I'm looking for board games. Any Suggestions?

FortheLegion

Dec 16, 2008
I'm looking for some fun board games that two friends and I can play. Do you know of any good board games I should look into?

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
Cluedo, scrabble, jenga, pictionary... I don't know, depends what style you're looking for :p Card games like poker are always fun too though. :)

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
FortheLegion said:
I'm looking for some fun board games that two friends and I can play. Do you know of any good board games I should look into?
Co-Operative or competitive?

One of the best (and not to terribly difficult) co-op boardgames I've seen is Pandemic. 2-5 players you're a team trying to stop 4-5 global scale pandemics before it threatens to wipe out the human race.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I had a ton of fun with The Game of Life. Also, if you set up enough ground rules to finish it within two hours Monopoly. I'm also really curious about Risk but I would grab one of the special ones like Halo, Future or, something.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Settlers of Catan is the greatest board game ever. It's pretty easy to learn, and has quite a lot of strategy.

I wouldn't recommend the expansions, though. From my experience, they only complicate the game without adding any more strategy to speak of.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
The Logo game, it's hilariously shit.

Which makes it fantastic to play with friends.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Settlers of Catan is definitely a good investment. A somewhat similar game is Carcassonne (sp?). Blokus is a fun puzzle-like sort of game. Munchkin is a fun card-based game that lovingly mocks D&D.

If there's more then 3 people you're playing with, there are other games I'd suggest. One of my personal favourites is 'Things' - basically, every round a card is drawn that says something like 'Things you shouldn't give as a gift', and everyone writes something down - it gets hilarious fast. If you have 7 people, and are feeling a little crazy, you can always try your hand at Diplomacy, which is like Risk, with less luck, and more strategy, alliances, and backstabbing. Or you could just play Risk, which is also fun.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
FortheLegion said:
If you like complex, I'd say:

Betrayal at House on the Hill.

A board game where you get to explore a haunted house... until one of the players betrays you! And who (and why) is randomly generated every time you play. Very cool board game.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Warhammer 40k Space Hulk is pretty good.

Also the EVE Online board game is pretty fun if you've got an afternoon or two.

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
although not a board game (its a card game), chrononaughts is my suggestion. you'll be amazed at how many times someone goes back in time to prevent another player from killing hitler

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
It's been mentioned a couple times already: Settlers of Catan. It's a great strategy game that gets really intense and is way more engaging than the average popular board game(monopoly).

mikeybuthge

Apr 28, 2010
Arkham Horror, takes awhile to set up, but after that you're trying to stop one of Lovecraftian horrors from invading earth by closing portals and fighting monsters

Poomermon

Aug 26, 2011
I would suggest:

1. Settlers of Catan - As others have said a great board game with luck and strategy involved. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlers_of_Catan
2. Puerto Rico - More advanced board game with minimal luck factor. All depends on your strategy and how you react to other players choices. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico_%28board_game%29
3. Carcassonne - Fun and easy to play board game. Very luck dependant but entertaining nonetheless. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcassonne_%28board_game%29

All those board games have won multiple awards and are pretty much universally praised.

oneeyemug

Jan 14, 2012
You could also try "The War on Terror". It's Monopoly + Risk + The Settlers of Catan, with a bit of self-parodied humor as well.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
3 players on average?
Pretty much any of the Arkham Horror family of games will do.
Akrham Horror itself is a nice co-op game about killing Lovecraftian elder gods. It is a massive game though and takes a decent time investment (I think 90mins minimum, but it has been a while since I have played)
Elder Signs is a small game that crosses yahtzee with Lovecraft and is also co-operative. It works best with 4, but it plays well with any number of players from 1 to 8.
And then there is Mansions of Madness, a semi-cooperative storytelling game. It is kind of like a role-playing board game in that one player is the keeper who picks a story scenario they are running and plays the antagonists while every other players play an investigator who explores the mansion. The game supports 1-4 investigators, but there is next to no reason why one player can't play more than one investigator (one scenario introduces a hidden loyalty mechanic, but the general consensus is that one is kind of ass and unfair anyway). There are some problems with the game though. It is big, it is kind of expensive and there are a lot of eratas and rules clarifications to keep in mind. It is not terrible, but there is enough there to turn some players off of it and it is a bit of an investment. Also, it does not travel real well.
And then there is also Catan, Carcasonne, Puerto Rico. Pretty much the Eurogame standards. Some people really like Agricola. It is a complicated farming game that requires a lot of strategic thinking, but it has a way of frustrating players. Approach at your own risk.
The one other thing I will say is that if you have a group of 4-6 people who like playing board games, you can do nothing better for them than buy a copy of Battlestar Galactica the Board Game. So much fun and requires no knowledge of the show to appreciate. The big problem though is that it is balanced best for a 5 player game and everything else will leave you wanting.
I will leave it there for now. If you want more suggestions or need a different style of game, I have more. I kind of like board games a bit too much.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
There's Zombies!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombies!!!

There's so many ways for players to completely fuck each each other over it's hilarious.