I'm new here: What're these forums like?

No-one important

Aug 6, 2009
So, I've just taken my first steps to becoming a part of the community by having an avatar made by the [a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.79496?page=1"]Holiday Council[/a].

I want to know, what are these forums like? What nationality are most forumgoers? Are there any things I should know which aren't mentioned in the posting guidelines? Any famous users I should make myself familiar with? Do you feel that the specificity present in this veritable glut of questions belies the vagueness of my overarching goal?

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Everything you really need to know is in the posting guidelines.

Basically, if you use common sense and proper grammar, you'll do fine here.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
no flame wars

keep repeat threads to minimum

no trolling

no asking for probation unless you want it

no finding people with google maps,killing them,and taking a picture of their corpses

welcome to the escapist,have a good time^^

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
These forums are a wonderful place.
Most of the people here are nice, and when they're not being nice, they're usually making their points well enough to make up for rudeness.
If you've read the guidelines, then I'd say you're good.
Famous posters? I 'unno.
And I suppose.

Welcome to the escapist!
TheNumber1Zero said:
no finding people with google maps,killing them,and taking a picture of their corpses
Actually, I'm pretty sure we all voted that was okay in certain circumstances.

iggyus

Apr 18, 2009
Don't feed Max and the trolls. Always watch your back, dont talk to stranger and dont accept candy from them either

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
A new person who can spell! I've always wanted one of those. Time for the welcoming message I got...

Welcome! Welcome to Escapistmagazine.com! You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining Internet Utopias. I thought so much of Escapistmagazine.com, that I elected to establish my administration, here, in the Forums, so thoughtfully provided by our Moderators. I am proud to call Escapistmagazine.com my home. And so, whether you are here to stay, or passing through to parts unknown, welcome, to Escapistmagazine.com. It's safer here.

And I like your avatar.

iggyus

Apr 18, 2009
TheNumber1Zero said:
no flame wars

no trolling

But is it ok to kill them without taking a picture?

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
iggyus said:
TheNumber1Zero said:
no flame wars

no trolling

But is it ok to kill them without taking a picture?
why not?

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
That we of the Escapist are a peaceful and rational community and are all like one big happy family and that it'as kind of our own tranquil world here away from real life. Being on the Escapist is a journey of self discovery as you learn things about yourself that set you apart from the rest, give you a reputation and help define you as who you are, for instance I am remembered as one of the bigger Halo Fans on here.
Welcome to the Escapist brother, we fight the good fight.

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
Fat Man Spoon said:
A new person who can spell! I've always wanted one of those. Time for the welcoming message I got...

Welcome! Welcome to Escapistmagazine.com! You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining Internet Utopias. I thought so much of Escapistmagazine.com, that I elected to establish my administration, here, in the Forums, so thoughtfully provided by our Moderators. I am proud to call Escapistmagazine.com my home. And so, whether you are here to stay, or passing through to parts unknown, welcome, to Escapistmagazine.com. It's safer here.

And I like your avatar.
I never got that welcoming message.../pouts/

Oh well, welcome to The Escapist. Please make sure you left the trolls at the door and your spelling errors in the toilet. Also make sure to enjoy your stay!

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
NekoiHiokans said:
Fat Man Spoon said:

And I like your avatar.
I never got that welcoming message.../pouts/

Oh well, welcome to The Escapist. Please make sure you left the trolls at the door and your spelling errors in the toilet. Please enjoy your stay!
I didn't get greeted either.course I don't care.

ThePoodonkis

Apr 22, 2008
Fat Man Spoon said:

And I like your avatar.
First time in three weeks I get to use that, and you take it.
Bravo. You deserve a Hi-Five.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Welcome. Don't feed trolls, don't make low-content posts, no vs threads, and no flame wars. You'll do fine here.

Again, welcome to the Escapist. Safe Haven for intelligence and discussion.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Welcome to the greatest online community since the Canned Bread forums went down for the count! Stay out of flame wars, VS threads and the way of the trolls.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
The newly-implemented Group function makes meeting people with similar interests easier. So you should probably go there and see for yourself. User Groups are under the Community Tab.

EDIT:
No religion threads please. We have our fair share of Agnostics/Atheists/Christians/etc. that I am amazed to see the forums implode whenever a religion thread crops up.

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
ThePoodonkis said:
Fat Man Spoon said:

And I like your avatar.
First time in three weeks I get to use that, and you take it.
Bravo. You deserve a Hi-Five.
*Takes the Hi-Five*

*Wipes hand on curtain when you aren't looking*