Im super proud of 4chan.

gagagaga

Aug 17, 2013
Yeah, this seems less that 4chan actually cares about women in the game industry than trying to get one over the feminazis/"look, we're not sexist, really! Look at all this money we're donating to charity!"

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
As for Quinn. She fucked some people and cheated on her boyfriend. Really dont give a shit. Or is the issue that they were video game journalists thats the issue?
Kinda. Some people are comparing this to Doritogate if you recall that. But more people are actually raising the question of how corrupt, bribable and sleazy game journalism is. Problem is since Quinn's sexual news coming out kinda started this whole thing, it keeps looping back to her and how bad the gamers(read customers) are. Throw on the censoring of discussion, most the journalists siding with Quinn or even attacking their own readers for being bad and you have a cocktail of trouble.

In short, this started ugly, got uglier thanks to both sides, and probably will remain ugly the rest of the year. If not get worse.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
MerlinCross said:
In short, this started ugly, got uglier thanks to both sides, and probably will remain ugly the rest of the year. If not get worse.
Well, PAX that's going on is going to be litmus test for how ugly it's going to get. I already have heard accusations of constant "sound problems" whenever audience gets loud in live transmissions. Don't have an idea is that true but if it is, it's gonna turn into internet's equivalent of battle of Verdun in WWI.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
@carnex

Yeah Pax is gonna be ugly. I wish it wouldn't be since that means I can focus on what I want which is guess what; games. But no, this whole thing is gonna get messy since one side or the other will probably use this as a soapbox or staging ground or something.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zipa said:
I have quite frequently criticized Anita and I have never been called a misogynist, a kid, or had my taste in hats questioned. If we want to move anywhere, we need to stop letting stereotypes rule the discussion.

Then again I mainly criticize the content of her videos because I really don't care what comments she said off handily four years ago that seem to make up huge sections of some debates about her, make of that what you will.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
carnex said:
MerlinCross said:
Well, PAX that's going on is going to be litmus test for how ugly it's going to get. I already have heard accusations of constant "sound problems" whenever audience gets loud in live transmissions. Don't have an idea is that true but if it is, it's gonna turn into internet's equivalent of battle of Verdun in WWI.
As long as people here keep the peace and strive to enter dialogue, there'll still be a point.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
RAiKE8 said:
Yeah, this seems less that 4chan actually cares about women in the game industry than trying to get one over the feminazis/"look, we're not sexist, really! Look at all this money we're donating to charity!"
It came across to me more of "yeah, we're sexist, but at least we're doing something anyway."
However I can't be sure of this as there's a problem in assuming the gestalt entity that is 4chan moves under anything close to consensus.

You see, it's true that spite is one of the majority motivators, but 4chan isn't one entity, nor is it a geographical location.
People who go there do not do so exclusively and they are by no means of one mind.
Not everyone donated out of spite, even if the idea that spawned it came from someone who did.

If people do have a problem with 4chan being the majority donation source, one solution may be to out donate them.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Agayek said:
1) Basically, Zoe Quinn's ex-boyfriend published a blog that outed her as an abusive girlfriend and had proof that she cheated on him with members of the game industry and the gaming press. This sparked some controversy, as Nathan Grayson, a journalist writing for Kotaku and RPS, was named and he had written a couple articles spotlighting her game, Depression Quest. People blew this way out of proportion and became convinced Quinn was trading sexual favors for coverage of her game. There's zero evidence of that and it almost certainly didn't happen, but that won't stop the internet.

The more interesting part is the other stuff that the allegations and the investigations into them revealed, namely that there's a worrying closeness between gaming journalism and the devs they cover and there are frequent undisclosed conflicts of interest behind the scenes of many articles that were published. The recent furor is mostly about that topic and journalistic integrity, with a small but extremely vocal subset on both sides repeatedly trying to drag it back onto the sex and feminism topics that everyone with sense has long since abandoned.
For people still in the dark of what all the fussing is about: this is a great tl;dr version of the whole mess.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
One good deed does not redeem a man from a lifetime of wickedness.

- Norrington

Sorry, 4Chan. And yes, I know they've done some other good things but the bad things far outweigh the good.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
The fact remains that /v/ is the vast majority of the income for TFYC, i.e. more than everybody in this forum and every "game journalist" combined.

What has the games media done? They refuse to talk about it because it doesn't fit their narrative. Remember, unless its something to get self-righteous about, it doesn't exist. That's why Sarkeesian and Quinn are literally the only people that matter. The countless number of men that get death threats daily? Please. They couldn't give two shits about them. What exactly have the games media contributed to actual feminism besides self-righteousness? What exactly has Quinn contributed to feminism?

In the end it comes down to this: Its actions that matter, and /v/ has demonstrated they've done more for feminism than Sarkeesion, Quinn, the games media, and all their white knights combined. In this case by not even caring about TFYC or their cause, you already have done more for feminism than any self-righteous prick spewing irrelevant rhetoric.

