I'm going to miss you people when the Escapist shuts down.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
3,645
0
0
Same. This site was great in it's heyday. It's a shame that it's story is nearing a close, but I've enjoyed my time here, and the people I've talked to (although not really befriended).

A pity too, I would've been on here for 10 years next October (2019).
 

Drathnoxis

The detective who kills people who ask him to help
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
4,533
1,243
118
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
Arnoxthe1 said:
I'm gonna be making a new forum and hosting it in the Netherlands. For specific reasons. But the bad news is, that's WAY down the road because I absolutely need to do something that will consume literally two whole years of my life and I won't be able to properly admin a forum at all of course during such. Because of that though, I wonder if I should even have mentioned it, but I just simply wanted you all to know that the classic BBS/forum format for social media will not be forgotten and will be resurrected.

At a later date though. I'm gonna be really damn busy.
What are you doing? Going to school? Becoming a missionary? joining the army? Training to become the world's strongest martial artist?

Also, I've been curious, do you set your profile gender to match your avatar or something, because I notice it's changed.
 

Drathnoxis

The detective who kills people who ask him to help
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
4,533
1,243
118
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
Silentpony said:
Are you going somewhere Drath?
Nah, but you never know if the site might :/
Just wanted to let everyone know that they aren't wasting their time because I appreciate that they're still coming here.
 
Feb 7, 2016
728
0
0
I've had The Escapist set as one of my primary tabs on my browser for years. I'd open up the internet, and there it was. I'd pop in, see what was new, what was up, see if there was anything interesting to toss my two cents into, and then leave.

Sometimes a response made me excited. Even if it was just to disagree (or in worse cases, degrade) with my opinion. Made me feel like I was apart of something. In fact, as far the internet goes, it was the first time I was involved in somewhere. Nowadays I spend my online time with the few people I recognize in Overwatch and the friends I've made in FF XIV, but it was here I grew the confidence to even try and interact online. The internet ain't all bad.

And to think I only came here because all those years ago I saw a Yahtzee video on G4TV.
 

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
152
0
0
This has been one of the most active communities online i have been in a long time. I watched as this site slowly dwindled down to what it is today, missed out a lot, but still had fun hanging out in the forums. Have to at least thank the form admins for doing their damnedest to keep this running.As well as thank the countless personalities that habitat this forum, (even if some were clearly from the same two/three people).


Thanks again, it has been fun.
 

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
2,389
447
88
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Gender
Male
bootwhistle said:
Thaluikhain said:
Kyrian007 said:
We already lost Cracked.com's youtube content
Wait, what?

Ok, only care about After Hours, but still. Been cancelled?
There were massive layoffs end of last year I think, most of the content creators were let go including the After Hours cast :(
Soren left to be a writer for American Dad, then Michael left citing problems with alcoholism. Then EW Scripps (the company that owns Cracked... like Defy owns The Escapist) fired everyone producing video content (and almost everyone else) and has shrunk the brand to be web articles only, and basically just the lists. Its more or less low rent Buzzfeed now.
 

Arnoxthe1

New member
Dec 25, 2010
3,374
0
0
Drathnoxis said:
Becoming a missionary?
Yep. People need help.

As to my profile gender, I'm glad you care enough to regularly visit my profile page. And yes, I do change it to suit my ever evolving avatar of awesome.
 

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
2,980
0
0
I miss the old days too. Met a load of good people here.

At least we still have the 'Escapism' meets here in the UK. A load of guys from the site, and some who were never members, meeting up twice a year for geeky weekends.

He hasn't been for a while, but Root of all Evil used to come to them too, even long after he stopped contributing in the forums.
 

Owlslayer

New member
Nov 26, 2009
1,954
0
0
I've been lurking and making small posts for a long while. And yeah it's been a bumpy ride, but It has been fun. Several of the names you mention do ring a bell, too. Especially Root.

Also, i'm getting a weird feeling lurking in the groups that have stopped working. Kinda...fascinating to look at older stuff again. Can't really put a finger on the emotion, it's not just curiosity. Something more ...morbid maybe? To look at all those profiles and when and what the last post was, and so on. Really an odd feeling, gotta say.

But either way,just in case the site goes down tomorrow: I've enjoyed my time here! And I'll come back and lurk around every now and then, can't break a bad habbit, haha!
 

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
1,280
0
41
Country
Norway
The Escapist community was (and is) like no other I've seen, and I've had some truly wonderful times here. I may not have too much to say any more (less engaging conversation going on), but I'll be lurking on these forums until someone pulls the plug!

Thanks, everybody. I can only hope that you all have enjoyed my company as much as I have enjoyed yours.
 

Chemical Alia

New member
Feb 1, 2011
1,658
0
0
I haven't posted here in years, but I still come here every day to read the forums. I'm gonna miss it a lot when it's no longer around. Some of those names you mentioned brought memories, thanks for sharing.
 

