I'm looking to start to get into post-rock, but I have no idea where to start.

Instinct Blues

Jun 8, 2008
Exactly what the topic title says I'm looking to get into post-rock, but I've no idea where I should start or what is generally considered the greats in post-rock. I don't want to just throw myself in unprepared and end up hating the genre because I went in with no idea what to expect. So I'm asking you my fellow escapists what post-rock should I start my journey with?

P.S. Also note that I plan on aqcuiring these things through legal means so take that into account because I won't be able to buy everything so I'm looking for the major albums in post-rock.

Najos

Aug 4, 2008
The only two I can think of that I'm familiar with at all is Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Mogwai. I had to Google it anyway. I like both of those bands, but I'm certainly not an expert on "post-rock" as I had no idea what it meant until about three minutes ago. Oh, and apparently BOTH of those bands reject the label now...so yeah.

I've never really been into music enough to decipher all of the labels for different genres. I like to keep it simple.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Post Rock?
I can only think of Post Hardcore bands.
Try typing "post rock" into pandora and see what comes up.

Instinct Blues

Jun 8, 2008
triggrhappy94 said:
Post Rock?
I can only think of Post Hardcore bands.
Try typing "post rock" into pandora and see what comes up.
I'll take suggestions on post-hardcore bands too seeing as the only "post-" genre I have any familiarity with is post-punk.

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
I love post-rock. Here's some songs for you!

Some of it isn't necessarily post-rock. Well, it sort of is and it isn't. Post-rock is a pretty diverse genre. Music is pretty diverse. Labels only simplify things and try to make communication more convenient, while at the same time making it more complicated and less convenient. Language likes to do that.

If like these and want some more recommendations feel free to ask!

Instinct Blues

Jun 8, 2008
TheLaofKazi said:
I love post-rock. Here's some songs for you!

Some of it isn't necessarily post-rock. Well, it sort of is and it isn't. Post-rock is a pretty diverse genre. Music is pretty diverse. Labels only simplify things and try to make communication more convenient, while at the same time making it more complicated and less convenient. Language likes to do that.

If like these and want some more recommendations feel free to ask!
Thanks man I really enjoyed those songs would you mind recommending me an album or two from Sigur Ros, Bark Psychosis, and Slint?

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
Instinct Blues said:
Thanks man I really enjoyed those songs would you mind recommending me an album or two from Sigur Ros, Bark Psychosis, and Slint?
Pretty much the albums those songs are off of are great. I still haven't gotten into most of the band's other albums.

Sigur Ros - We Play Endlessly & () are good
Bark Psychosis - ///Codename: Dustsucker is what I've listened to so far and I enjoyed it. I have yet to listen to their first album.
Slint - Spiderland is considered a really important and influential album in post-rock, it's probably one of my favorite albums. It's kind of inaccessible at first though, very dark and isolated sound.

minnull

Feb 10, 2010
Start with Mogwai. Their easiest album to get into is called Rock Action but CODY (Come On Die Young) is a big fan favorite (Young Team, their first album, is considered their best). They just released a new album called Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will which is 3 shades of awesome. Their songs range from happy to sad to angry to experimental noise. I'll leave you with 3 songs that really show the versatility the band has.

BatCat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMDCM5OAOaE

Hunted By A Freak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncSlPGnuOss

How To Be A WereWolf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrIRcB0x4iU

And just for good measure, heres my personal favorite from the band (I'm Jim Morrison I'm Dead, Live)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EfuLuN0VXs

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Mogwai are the consistent veterans in the field.
Sigur Ros have great music that is sabotaged by vocals that sound like dying cats.

Explosions in the Sky is probably my favorite.