GenuflectHonesty

Aug 21, 2014
Arnoxthe1 said:
One good deed does not redeem a man from a lifetime of wickedness.

- Norrington

Sorry, 4Chan. And yes, I know they've done some other good things but the bad things far outweigh the good.
You've never even been there once or know anything else they've done, I can tell just from seeing this one post.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
You shouldn't be, 4chan is built up of random people. You should be proud of the random, anonymous people, not 4chan as a whole.

It'd be like me saying I'm proud of the escapist based on what a user posted. The escapist would have nothing to do with it.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
There was a Twitlonger post somewhere in the middle of the Zoe thread by a feminist blogger that had my point here.

Paraphrased:
"To all the people who say this was all given out of spite, I don't think they would do that if they didn't already believe in it in some way. If trolls were to fill my blog with NSFW pics, I would not immediately donate to an anti-abortion cause just because they were going to spite them"

"And to all who say this is still wrong, isn't that what we did with [-----]? She said she was being harassed so we all donated to spite the people harassing her?"

Name blanked out because I KNOW just mentioning it will cause derailment.

The fact that /v/ actually created a sensibly dressed female character for a game jam made by women boggles my mind. Perhaps at the end of this, at least there will be more female game developers and characters brought about by the awareness of the situation and the fact that even a part of 4chan is able to do this....
And perhaps winged primates will erupt from my bottom.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Olas said:
If the goal was merely to spite certain people /v/ could have done so in a whole manner of ways that weren't constructive and didn't cost them any money. The creation of Vivian and the supporting of a charity to promote female involvement in game development was clearly done to counter accusations of misogyny.

You can say they wouldn't have done it if they didn't have pressure to do so, but neither would most people, including many people who identify as feminists, otherwise this thing would have been funded in no time. And the way I see it, people who want to avoid a certain label, are usually not very fond of the label, and by extension what it represents. If they were truly misogynistic, it doesn't seem like something they would do. It's kind of like a KKK member donating money to the NAACP to try and prove they aren't racist.
Why does this seem at all unusual to you? It's called "damage control" or "public relations". The idea is to change one's image through one's actions. It would be like if Hitler financed a Holocaust museum. Or if Israel agreed to a cease fire with Hamas.

Rarely does any force in the world have infinite power. The actions of agents of power take into consideration OTHER forces of power that affect THEIR OWN power. Effective public relations is designed to create more gain from a situation than the cost expended. So when Oprah gives away a car "for free" on her show, the idea is that the publicity she gains from the giveaway is worth more to her than the cost of the car. Likewise, the creation of a "pro-feminist" project by historically anti-feminist gamer forces is designed to create more benefit for their image than the cost of the project itself.

If Hitler had lived through WWII, public relations advice would have told him to apologize, say it was all a "mistake", finance a Holocaust museum, and redefine his image.

People who care more for power than standing up for what they "believe in" will do ANYTHING for additional power, regardless of how much it seems to detract from what they "believe in". In truth, all these people really care about is power itself.

Despite this ridiculous situation, the good news is that for the first time in gaming history, feminism has become a powerful enough force to trigger a public relations response. Hitler certainly wasn't willing to finance a Holocaust museum DURING the Holocaust and if Hamas had just rolled over and died during the Israeli assault the ceasefire would not have happened.

Hopefully this action signals a new day for feminism in gaming.

TheBestNameEver

Dec 11, 2012
I browse 4chan regularly (mostly /v/, /tg/, and /a/ occasionaly. btw fuck /b/ that board has been stale for years now). I do know that Vivian was made for a game jcontestthat was sabotaged over bullshit(the game contest was I believe accused of being sexist and mysoganistic even though they where making a game for whichever womans idea won the contest FOR FREE!). So /v/ like "ffuck that noise"vand made vivian to be used in whichever game won. People often associate /b/ as being all of 4chan because /b/ (or /pol/) are usuakly the boards that cause the most ruckus. I support 4chan, fuck Quinn and fuck corroupt journalism. I don't even give a shit about Zoe Quinn anymore because she isn't relevNt anymore, I give a shit about journalists who will take money and easy pussy in exchslange for integraty. That bothers me

Tl;dr:I support 4chan (also I apologize about the grammer and spelling errors, I'm on a shitty phone annd it's 3:49 here)

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I would honestly say 4chan has shat the bed more times then they've cleaned it, so if the whole site collapsed in on itself out of pure stupidity I would die laughing maincally... then go back to my day to day life as the walking undead and nobody would be the wiser.

Being proud of 4Chan is like being proud of a paddock full of cow shit. Sure the grass is nice and green but that's because of all the shit.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
I like everything about this, ive always believed diversity in video games would come when we voted with our wallets rather than screaming. We can improve an industry by reacting positively to new ideas and themes to encourage more outside the box thinking. Ill go donate now if i can :3