I'm new here: What're these forums like?

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
No-one important said:
Be sure to check the clan threads if you want to get some games going with your fellow Escapists. This is the PC clan thread. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.81348#1081992] There are links to the other two in there.

Have fun!

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Welcome!
You mean some new people actually read the guidelines? I think I slipped into the twilight zone!
I was going to do my escapist breencast, but someone beat me to it.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Don't be lulled into a state of complacence by the warm welcomes.
Your life will have been ruined and your pets murdered before the year is out.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Welcome to the forums. If you had any regard for your own personal well being, you would leave. Now. Seriously, do it. There's the door. No one'd blame ya.

Max is always watching...

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Generally The Escapist is an oasis that excepts only the most mature and un-trollish people on the wide wide interweb. If you seek protection from the many, many idiots in this great hellhole, then you've come to the right place.

Oh, and people generally reward one another with cookies. Here, have a complimentary cookie as a welcome gift from me.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
A-hoy there and welcome to the Escapist!
Best advice I can give you: make sure you give at least some detail in your posts, especially when you qoute someone. Also, use proper grammar and punctuation, but I see you've already got that one down.

Have a fun stay here.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Don't be disrespectful in any way, even to disrespectful people. Cause that'll either land you a probation or worse, or getting bashed by the rest of the members. Respect the elders, meaning the mods, and those with high post counts. :p

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
To be honest, I think that numerous users have a rather unhealthy emotional investment in this site. If you insult their beloved Escapist, they respond in force.

Oh, and remember not to get into flame fights. A flame is simply an attack on another user; this could involve swearing, insulting mothers lieing and general unpleasantness stemming from past disagreements. Surprisingly many forum users are all too willing to flame one another.

I hope this doesn't seem redundant, but those are the two most important things to remember when using the forums.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Just be polite, don't attack other users, use proper spelling and grammar, and you'll have a good time.

Also, some extra advice: don't make religion threads, those are considered a significant problem here. Be careful when mentioning anime or JRPG's, since at least partly because of Yahtzee there's a dislike of them, especially the latter. And do not make one word posts; the mods are not fond of them at all. The rest, young Padawan, you'll learn with lurking and experience.

As for Max, you'll either love his sociopathy (like most of us, including me) or hate it (the only person I've seen who does, though, is Cheeze_Pavilion).

No-one important

Aug 6, 2009
A random person said:
As for Max, you'll either love his sociopathy or hate it.
Honestly, he seems to be using a peculiar post format in order to hide how low the content of his posts is.

But I'm probably wrong; I've only been here a few days, and I haven't seen all of his 11611 posts, so my opinion doesn't count for much.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
SEARCH BAR! SEARCH BAR! JESUS CHRIST USE THE SEARCH BAR!

That's basically the only thing that goes on here. Someone makes a post, and then fifty douche bags try to think of some clever way to tell them to search before posting.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Welcome to the Escapist. Be nice and put some thought into your post. Also, if you understand references that only you and that other person says, you'll be rewarded with cookies. Cookies!

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
j0z said:
Welcome!
You mean some new people actually read the guidelines? I think I slipped into the twilight zone!
I was going to do my escapist breencast, but someone beat me to it.
Wait... YOU came up with that? Nice man, Nice.