I'm starting to question why anyone lives in California

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
At this point I don't get why anyone would want to live anywhere but some of the northern states. The southeast has hurricanes, the midwest has tornadoes, the westcoast has forest fires and earthquakes. And places like Arizona is just swelteringly hot all the time.
Why do people insist on living in places that are so hostile to human life? Why did someone decide to build cities in frigging deserts? Why live in areas that regularly flood or need to have windows boarded up on yearly basis?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
At this point I don't get why anyone would want to live anywhere but some of the northern states. The southeast has hurricanes, the midwest has tornadoes, the westcoast has forest fires and earthquakes. And places like Arizona is just swelteringly hot all the time.
Why do people insist on living in places that are so hostile to human life? Why did someone decide to build cities in frigging deserts? Why live in areas that regularly flood or need to have windows boarded up on yearly basis?
The southeast have ports to Latin American markets. The west coast likewise with the Pacific. Desert cities are generally located at hubs of historical trade routes and rail lines.

Nobody cares about the midwest.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
My sister lives in San Diego. I can see why she would rather live no where else. Perfect weather all year round, she can go to the mountains for snow to sleep with the bears or surfing in the ocean in the same day. It really is incredible there even considering all other issues. It truly is a beautiful place to live. I can see why people want to live in paradise. She tells me constantly how she wakes up every day with some different animal in her yard due to how much wildlife is there.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
*Cries in Minnesotan*
There there tippy, it'll be all right, just do what all us other midwesterners do: move to the southwest (the amount of people my family has come across that came from around the same area of Chicago suburbs is ridiculous).

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Actually, I just figured out why no one cares about the midwest: no mountains.

Think about it; most other parts of the country benefit from some form of giant rock formation (out west the rockies, east has the Appalachians), and in the middle is wide open, giant flat spaces of nothing from Texas on up to Iowa, where you can drive at 100+ mph for hours and not see anything more interesting than fencing and maybe some cows.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Actually, I just figured out why no one cares about the midwest: no mountains.

Think about it; most other parts of the country benefit from some form of giant rock formation (out west the rockies, east has the Appalachians), and in the middle is wide open, giant flat spaces of nothing from Texas on up to Iowa, where you can drive at 100+ mph for hours and not see anything more interesting than fencing and maybe some cows.
Disagree

While yes the Midwest has no mountains we...

Decide the presidential elections
Are mostly safe from climate change due to large amounts of freshwater
Low taxes
Low Cost of living

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
California's awesome to live in as long as you're rich enough to gate yourself away from the normal people there actually. I was there for 4~ years (now back to the NE again) and I had a fighting game tourney venue 15 minutes away from my house. I gotta make a 2 hour drive here x.x

Reactions: MrCalavera

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
California's awesome to live in as long as you're rich enough to gate yourself away from the normal people there actually. I was there for 4~ years (now back to the NE again) and I had a fighting game tourney venue 15 minutes away from my house. I gotta make a 2 hour drive here x.x
Isn't that more of an urban vs suburban thing? I guess California is has somewhat more concentrated cities and perhaps the fact that those cities are more liberal might have created a bigger space for cultural and entertainment activities. But I'm pretty sure that you could find something similar in Houston, Dallas, New York, or any big city in the US.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Disagree

While yes the Midwest has no mountains we...

Are mostly safe from climate change due to large amounts of freshwater
Ahem....

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Ahem....
Plus isn't climate change going to render large amounts of the bread basket of the midwest arid, with the bread basket region moving into Canada?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Plus isn't climate change going to render large amounts of the bread basket of the midwest arid, with the bread basket region moving into Canada?
Or put it underwater when the sea levels rise. A lot of the midwest is close to sea level. Louisiana is gonna be fucked and I have no doubt that's going to extend up the mississippi.

On the plus side, we'll finally be rid of Florida, so there's that.