I'm sorry, you have forfeited your right to complain.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
KarumaK said:
Nunny said:
StBishop said:
1. Don't Vote = Don't complain about the government
2. Haven't experienced a portion of life (Never had a job, never went to uni, never finished Highschool, Never served in Armed Forces etc.) = Don't rag on it or say it's easy/unnecissary.
Beat me to it, if you dont vote you dont get to complain about the resulting government.
North Koreans would like a word.
Let me rephrase, If you have the opportunity to vote, and choose not to take it, you should not complain about the government.

teh_pwning_dude said:
StBishop said:
2. Haven't experienced a portion of life (Never had a job, never went to uni, never finished Highschool, Never served in Armed Forces etc.) = Don't rag on it or say it's easy/unnecissary.
So I'm not allowed to complain about terrorism because I've never been a terrorist?
As others have said, by all means complain about the effects of terrorism, simply don't say that these people have other options etc. If they could walk a mile in your shoes, would you walk a mile in their bare feet? (Don't take that literally, for God's sake)

demoman_chaos said:
StBishop said:
You have that wrong. The non-voters are the ones who can complain. WE didn't put W. Bush in office for 8 years. Those that did vote are the ones that are to blame. The voters are the one screwing it up for the rest of us.
Then again, voting is pointless. The popular vote doesn't matter in U.S. presidential elections (which are in MAJOR need of an overhaul, which I have an idea of waht to change it to). Al Gore had more votes than Bush but still lost, so voting for federal offices is indeed pointless.
As I'm not from the U.S.A I won't comment on your system of government, especially as I know very little about it. However, if you choose not to vote you really shouldn't complain. How do you know that your one vote couldn't have changed it, for that matter, if every single non-voter had voted imagine the possibilities.

I'm simply suggesting that you should vote, then if you lose, complain. I'm unaware of the circumstances of the Al Gore/George Bush-more votes total-less states total-some shit that went down.

Just vote, seriously.

Nunny

Aug 22, 2009
KarumaK said:
Nunny said:
StBishop said:
Beat me to it, if you dont vote you dont get to complain about the resulting government.
North Koreans would like a word.

Only applys to people whome live in western countries.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
StBishop said:
As I'm not from the U.S.A I won't comment on your system of government, especially as I know very little about it. However, if you choose not to vote you really shouldn't complain. How do you know that your one vote couldn't have changed it, for that matter, if every single non-voter had voted imagine the possibilities.

I'm simply suggesting that you should vote, then if you lose, complain. I'm unaware of the circumstances of the Al Gore/George Bush-more votes total-less states total-some shit that went down.

Just vote, seriously.
The US government sucks. It claims to be a democracy for the people, but in reality it is a government that does the bidding of the highest bidder.

In presidential elections, whoever gets the most votes in a a state wins the states and takes what are essentially points (Which is the number of senators (2 per state) plus the number of Representatives (which varies depending on population). Highly populated states like Texas and California get all the attention. A person just has to win the 13 (I think it was) most populated of the 50 states to become president. Which means number of actual votes is irrelevant. My single vote wouldn't change a thing since there has yet to be any federal voting on anything that has come down to the last vote. So voting in federal nonsense is pointless. Local voting is less irrelevant, but still just as pointless of a charade.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
demoman_chaos said:
StBishop said:

Just vote, seriously.
The US government sucks. It claims to be a democracy for the people, but in reality it is a government that does the bidding of the highest bidder.

In presidential elections, whoever gets the most votes in a a state wins the states and takes what are essentially points (Which is the number of senators (2 per state) plus the number of Representatives (which varies depending on population). Highly populated states like Texas and California get all the attention. A person just has to win the 13 (I think it was) most populated of the 50 states to become president. Which means number of actual votes is irrelevant. My single vote wouldn't change a thing since there has yet to be any federal voting on anything that has come down to the last vote. So voting in federal nonsense is pointless. Local voting is less irrelevant, but still just as pointless of a charade.
I understand what you're saying about one vote not counting, but 1,000,000 x 1 vote = 1,000,000 votes. If everyone thought their vote didn't count no one would vote.

I think everyone should do their part to make a difference even if it feels redundant.

From the sounds of it you've got a buggered up system there. You know how to fix that. Change it, "Be the change you want to see in the world" is the quote I'm looking for.

I realise that the majority of U.S. citizens that are Escapists will most likely not end up the President, however anyone of us could (Criminal record notwithstanding) become a local official. I'm not sure if it works the same in the US but in Australia the local Members for Parliment have a pretty good say in what goes down.

Just sayin' you can make a difference.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
StBishop said:
I understand what you're saying about one vote not counting, but 1,000,000 x 1 vote = 1,000,000 votes. If everyone thought their vote didn't count no one would vote.

I think everyone should do their part to make a difference even if it feels redundant.

