I'm starting to question why anyone lives in California

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Plus isn't climate change going to render large amounts of the bread basket of the midwest arid, with the bread basket region moving into Canada?
Yea, and then there is the whole problem of there being nothing under the New Madrid fault line failed Continental rift..

* No.. I am not trying to give our Midwesterns nightmares or anything..

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Isn't that more of an urban vs suburban thing? I guess California is has somewhat more concentrated cities and perhaps the fact that those cities are more liberal might have created a bigger space for cultural and entertainment activities. But I'm pretty sure that you could find something similar in Houston, Dallas, New York, or any big city in the US.
No you have areas where one block is the slums and the next block is milionare residences. They even made an app for spotting poop in the sidewalks in real time so people won't walk there lol.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The wildfires create great lighting for filming/photography. The smoke in the air causes the sunlight to shine orange, so "golden hour" lasts a full day.

^^^ Only kind of joking.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
No you have areas where one block is the slums and the next block is milionare residences. They even made an app for spotting poop in the sidewalks in real time so people won't walk there lol.
Dog or human?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Which cities specifically are you talking about? California has a huge variety in their cities, so you have to be talking about specific ones here. LA is an awful mess so you can't really compare what happens there to anywhere else because LA is pretty unique in it's problems. San Francisco also have unique problems specific to itself as well due to a long series of missteps by local government. From my time spent in San Diego, it was a billion times nicer than LA, it is one of the nicest cities I have visited anywhere though and I REALLY do not like cities in general as I view them as stinky, dirty and gross as it is. As far as LA is concerned, MOST places are nicer than LA. lol

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Which cities specifically are you talking about? California has a huge variety in their cities, so you have to be talking about specific ones here. LA is an awful mess so you can't really compare what happens there to anywhere else because LA is pretty unique in it's problems. San Francisco also have unique problems specific to itself as well due to a long series of missteps by local government. From my time spent in San Diego, it was a billion times nicer than LA, it is one of the nicest cities I have visited anywhere though and I REALLY do not like cities in general as I view them as stinky, dirty and gross as it is. As far as LA is concerned, MOST places are nicer than LA. lol
I was talking about San Fran. I lived in San Diego for 4~ years and yeah it was way nicer. You can also literally drive over to Mexico for like a day and hang out there, fun times.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I was talking about San Fran. I lived in San Diego for 4~ years and yeah it was way nicer. You can also literally drive over to Mexico for like a day and hang out there, fun times.
Yea the way that San Francisco has addressed gentrification and housing has been a nightmare. It upscaled too fast and just ignored the affordable housing problem until it was massive and you have even well paid techs living out of their cars now. I heard they were actually trying to improve it, but I am going to guess it is far little to actually make that much of a difference. The homeless pretty much declared war on the techs from my understanding there as well though as a result of the housing crisis.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Yea the way that San Francisco has addressed gentrification and housing has been a nightmare. It upscaled too fast and just ignored the affordable housing problem until it was massive and you have even well paid techs living out of their cars now. I heard they were actually trying to improve it, but I am going to guess it is far little to actually make that much of a difference.
There's a community of van-pimpers where they make a van into basically a mobile home equipped with power generators and showers and everything and they just live out of those. Also there's a huge issue of chinese money launderers buying up all the housing to just launder their money and leaving them empty so you have tons of vacant properties just sitting there. It's a huge component of why there's a housing crisis because a normal person won't be able to afford what a CCP oligarch can offer for a property.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
On the plus side, we'll finally be rid of Florida, so there's that.
We're not that lucky, we'll just end up with methed-out retirement arcologies, undersea dome cities, and itinerant boating communities. The burmese pythons, that's what I feel sorry for; they didn't ask for this shit, they're not big enough to take out Florida people on their own, and the Florida people are at least smart enough to not eat them due to mercury bioaccumulation.

That said, nobody gives a fuck about the midwest until food prices go up, then there's hell to pay.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
There's a community of van-pimpers where they make a van into basically a mobile home equipped with power generators and showers and everything and they just live out of those. Also there's a huge issue of chinese money launderers buying up all the housing to just launder their money and leaving them empty so you have tons of vacant properties just sitting there. It's a huge component of why there's a housing crisis because a normal person won't be able to afford what a CCP oligarch can offer for a property.
Yea.. see my whole " massive tax on owning multiple properties that increases with EACH additional property they own + Rent controls" would put and end to that.. People need to realize what a problem this is causing all across the US, not just cities like San Francisco, they are doing this ALL over the US in the cities and the suburbs. Not just the Chinese either, when you read up on how " Wall Street being the largest home owner in the US" now you will see why this is such a problem. We cannot address affordable housing or homelessness without addressing the few people/companies buying all the properties.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It was very hot in LA yesterday.

1599511234761.png

Seriously though, it was 121 degrees in LA yesterday. Everyone who says global warming doesn't exist should come visit and stand outside for an hour.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
It was very hot in LA yesterday.

View attachment 774

Seriously though, it was 121 degrees in LA yesterday. Everyone who says global warming doesn't exist should come visit and stand outside for an hour.
It is crazy how much hotter it is there vs San Diego though. San Diego was 100F yesterday breaking their own records and 74F today.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
To be fair California is huge and there are a lot of different climates and areas. I mean Los Angeles is a nightmarish hellhole - why anyone decided to build a city in the middle of a desert is beyond me. But other parts of Cali are totally livable, even nice.
Not Bakersfield, obviously, but other places.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
A lot of it is quite nice, in my 27 years of experience.
We just think it is nice until we go to San Diego and finally realize how bad it is here. XD

We come home and look around and think.. Where's our Mountain? Seals? Paradise? Perfect weather?