Have a buddy with you when you go,Frosty's and yogurt to eat and frozen peas to use as ice packs. There's nothing to worry about, this procedure is very common and the dental surgeons are well practiced.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
after reading all of this, i'm glad I don't need to get my wisdom teeth pulled. I was told my my dentist I actually don't have any. Man am I happy about that! But ya, just good luck to ya good sir as I have no advice to give.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
I'm not going to dance around the issue. The operation is painless. Its a dreamless sleep.
Its what comes after that will push your tolerance of unholy pain.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I don't know how much it's gonna hurt, but you should probably expect your jaws to swell up like a ***** when it's over.
Aw crap...

Avaholic03 said:
They get much less awesome when that's all you eat for a few days. Especially when you feel slightly sick from the blood constantly dripping down the back of your throat combined with the Vicodin. I didn't have a frosty for probably 6 months after that.
Aw crap.

Well, I knew it was going to suck from the beginning. I guess I'm going to have to get through this like any other illness I've had. Only with more searing pain and swelled up jaws.

I mean, how fucked up does your day have to be when ice cream won't fix it?!?