From the sounds of it you've got a buggered up system there. You know how to fix that. Change it, "Be the change you want to see in the world" is the quote I'm looking for.

I realise that the majority of U.S. citizens that are Escapists will most likely not end up the President, however anyone of us could (Criminal record notwithstanding) become a local official. I'm not sure if it works the same in the US but in Australia the local Members for Parliment have a pretty good say in what goes down.

Yes if a million people vote there will be 1 million votes, none of which would be relevant by itself. 999,999 votes instead would make no difference (unless it was a draw, which doesn't happen in politics). Point I am trying to get across is a single vote matters not. So me not going to the booths will have no effect on the grand scheme of things.

I am one to not waste effort on pointlessness. If it isn't worth doing, why do it?

Local official yes, but to become the big wig you need to at least have a few hundred million dollars to throw around. Plus you have to be part of the "in" crowd to be selected by your friends to be the front man of their group.
Which leads seamlessly to my next point. Though you may think you have a democracy, if your government is split between 2 parties (we have the Republican and Democrat) your government is just a communism in disguise. Communism is when a government is controlled by 1 party, the US is a dual-communism because we are controlled by 2 parties instead of the USSR's 1.

Gotta love how politics brings people together, eh.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
demoman_chaos said:
StBishop said:

Yes if a million people vote there will be 1 million votes, none of which would be relevant by itself. 999,999 votes instead would make no difference (unless it was a draw, which doesn't happen in politics). Point I am trying to get across is a single vote matters not. So me not going to the booths will have no effect on the grand scheme of things.

I am one to not waste effort on pointlessness. If it isn't worth doing, why do it?

Local official yes, but to become the big wig you need to at least have a few hundred million dollars to throw around. Plus you have to be part of the "in" crowd to be selected by your friends to be the front man of their group.
Which leads seamlessly to my next point. Though you may think you have a democracy, if your government is split between 2 parties (we have the Republican and Democrat) your government is just a communism in disguise. Communism is when a government is controlled by 1 party, the US is a dual-communism because we are controlled by 2 parties instead of the USSR's 1.

Gotta love how politics brings people together, eh.
I see what you're getting at, honestly, I do. But do you really think that you're the only one not voting. By not voting you're adding to the problem.

Would you rather have a positive effect or a negative effect. They are your options.

I understand that the system is broken, but you can do something about it. Sure, it'll probably take a couple of generations to fix, but do you honestly think that it isn't worth trying to fix it now so that the system actually works sooner rather than later?

Also, I think you're slightly mistaken about how communism works. I don't claim to know alot about it, but I know enought that I think you're missing the point.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
StBishop said:
I see what you're getting at, honestly, I do. But do you really think that you're the only one not voting. By not voting you're adding to the problem.

Would you rather have a positive effect or a negative effect. They are your options.

I understand that the system is broken, but you can do something about it. Sure, it'll probably take a couple of generations to fix, but do you honestly think that it isn't worth trying to fix it now so that the system actually works sooner rather than later?

Also, I think you're slightly mistaken about how communism works. I don't claim to know a lot about it, but I know enought that I think you're missing the point.
Would the world be different if everyone voted, perhaps. Would it be better, probably not since most people are idiots who know only what the propaganda tells them and don't research the candidates. If there was a test to make sure you knew what the subjects were before you voted (which there should be), I doubt any of the non-voters would pass it (and most of the voters would probably fail as well). The uninformed can't make an informed decision.

You forgot about neutral effects. Neither good or bad. I like being neutral, saves me money on colors. Things are never black and white, they are far from it. Every decision has consequences, but very few of those decisions are ever fully positive or fully negative. Even killing the bad guy has some negative consequences (someone has to clean up the mess you made, and what a mess it is).

If there is money, there is corruption. Only way to solve the problem is to get rid of money, something very few will ever accept. As long as there is money and governments, there will be corruption in them.

Democracy is when the people vote on issues. Fascism is when 1 guy rules everything. Communism is when the government is run by a single group of people. Most governments these days are run by 2-3 groups of people, which falls into the communist section. Each individual that is voted in does nothing more than push the interests of their faction. If the political party system was abolished and each candidate had to assert their worthiness instead of just riding off their backing, then maybe I'd vote.

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
Mcface said:
Blindswordmaster said:
Mcface said:
Blindswordmaster said:
There are just certain situations, where you forfeit your right to ***** about it. Ex: You refused to buy flood insurance, though you could afford it and you live in a flood zone. Your house is damaged in a flood. You don't get to complain there. If you have no one to blame but yourself in a situation, you can't complain about it. End of story.*End Rant.
You don't have the right to complain if your entire house and all of your possessions are destroyed?