Drathnoxis

The detective who kills people who ask him to help
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
4,533
1,243
118
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
Elvis Starburst said:
and quotes are borked so people don't bother with it much anymore (I still fix my settings weekly, hoping I see a quote waiting for me).
I always fix my settings too.
Redlin5 said:
I have the community signature background always on because of all the good times.

We're not getting what we had back here but I'm here until the lights go out.
So many people have said that, most of them don't come here anymore :(
DeliveryGodNoah said:
I've had The Escapist set as one of my primary tabs on my browser for years. I'd open up the internet, and there it was. I'd pop in, see what was new, what was up, see if there was anything interesting to toss my two cents into, and then leave.

Sometimes a response made me excited. Even if it was just to disagree (or in worse cases, degrade) with my opinion. Made me feel like I was apart of something. In fact, as far the internet goes, it was the first time I was involved in somewhere. Nowadays I spend my online time with the few people I recognize in Overwatch and the friends I've made in FF XIV, but it was here I grew the confidence to even try and interact online. The internet ain't all bad.

And to think I only came here because all those years ago I saw a Yahtzee video on G4TV.
You wanted to be a game reviewer, right? How's that working out?
Arnoxthe1 said:
Drathnoxis said:
Becoming a missionary?
Yep. People need help.

As to my profile gender, I'm glad you care enough to regularly visit my profile page. And yes, I do change it to suit my ever evolving avatar of awesome.
Oh cool! You're the second Escapist I know that became a missionary. Where are you going to do it?

I only noticed because I saw someone call you 'he' and I was pretty sure your profile had said female last time I checked. Hmm, now I don't actually know, which pronoun do I use? Based on your fursona, I'm gonna say 'she'?
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I miss the old days too. Met a load of good people here.

At least we still have the 'Escapism' meets here in the UK. A load of guys from the site, and some who were never members, meeting up twice a year for geeky weekends.

He hasn't been for a while, but Root of all Evil used to come to them too, even long after he stopped contributing in the forums.
That's too far away. Could you do it in western Canada one time? =P

Chemical Alia said:
I haven't posted here in years, but I still come here every day to read the forums. I'm gonna miss it a lot when it's no longer around. Some of those names you mentioned brought memories, thanks for sharing.
So why did you stop posting?
 

Arnoxthe1

New member
Dec 25, 2010
3,374
0
0
Drathnoxis said:
Oh cool! You're the second Escapist I know that became a missionary. Where are you going to do it?

I only noticed because I saw someone call you 'he' and I was pretty sure your profile had said female last time I checked. Hmm, now I don't actually know, which pronoun do I use? Based on your fursona, I'm gonna say 'she'?
I have no idea. In the LDS religion, you are sent where you are needed. It could could be Topeka, Kansas or it could be Sierra Leone, Africa. As long as they don't send me any place hot though, I legit do not care.

I might actually just choose to conceal my gender actually. :3 But refer to me with whatever pronoun you'd like.
 

maninahat

New member
Nov 8, 2007
4,397
0
0
It would be sad to see you all go, but heck this isn't the first community I've seen go. It's weird to think of things like websites as have a shelf-life, but we've been around long enough for us to see things naturally perish.

 

WhiteFangofWhoa

New member
Jan 11, 2008
2,548
0
0
Me too, man... me too.
ZP was what drew me to this site originally, but there were a number of other fun features back in the day that kept me watching, such as Unskippable, Escape to the Movies, and Extra Credits. Also it was nice to have a gaming discussion board better organised than GameFAQs. Some of those threads really made me think more closely about what exactly makes a game/movie good or bad, and why.

Oh well, it's been fun talking with you all for 10 years. Thanks for the responses and interesting threads.

The rest...is silence.
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
14,334
0
0
"You're going to miss me when I'm gone." ...nah, probably not. I'm hardly one of the Escapist celebrities.
Yeah this site saw some good times, it's a shame that it's a done with now. Well I'll be hanging around till the plug is pulled.
 

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
12,010
0
41
Country
United States
It's always interesting to see old timers pop in every couple of years to survey the wasteland. It's going to be a sad day when all of our 8+ year old browser bookmarks lead to a 404 error.
 

Caramel Frappe

Regular Member
Legacy
Dec 10, 2010
51
4
13
California
Country
United States
Gender
male
Yea ... I already miss it as well. I can?t tell you how tempted I am to jump back on and try making this place work out but in the end ... unless given a tech team, money, and a way to get new people to join our community- the attempt will utterly fail. I appreciate you guys as well and will continue lurking here and there.
 

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
4,367
0
0
Fappy said:
It's always interesting to see old timers pop in every couple of years to survey the wasteland. It's going to be a sad day when all of our 8+ year old browser bookmarks lead to a 404 error.
God damn, now you got me feeling bummed out. Thanks fappy. :(