SORRY, YOU GOT SHOT BY A CRIMINAL, YOU COULD HAVE BOUGHT BODY ARMOR BUT YOU DIDN'T LOLOLOL
You knew the risks, had the means to alter the situation, but you willfully ignored the danger? You don't get to ***** about it! If you make a tiger perform and he bites you, I will laugh. You ignored the risks, now you must suffer.
Thats your fault. Your home being destroyed by a flood is not your fault. Getting randomly shot, is not your fault.
Having no flood insurance in a flood zone, you can complain about having your home destroyed, but not about replacing or repairing yours stuff.

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
Trivun said:
Anyone complaining about any form of entertainment does not, EVER, have the right to do so unless they've witnessed that entertainment for themselves. Main case in point, nobody has the right to complain about Twilight unless they read the books or saw the films for themselves. And by that I mean sat through it, not just given up halfway saying it's shit. Committ to something if you want to earn the right to complain about it.

Same goes for Halo, Uwe Boll movies, and pretty much anything else.
Twilight was shit and i hate it.

Also, chicks who wear tight, low-cut tops have NO right to complain when someone stares at their boobs.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
demoman_chaos said:
StBishop said:
- Snip-ety Doo-Da
Would the world be different if everyone voted, perhaps. Would it be better, probably not since most people are idiots who know only what the propaganda tells them and don't research the candidates. If there was a test to make sure you knew what the subjects were before you voted (which there should be), I doubt any of the non-voters would pass it (and most of the voters would probably fail as well). The uninformed can't make an informed decision.

You forgot about neutral effects. Neither good or bad. I like being neutral, saves me money on colors. Things are never black and white, they are far from it. Every decision has consequences, but very few of those decisions are ever fully positive or fully negative. Even killing the bad guy has some negative consequences (someone has to clean up the mess you made, and what a mess it is).

If there is money, there is corruption. Only way to solve the problem is to get rid of money, something very few will ever accept. As long as there is money and governments, there will be corruption in them.

Democracy is when the people vote on issues. Fascism is when 1 guy rules everything. Communism is when the government is run by a single group of people. Most governments these days are run by 2-3 groups of people, which falls into the communist section. Each individual that is voted in does nothing more than push the interests of their faction. If the political party system was abolished and each candidate had to assert their worthiness instead of just riding off their backing, then maybe I'd vote.
I suppose you're right, voting without any knowledge of what you're voting for is about as bad as not voting.

I agree that money should be removed, if only from government campaigns. I think we need money because without it there would be very little to bargain with. Eventually we will re-invent currency.

I like the idea that candidates must prove their worth beyond their political affiliations, and there are independent candidates down here, however they rarely win elections compared to the major parties.

You've got a good point in regards to voting on decisions too, there should be more refferendums in my opinion.

Also, seeing as we're on the topic of opinions about political proceedure. I think state legislature is bollocks. Needs to be abolished and replaced by national laws.

Also, I regards to twilight, Can I say the books were horrible if I started reading it then hated it. Especially if this was before the movies etc.?

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
StBishop said:
I agree that money should be removed, if only from government campaigns. I think we need money because without it there would be very little to bargain with. Eventually we will re-invent currency.

I like the idea that candidates must prove their worth beyond their political affiliations, and there are independent candidates down here, however they rarely win elections compared to the major parties.

You've got a good point in regards to voting on decisions too, there should be more refferendums in my opinion.

Also, seeing as we're on the topic of opinions about political proceedure. I think state legislature is bollocks. Needs to be abolished and replaced by national laws.

Also, I regards to twilight, Can I say the books were horrible if I started reading it then hated it. Especially if this was before the movies etc.?
Money could be taken away entirely, people just need to find something else to work for. Some people can work just for the sake of it, some work to better humanity, others do it because their job is fun (my job can be fun, but normally it sucks being in customer service), and eventually most will find their own reasions to work. Since moeny wouldn't be an issue, all factory labor can be done by robots (the battle between people needing jobs vs robots doing those jobs wouldn't exist). Quality would be consistant and there would be a lot less accidents. Crime would also nearly go entirely away, since most crimes are in pursuit of financial gain. There would be no political corruption either.

The reason no independant gets his dues is because a large chunk of voters vote only by party. They see bloke A is red and pillock B is blue, so they vote for bloke A on the simple fact he is red and nothing else. Independants hardly even get looked at because they aren't red or blue.

Big decisions shouldn't be decided by corrupt suits in private meetings. If they effect the country as a whole, they should be decided on by the people. But it would be futile, the corporate run poll machines would be tampered with and the votes changed when they see fit.

The system is like it is for a reason. Federal for issues that invovle the whole country, state for more localised issues, county, then city, and so for for more localised problems. Something that works for California won't always work for Wyoming. Just like something that works in Canada won't work in Korea.

I hae only 1 thing to say about the Twilight series, I wish Wesley Snipes would do what he did in Blade to the sprakly fags in Twilight.